Old 02-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
NsaintP
Human being with feelings

Default Newb needs assistance

Hi guys,

Long time lurker here, been using Reaper 6 or 7 years. I really appreciate all the helpful posts I've found here. I'm upping my skillset a bit preparing for a big spoken word editing job. Looking at 4-5 hrs in length once completed.

I'm looking to assign a double click mouse function to select an item without moving the edit cursor. This is easy enough when you assign it to a single click. But I need to keep single click behavior as is, i.e. select an item and MOVE edit cursor. Having both behaviors at my fingertips as single and double click will make my workflow that much smoother.

This should be easy to do, a basic drop down menu option for double click in mouse modifiers, right? Yet there is no double click modifier option for select item without moving edit cursor as there is for the drop down menu for single click.

I tried to find a suitable action in the action list, and seemed to find something to fit the bill along the lines of 'select item without moving edit cursor' or similar (can't remember exact wording now). Anyway, when I assigned it to double click it didn't work. It seems that whatever edit cursor option you choose for single click overrides the double click option. Maybe this is why there's no option for selecting an item without moving edit cursor in the double click drop down menu?

Any help greatly advised. Not sure if it matters but I'm on Win 7, 64 bit. I've got the latest version of reaper. I've also got Reapak and SMS. Incredible!!

Thanks again for the help and knowledge base. Open Source forever!!!

N
NsaintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Philbo King

I use R.click + short drag to select stuff without affecting cursors.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
NsaintP

Thanks Philbo. If there's no alternative I'll go with R.click + short drag but I'm surprised this isn't as simple as adding an action or something.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Anyway, when I assigned it to double click it didn't work. It seems that whatever edit cursor option you choose for single click overrides the double click option.
In general, the first mouse click of the 'Double-Click' will also trigger the assigned Single Left Click Action of the same Mouse Modifier Context.

As example, let's say you have something assigned to [Media Item] [double click]:

One possible option would be to assign, for instance, 'Select Item' (instead of 'Select Item and move edit cursor') to [Media Item] [left click] (so the cursor won't move on the first click of the double-click).

Another possible option would be to assign different Mouse Modifiers for clicking on the top and bottom half of a Media Item:
  • [Media Item] [left click]: Select Item and move edit cursor
  • [Media Item bottom half] [left click]: Select Item

Or assigning the 'Select Item' and 'Select Item and move edit cursor' Actions to different Modifier Keys.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
NsaintP

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
In general, the first mouse click of the 'Double-Click' will also trigger the assigned Single Left Click Action of the same Mouse Modifier Context.

As example, let's say you have something assigned to [Media Item] [double click]:

One possible option would be to assign, for instance, 'Select Item' (instead of 'Select Item and move edit cursor') to [Media Item] [left click] (so the cursor won't move on the first click of the double-click).

Another possible option would be to assign different Mouse Modifiers for clicking on the top and bottom half of a Media Item:
  • [Media Item] [left click]: Select Item and move edit cursor
  • [Media Item bottom half] [left click]: Select Item

Or assigning the 'Select Item' and 'Select Item and move edit cursor' Actions to different Modifier Keys.

Spot on Solger, that makes perfect sense. Now I understand how it works and have a suitable workflow up and running. I managed to find a script that does everything i need along the lines you've said.

Reaper On!!!