Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
lamacchiacosta
Human being with feelings

Default Archive a project and make sure to copy all the files

Hello,
I have completed a project with Reaper and now I would like to archive it, making sure to save and have all the needed files with the project. Is there an "Archive" function, like Nuendo, where all the files are searched and copied in the project Audio Folder?
Many thanks.
lamacchiacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Stella645

Save as and check the options in the dialogue.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Coachz

I just have my projects in folders and backup the folders. Is that wrong ? I seem to have no problem moving them around or renaming them and then reopening them.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I just have my projects in folders and backup the folders. Is that wrong ? I seem to have no problem moving them around or renaming them and then reopening them.
^That's perfectly fine, however if someone wanted to make a copy and leave behind any files that are there but no longer being used like deleted takes etc., Save As > Copy makes a great quick and easy archive. Running clean project directory, then a manual copy would be about the same except... There could be some rare case where there was an external file (like if I wasn't paying attention) and the Save As method will account for that. It's slightly more no-brainer.

IMHO there is still the risk with the above methods where if a VST or something goes missing or stops working or who knows what, we'd be in a tough spot. Just saying that if archiving a completed project, it isn't a bad idea to export stems with the track FX rendered etc. just in case.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
^That's perfectly fine, however if someone wanted to make a copy and leave behind any files that are there but no longer being used like deleted takes etc., Save As > Copy makes a great quick and easy archive. Running clean project directory, then a manual copy would be about the same except... There could be some rare case where there was an external file (like if I wasn't paying attention) and the Save As method will account for that. It's slightly more no-brainer.

IMHO there is still the risk with the above methods where if a VST or something goes missing or stops working or who knows what, we'd be in a tough spot. Just saying that if archiving a completed project, it isn't a bad idea to export stems with the track FX rendered etc. just in case.
ahh cool, Yeah I have prefs / Media / copy imported media to project media directory
And then I run "clean current project directory" so I think i'm ok. It drove me nuts to not have it all in a directory.

Coachz Repo
Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
lamacchiacosta

Yes, it drives me nuts too.
As I am still learning this DAW I still need to make my head around it. By default the "copy imported media to project media directory" is unselected and my first projects don't have the media saved in the same Audio folder, so I need to retrieve them all. I found that option last night and from now on hopefully all my filed will be where they should.
Thanks guys!
lamacchiacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamacchiacosta View Post
Yes, it drives me nuts too.
As I am still learning this DAW I still need to make my head around it. By default the "copy imported media to project media directory" is unselected and my first projects don't have the media saved in the same Audio folder, so I need to retrieve them all. I found that option last night and from now on hopefully all my filed will be where they should.
Thanks guys!
Great! I think it should default ON!

Coachz Repo