Old 06-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer UMC1820

I just got a UMC1820 yesterday, then some monsoon storms came through and we lost power. My Xubuntu DAW came back up but was screwy, and my attmepts to fix it only made it worse to the point of booting to a blackscreen with a white pointer that doesn't function.

So I just spent the last five hours setting up a virgin install on an empty SSD and am now trying the UMC1820 out.

In REAPER I'm using ALSA set for 32 samples which gets me 0.7/1.4ms latency, and with it set like that I've recorded a guitar track, bass track, four simultaneous drum tracks, a track of Xhip synth and a track of Dexed. So far, ten tracks with FX already on the drums and instruments it's doing fine, and I have a stock ticker, web browser, and other stuff open while I'm doing this test.

That said . . . I tried putting an instance of Kontakt into this test project, and it instantly started having gaps in the playback. I then tried playing my last project and set this low it also gapped since it has lots of Windows plugins being bridged. I increased the sample buffer to 128 and it played the project fine.

From this initial experimenting, it looks like tracking and using only native Linux plugins you could run sooper low latency, but start adding Windows plugins and 64 or 128 will probably be needed.

As for setting up on a virgin system, it only took selecting the UMC1820 for the ALSA device and setting 8 inputs and 10 outputs along with the buffers, Etc., and it was up and running. The MIDI interface is seen by REAPER and functioned as expected.

So far I'm pretty pleased and able to work like I am used to with my older M-Audio hardware. The mic pres seem to handle the SPL of acoustic drums just fine, which I was sort of worried about.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Mcgiver69

People tend to give Behringer a lot of grief but those U-Phoria interfaces work very well and the mic pres are very good for no much money.

Glad to hear you are back up and running.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
BobF

Congrats on finally doing it!
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
People tend to give Behringer a lot of grief but those U-Phoria interfaces work very well and the mic pres are very good for no much money.

Glad to hear you are back up and running.
I'm on my second mixer from them and the first one was working perfectly when I sold it. I just wanted a smaller one that would fit in the racks built into my desk. As well as the UMC1820 seems to be working on the second day, I may be able to sell that second Behringer mixer now because everything I had plugged into it is now plugged into the UMC1820.

And since I have dedicated drum mics, vocal/instrument mic, and isolated guitar cabinet mics, I made track templates in REAPER so I can add a drum section for instance, and all the mic inputs are instantly routed and ready to record. With my mixer I would always have to drop all the faders, and then bring up only the ones for what I am recording. The new unit I can leave everything up because if REAPER isn't listening on that channel it doesn't matter what it might be picking up.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Congrats on finally doing it!
Thanks Bob! I've been looking at that unit for at least a year.

Last night I disabled the VIA audio on my motherboard, and set the first of my two M-Audio cards as the computer audio in both Windows and Linux. For now I'm leaving both M-Audio cards in the DAW, since I haven't really recorded anything but a couple twenty or thirty second tests.

Once I've done a full project or two with the UMC1820 I plan to pull the second card and put it into the second of my two HTPC machines. The first one does full Dolby Digital 5.1 over TosLink, but the second HTPC is only stereo with and older Pro Logic receiver so a Delta 2496 would be a big upgrade for it from an old Soundblaster Live that I used back when Pete Leoni posted how to use them as a hardware host for SoundFonts.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
BobF

FYI - I replaced the C-Control with a XENIX Control 2 USB

Another awesome Behringer unit.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
FYI - I replaced the C-Control with a XENIX Control 2 USB

Another awesome Behringer unit.
One of those wouldn't fit in my rack as good as the C-Control.

I have an earlier series Samson headphone distribution amp side-by-side with my C-Control. They work real well together and I have a permanent dedicated headphone feed to my acoustic drums, but it gets it's feed from the C-Control. You can see the headphone amp with C-Control right below the UMC1820 and Korg tuner in this pic.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-15-2019 at 09:37 AM.