Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #41
Razor
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
Um, wow. This is going to sound unintentionally condescending, but have you ever done live sound in a working venue with multiple live acts?

"Sound check" is to make sure the mic placement and feedback control is good. Unless we are purely talking about DJs, the "sound" and relative level of the band is going to change drastically from song to song, as well as being vastly different in front of a packed, sweaty house of screaming, bass-absorbing fans than it was at the empty 6pm soundcheck.

I spent years working as a live FOH mixer. Maybe there are massively big-budget stadium tours with separate techs to control repeatability in specific speaker feeds, where they could do the live mix like a studio mix in that way, but I never encountered them, even dealing with some pretty famous major-label acts.

Sound-check, in my experience, is mostly placement-testing and feedback-control. Fader placement might be useful for like half a second into the first song. When the crowd starts screaming, you need to crank the leads and upper-mids to stay above the white-noise roar. When the crowd gets bored/quiet, you drop off the ear-splitting highs and crank up the kick/snare/bass and whatever instrument is kicking ass at the moment.

This notion of set-it-and-forget-it live mixing is either more advanced skill and budget than I have ever seen, or else pure fantasy. The plain reality of live FOH mixing is that the noise floor is changing constantly in both volume and timbre, and that's what you have to stay ahead of. When the audience is screaming and into it, you need to punch up the presence-range clarity to deafening levels to cut through it, and when the audience quiets down, you need to back off the ear-splitting upper midrange and get them back into it with a punchy, bass-heavy clap-along sound.

That's been my experience, anyway.
I have to agree with yep here.

I use scenes because I'm not the only engineer that does sound at my church. We have a few other people and I don't really like how they set their EQs and Comps. Having recall-able EQ, Comp, and in my case especially, head-amps, is very nice.

IMO, motorized faders are really only necessary if your mixer has layers. I use an M-400 mixer with 48 channels and in order to give it a small foot print it only has 24 faders, but it has 3 layers (1-24, 25-48 and AUX 1-16 + MTX 1-8).

I can never go off the sound check levels once the worship set actually starts because the sound is completely different in an empty room than a room full of people. That and musicians tend to play differently when a crowd is there than when they're just playing to the sound man. I've had the gain setting be perfect at sound check, then the worship set starts and the singer is clipping the mic input. Or the guitarist hits a pedal and clips the mic input (or gives me a super weak signal that I can't do anything with). Then of course, when they switch from a fast tempo, guitar-driven song to a slow, piano-driven song, I have to change everything.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #42
Audiosyncrasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I have to agree with yep here.

I use scenes because I'm not the only engineer that does sound at my church. We have a few other people and I don't really like how they set their EQs and Comps. Having recall-able EQ, Comp, and in my case especially, head-amps, is very nice.

IMO, motorized faders are really only necessary if your mixer has layers. I use an M-400 mixer with 48 channels and in order to give it a small foot print it only has 24 faders, but it has 3 layers (1-24, 25-48 and AUX 1-16 + MTX 1-8).

I can never go off the sound check levels once the worship set actually starts because the sound is completely different in an empty room than a room full of people. That and musicians tend to play differently when a crowd is there than when they're just playing to the sound man. I've had the gain setting be perfect at sound check, then the worship set starts and the singer is clipping the mic input. Or the guitarist hits a pedal and clips the mic input (or gives me a super weak signal that I can't do anything with). Then of course, when they switch from a fast tempo, guitar-driven song to a slow, piano-driven song, I have to change everything.
I think you just summed-up our mixing woes for our worship services too. The other thing we have to worry about is our live room is basically split in half. It used to be a used car place with a warehouse attached. So, the office area has about a 15 ft. ceiling and the warehouse area has a 40 ft ceiling.

To make matters worse, the dimensions are nearly SQUARE (yikes). So, we have standing wave issues, bass holes, etc. We can't turn the mix up very loud because it's not a clean mix. Someone somewhere in the room would be screaming in pain because he/she is in a 1k node.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #43
Toft

I expect the X32 will get a lot of sales in churches. We use an ILive T112 rig, complete with whizzy faders, and there's no doubt it is handy to be able to get back all your settings at the touch of a button after some other joker has been messing with it for a youth event.

I think you actually need to be a better mixer to use a digital desk (with great power comes great responsibility), but many smaller churches without a great tech team are going to look at the X32 and say "yes please". Schools also.

They may realize too late that having to dig through layers to find that pesky feedback channel is a pain, and that now when the kick sounds awful there are ten different things that could be wrong with it instead of two. But they will have scenes, and that is going to sell a lot of these babies.
Toft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #44
pipelineaudio
Mortal

SO does anyone know anything about what the sound card is like?

ASIO drivers?

How many actual ASIO streams are there?

Can it be tapped at any point so you get to record prefader and such?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #45
Toft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
From the website:

The Future is Here—Now!

X32 ships with the insanely powerful XUF FireWire/USB audio interface card pre-installed in the expansion slot right out-of-the-box! XUF provides lowlatency 24-bit audio interfacing with Mac or PC host computers in the form of 32 In x 32 Out channels and MIDI. It even transmits HUI and Mackie Control data along with the audio I/O, which provides convenient remote control of your DAW via the X32 group fader section controls. XUF is compatible with CoreAudio on Mac OS 10.5 and above, and high-performance ASIO drivers for Windows PC are downloadable from behringer.com

FWIW Hugh Robjohns from Sound on Sound says he'd buy it for live use without hesitation, and "I'd also think about it very seriously as a recording console too..."

As for the sound card itself, this is from a reviewer on Sound Forums:
"The X32 recording card uses a bridgeCo chipset and drivers from Archwave! The Prism Orpheus uses also Archwave drivers and the recordingcard on the X32 performes just superb. I have an old ASUS centrio laptop and can get it to work with 64Samples over firewire. With my C2D desktop PC even lower to 48Samples. Most of the competitors (Presonus, Phonic f.e.) use the T.C. electronic DICE II Firewire chipset, which isn't really good, when you need really low latency (64Samples and less)."

I'm not sure at how many points you can choose to take your recording output, but you can certainly take direct out (post-preamp, prefader).
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #46
pipelineaudio
Mortal

LOL at the DICE-II reference, amazing behringer being the lowmarket has the brains to stay away from Dice_II
Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #47
Toft

I think they want this product to lift them out of the "cheap crap" range.

I'm not sure it will, but the Midas name that they're throwing about and the reports about the quality of the preamps and fx do suggest that they have made an effort for this one.

In theory you can run 32 channels through Reaper then back through the desk, so all your VSTs running live. Certainly opens up options.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #48
BassInYoFace

Default My Behringer X32 and Reaper

I just bought this board and folk's...IT'S ALL THAT AND A BAG'O effing CHIPS!!!!

I looked at the offering of England's SSL at almost 6000USD and wanted it bad.

Somehow I just could not see spending what seems to equivalent to a good

used car, just to sit there on my desk and control Reaper. Then I saw the

X32 and instantly it was a match...I ordered immediately from Musician's

Friend, for even less than the going street price and the guy even waived

the shipping to Hawaii!!!! and gave me the extended warranty in place $199 value

THIS IS THE GAME CHANGER OF THE DECADE!!!!!

See It Here, sitting on MY desk!!! WOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Own...c/359539547159

Last edited by BassInYoFace; 11-07-2012 at 03:07 PM.
BassInYoFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #49
BassInYoFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post

ASIO drivers?

How many actual ASIO streams are there?

Can it be tapped at any point so you get to record prefader and such?
32 in 32 out asio included, works great with reaper using Mackie Control

Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #50
Jeronimo

How well does it "interact" with Reaper? You have the 8 DCA faders to control Reaper's faders in banks of 8 and what else? Can you have 32 channels coming back into the console? I know they're static, but, if you bank between 1-16 and 17-32 you do "see" 32 channels back into it, right?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #51
danfuerth

No vca groups? astonishing this only proves my theory that the little console manufactor's are scare shitless of SSL and the big boys with VCA grouping.

Once again I thank Banned for helping me avoiding getting ripped off with the OSC Vca group workaround.

32 channels and no VCA groups WTF? there are 25 faders on there give me a break man lol

Astonishing I have more automation and have VCA groups with a small 8 fader interface than you guys with the X32!!! using the pure data OSC control

Just can not believe that no company can add VCA group faders to smaller consoles, all in the name of protecting the big console vendors.

I believe banned is also aware of this and hence why he helped me out getting my project to work with OSC via a pure data patch as he knows as I know it Cockos will never add Native VCA group automation

Now if Reaper had native VCA group automation + the X32 then okay it is a good deal to get it, however with no native VCA automation in Reaper you can not use the X32 faders as a VCA fader like you can do in Avid Protools!!!!!!!! As any fader interface yo use in Protools can have one of it's faders act as a VCA master fader since Protools 10 has native VCA group automation .

Cockos enough of Protools monopoly on VCA group automation, just enough already . ADD NATIVE VCA GROUPS AUTOMATION to Reaper so we can use any damn fader interface we want, so we do not need to spend thousands of dollars on a VCA console.

Mixing live / recording automation is the whole point of VCA groups. one fader controls 10 faders, records and playback the automation.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #52
wmckelvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
No vca groups? astonishing this only proves my theory that the little console manufactor's are scare shitless of SSL and the big boys with VCA grouping.

Once again I thank Banned for helping me avoiding getting ripped off with the OSC Vca group workaround.

32 channels and no VCA groups WTF? there are 25 faders on there give me a break man lol

Astonishing I have more automation and have VCA groups with a small 8 fader interface than you guys with the X32!!! using the pure data OSC control

Just can not believe that no company can add VCA group faders to smaller consoles, all in the name of protecting the big console vendors.
It is a digital console so no, it would not have VCA. It does however have 8 DCAs, which are the digital equivalent of a VCA. A nice board with good features.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #53
BassInYoFace

Default It works Great

I got it, and it's the SH^T...

we got all the bells and whistles of the big boys, got grouping in banks of 16 and and instead of VCA, It's got 8 DCA's. Protools smotools, don't let nobody fool you this high power stuff, Reaper is in the game and playing hard on my team!!!!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #54
danfuerth

Difference between VCAs and Groups is that VCAs affect post-fade Aux sends, since the VCA essentially acts as a remote control for the fader. This allows you to turn multiple channels up or down via the VCA - background vocals, for example - and have the reverb aux send track these movements for all associated channels. It's not possible to get this same effect with a Group, unless the group is being used to feed the reverb, or the reverb return is assigned to the same group as the BG vocals (both of which are also a possibility

You do not have "True VCA GROUPS" on the X32, only Venue consoles and bigger consoles add VCA grouping.

That is my whole point, if the Daw itself ( Reaper, Presonus) has VCA Automation groups then the console having them becomes irrelavent

The biggest benefit of having the VCA group automation inside the Daw is that you have the same identical control over your tracks and moreover you can use a smaller fader interface, that is why Magix Sequoia added VCA groups as too many users were leaving for Protools or Profools lol

Last edited by danfuerth; 11-12-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #55
adcingeo

Default VCA behaviour using Reaper track grouping

Quote:
<snip>
Cockos enough of Protools monopoly on VCA group automation, just enough already . ADD NATIVE VCA GROUPS AUTOMATION to Reaper so we can use any damn fader interface we want, so we do not need to spend thousands of dollars on a VCA console.
<snip>
Does one need "native VCA groups" in Reaper when we've got flexible track grouping?

For example, I can set up, say, 8 channels as "VCAs" that are master controllers for "volume", each on a different track group and then assign channels in the rest of my mix "to the VCAs" by setting them as slaves for "volume" for the relevant group.

If I move all the "VCA" master tracks to the left of the mixer panel so they appear as tracks 1-8 then I can use a standard 8 channel controller to ride the faders and record automation against them.

Doesn't that accomplish the same thing? It still affects the post-fade effects etc in the same way.

Am I missing something?
adcingeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #56
Jeronimo

Quote:
Difference between VCAs and Groups is that VCAs affect post-fade Aux sends, since the VCA essentially acts as a remote control for the fader. This allows you to turn multiple channels up or down via the VCA - background vocals, for example - and have the reverb aux send track these movements for all associated channels. It's not possible to get this same effect with a Group, unless the group is being used to feed the reverb, or the reverb return is assigned to the same group as the BG vocals (both of which are also a possibility

You do not have "True VCA GROUPS" on the X32, only Venue consoles and bigger consoles add VCA grouping.

That is my whole point, if the Daw itself ( Reaper, Presonus) has VCA Automation groups then the console having them becomes irrelavent

The biggest benefit of having the VCA group automation inside the Daw is that you have the same identical control over your tracks and moreover you can use a smaller fader interface, that is why Magix Sequoia added VCA groups as too many users were leaving for Protools or Profools lol
There is no such thing as REAL VCA on a digital console... or a DAW... LOL
But the VCA functionality is there, on the X32, named as DCA... and it should work fine as a "VCA"
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #57
l0calh05t

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcingeo View Post
Am I missing something?
Yup. Sends.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #58
danfuerth

I am using Banned's OSC workaround with Pure Data so that I can write Automation to the Master and then the slaves Follow the masters.

Problem is unless you run this workaround the slaves will not follow the masters period!!.

The issue here is if Reaper allows the slaves to follow the Master's automation then a lot of issues that people keep posting will be DEAD!! as this will fix a lot of problems when Mixing, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT RECORDING! MIXING LIVE is why we need the VCA Group automation ( useful for recording as well obviously)

I am using Reaper as a live mixer, and that is why I keep pushing to have native VCA GROUP automation.

I only need an 8 fader interface and can control my project ( predone at home) with no problems. This is my point, Reaper can Group and Automate the tracks, why do I need a 20 fader interface!!!! to control all the tracks when with VCA groups inside the Daw, all I do is map the masters to the external faders and be done with it.

Again without Banned's OSC patch, I would have to buy a bigger interface. VCA's free us from bigger interfaces

A simple 4 fader interface becomes 4 VCA master faders
An 8 fader interface ( like mine) becomes an 8 VCA master Fader interface

We need the slaves to follow the masters and their automation.
Thank You.

Last edited by danfuerth; 11-19-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #59
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm really interested in this console for live use, so that I can record without worrying about messing up the show. Its cheaper and easier than doing a splitter
Old 11-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #60
planetnine

I'm with Dan on this, in case anybody thinks it's a one-man show.

I asked for native VCA masters four years ago and thought we'd got them when group masters were implemented. Unfortunately they won't follow automation, so we're back to square one.

I am a bit flummoxed as to why they've not been implemented. There really is no going back once you've used them (especially for live!).

I have to place the FX returns inside folder groups to get around the deficiency. And folder groups won't allow non-hierachial grouping.

>
Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #61
danfuerth

I still think people do not fully understand how dangerous to hardware companies VCA group automation inside a daw is.

My example explains it fully

I was looking for a fader interface to control my tracks inside Reaper ( USING REAPER AS A LIVE MIXER) now that meant buying a big ass fader interface ( at least 20 faders) so that would cost $$$$

I then went over to a show and seen someone using Protools and a small fader interface. After the show I went up to the guy there and looked over is setup and his screen. He had at least 50 tracks all lined up in groups and DUH!! had setup those groups to VCA masters and just mapped the Masters to the interface

This way he only needed a 12 fader interface. This is why I started to post and trying to push to have this inside Reaper.

Anyways Banned ended up making a pure data patch of my project so I could control it via OSC, however it is not a perfect solution and requires duplicate tracks here and there

So again I ended up buying an 8 fader interface instead of BEING FORCED to buy the 20 BECAUSE OF VCA group functionality inside Reaper with OSC!!!

This is why we need VCA group automation and it free's you from being forced to buy bigger fader interfaces when using Reaper as a live Mixer.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #62
planetnine

But serious engineers will always want hardware, even if it's just a metal wrapper to some dedicated chipsets running the same...

Live sound reinforcement is just too highly strung a profession to accept stings of Laptops and loose gear -leave that to the DJs.

Even I use hardware HDD recorders, just for location multitracking Dan, we just fret about computers in our setups...

>
Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #63
danfuerth

LOL ya. All my laptops, desktops are not "normal" machines, they are modified for WORK not play. My MSI laptop is not how I bought it LOL.

That is why I trust my machines and setup each one for maximum work power.
If you seen my posts on Windows 7 and the Windows 8 super tweek batch tool that will tell you how I setup my machines, and I take it even further with more steps.

However for me since doing this DJ live thing on the weekends I use Reaper as a Multitrack Mixer OUTPUT.

And not having to dish out a lot of money on the 20 fader interface meant I bought another guitar and even started on a small form computer project ( ongoing) with the money saved.

That is all I wanted, work on my project at home, have it all setup like a mixer has recall sessions, then go live and hit play, the rest is Reaper playing the project and me playing on the guitar.

So this works great and work all do TO VCA GROUPs well at least functional for now, hope reaper adds the slaves following the masters with the automation.

The first time I visited a studio and seen the guy there move a VCA master fader, then hit play and watched all the other faders move together automatically I was hooked!!!

Hope one day a full Virtual Mixer can be designed inside a Daw, not a regular mixer, but a REAL LOOKING Mixer with dials and buttons and faders just like the real thing, multiple desktops would have to be used, However this would make a for a killer setup.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #64
Razor

Quote:
LOL ya. All my laptops, desktops are not "normal" machines, they are modified for WORK not play. My MSI laptop is not how I bought it LOL.

That is why I trust my machines and setup each one for maximum work power.
If you seen my posts on Windows 7 and the Windows 8 super tweek batch tool that will tell you how I setup my machines, and I take it even further with more steps.

However for me since doing this DJ live thing on the weekends I use Reaper as a Multitrack Mixer OUTPUT.

And not having to dish out a lot of money on the 20 fader interface meant I bought another guitar and even started on a small form computer project ( ongoing) with the money saved.

That is all I wanted, work on my project at home, have it all setup like a mixer has recall sessions, then go live and hit play, the rest is Reaper playing the project and me playing on the guitar.

So this works great and work all do TO VCA GROUPs well at least functional for now, hope reaper adds the slaves following the masters with the automation.

The first time I visited a studio and seen the guy there move a VCA master fader, then hit play and watched all the other faders move together automatically I was hooked!!!

Hope one day a full Virtual Mixer can be designed inside a Daw, not a regular mixer, but a REAL LOOKING Mixer with dials and buttons and faders just like the real thing, multiple desktops would have to be used, However this would make a for a killer setup.
Are those super tweaks the same kind of thing as on Black Viper's site? I used Black Viper's tweaks for most of the XP machines I've worked with. Win 7 doesn't appear to benefit as much from disabling services, though.

I've never really made use of VCAs when mixing live, since I generally want to control all of the channels individually, but for cutting down on fader count on a control surface it makes sense.

I've wanted to have a completely software-based mixer for while now. Something like Software Audio Console, but without the reliability issues, old looking UI, or terrible management...
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #65
BorsingPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
How well does it "interact" with Reaper? You have the 8 DCA faders to control Reaper's faders in banks of 8 and what else? Can you have 32 channels coming back into the console? I know they're static, but, if you bank between 1-16 and 17-32 you do "see" 32 channels back into it, right?
Yes 32 in, 32 out.. recording 32 simultaneous channels is confirmed (YouTube source)
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #66
The Byre

Quote:
$2500 is not a bad price at all for the capability, but I would not want to be an early adopter of a piece of Behringer kit at that price. I'm not religiously anti-Behringer, but in my experience the quality of their preamps, interconnects, and so on is spotty. Behringer gets widely derided as cheap junk, but in my experience their biggest problems are not with sound quality per se, but build quality, which trickles down into sound quality. Noisy pots, spotty connections, poor shielding, etc.

Especially for a device like this, with a lot of complexity and moving parts, I would very much want to hear how it held up after a year or two of live venue use. $2500 is frankly a great price just for 32 competent preamps and an automated control surface alone. But if those preamps are going to get scratchy/noisy/muffled, if the automated faders are going to get spotty/sticky, etc, then quantity starts to become meaningless, especially in studio applications. Better to spend $2500 on a good 2-channel preamp that can be easily re-sold for $2200 than spend $2500 on a million channels of dirty, noisy, unreliable sound with a bunch of digital functionality that will be obsolete in 2013.
You forgot the power supplies that are two sizes too small and go up in flames!

But +1 on the rest!
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #67
ivansc

They certainly do seem to under-spec their psu-s across the whole Behringer range, but according to Uli this is all changed on the newer releases. We shall see....

After insisting that my smoked out ADA8000 couldn't possibly have blown a transformed due to smoothing caps shorting out, they checked my unit out and confirmed that WAS what had happened.

I cant wait to see what the new ADA8200 is like in the flesh.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #68
BorsingPhoto

Quote:
Looks very similar in concept to the Presonus StudioLive consoles, a hybrid software/hardware console with comprehensive processing on a one-channel-at-a-time basis.

$2500 is not a bad price at all for the capability, but I would not want to be an early adopter of a piece of Behringer kit at that price. I'm not religiously anti-Behringer, but in my experience the quality of their preamps, interconnects, and so on is spotty. Behringer gets widely derided as cheap junk, but in my experience their biggest problems are not with sound quality per se, but build quality, which trickles down into sound quality. Noisy pots, spotty connections, poor shielding, etc.

Especially for a device like this, with a lot of complexity and moving parts, I would very much want to hear how it held up after a year or two of live venue use. $2500 is frankly a great price just for 32 competent preamps and an automated control surface alone. But if those preamps are going to get scratchy/noisy/muffled, if the automated faders are going to get spotty/sticky, etc, then quantity starts to become meaningless, especially in studio applications. Better to spend $2500 on a good 2-channel preamp that can be easily re-sold for $2200 than spend $2500 on a million channels of dirty, noisy, unreliable sound with a bunch of digital functionality that will be obsolete in 2013.
------------------------------------------------------------

Behringer Purchased MIDAS. Klark Technik etc. Midas is known for their touring $300000 touring mixers used by the Rolling stones, AC DC and many more frequently on BIG tours. the preamps on the X-32 is MIDAS technology, 25 IKEA style motor tested, motorized faders etc, etc. Behringer spent well over $20 million developing the X-32 thus it's nothing short of a revolution, leaving current existing Digital mixer's light-years behind... Still many keep up that snobby "BlowTools is THE Industry standard, J-Ware attitude" since it to the incredibly ignorant, allows them to sound as if they actually know what they are talking about. Further more the X-32's 64 in/out's and DAW controller works perfectly with Reaper (source "X32 Live_ Webinar_ X32 _ Reaper" YouTube) Thus it surely is high on my list AND comes with a 3 year warranty...

Last edited by BorsingPhoto; 03-28-2013 at 05:37 AM.
BorsingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #69
Faderjockey

I agree we need VCA in Reaper.. But to make it easier for people who don't know what it is.. It would be easier if everyone stopped with calling it VCA.

We are not analog anymore.. There is no Voltage Control in the digital world either on console or DAW. Avid should have just used DCA term instead of VCA because it confused people who were not familiar with it.

But guys who came from consoles with VCA I think understood it's not voltage in a digital realm.. It was just a term so they knew they were getting that feature from the analog world..

and now VCA or DCA is not the same as running tracks into a group or Buss.. I keep seeing people mention that over and over.
It's going to be unlikely that any company now a days would ever build a console with VCA's again.. with digital control of even analog parts now your not going to see it done. VCA was the thing to link faders back then.. because there was no digital control at that time.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #70
Faderjockey

Did 2 live gigs this weekend..and guess what used VCA's

Friday night was on a digi SC48. used VCA for drum/sampler layer
and VCA for key's layer and Vocals layer.. made it so much easier having them focused to the center and bass and gtr ch's assigned to ch's next to the VCA (or technically DCA)..

Sat was on a Midas Legend 3000 and used actual real VCA (same setup) but that's an analog board so it was actual Voltage control. On a 48 ch board live having the VCA in the center is nice so you don't have to run back and forth.

Last edited by Faderjockey; 05-05-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #71
serr

I've used a number of the Yamaha consoles and the PT Venue and they are all very cumbersome to me to run. I guess if you own one and get thru the learning curve...
Looks like the X32 blows these out of the water. They clearly consulted live sound engineers in the design where the others clearly did not.

This would be exciting if it wasn't already quite obsolete.
With mic pres, converters, interfaces, computer and Reaper I have far more features and flexibility. And everything is modular so the system can be reconfigured or have any one part upgraded at any time.

They missed it by at least 3 years.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #72
Faderjockey

I have a friend who bought 2 X32 with digi snake to replace Presonus Live24 and 16.. that kept failing and having faders go bad.

He likes the X32 much more. But said it's missing out on a lot of things that are important and there is certain things (like with anything) he wished they would have thought of..

He's thoughts why you're not going to see it replacing things Like Digi Sc48 or DigiCo on bigger gigs..

But I can't relate because I've never messed with the X32 yet.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #73
Andy Hamm

The graphic EQ's in the FX Rack - .5dB steps, that's 2 steps per dB.

The parametrics on everything else - .25dB steps - A whopping 4 steps per dB.

Where exactly is the wow in that????

I've used the x32 for at least a few dozen shows now, it does the job, but it's certainly nothing to get all excited about.

My Reaper racks mix circles around it.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #74
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
The graphic EQ's in the FX Rack - .5dB steps, that's 2 steps per dB.

The parametrics on everything else - .25dB steps - A whopping 4 steps per dB.

Where exactly is the wow in that????

I've used the x32 for at least a few dozen shows now, it does the job, but it's certainly nothing to get all excited about.

My Reaper racks mix circles around it.
Yessir!
Like I said, 3 years too late.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #75
audioguy_on_ca

Default I am impressed

I used an x32 for the first time on Monday.
From opening the box to having it ready for soundcheck took 6 hours. I was quite impressed with the intuitiveness.
What REALLY impressed me though, once my mix was nicely dialled in, was how it actually SOUNDS like a Midas.
It should come with the optional lamp.
The FW interface will make the unit popular for recording. the wireless control (especially the iphone app, giving monitor mix control to the people who need it and freeing up the FoH person to focus on that) seems well thought out, something I'm anxious to try in a non-critical situation to see what the latency is like.
"We're like geeky and shit: I'm hanging out on a message board about a recording program. It's kinda expected to be all up in arms about something as ridiculously abstract as 24->16 bit dithering..." -RPR usr nickm
audioguy_on_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #76
Andy Hamm

I use the usb gooseneck light that I use for my laptop on them.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #77
Snap

Quote:
Amen.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #78
Andy Hamm

Funny thing reading through these posts with people all over wanting VCA's for using Reaper Live - not that there is anything wrong with that - but I have a friend that has 2 x32's and He WANTS SUBGROUPS!

There is a sort of hokie workaround that you can do this on the x32, but you loose sends to get it working and when you have 4 fx and 6 monitor mixes. They should really make an option on the x32 to use the VCA's as Subgroups as well.

As far as mixing live with Reaper goes, I would be happy if you could group all of the folder masters on the RIGHT side of the mixer as opposed to the left side
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #79
BassInYoFace

Default I own the X32 and it controls Reaper!!!

I bought the X32 about a year ago, it has been a pure pleasure to work with. It is a game changer, it took me from being semi to pro mixing capabilies with full automation.

See vid http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_videos/682408
Old 12-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #80
BassInYoFace

Default I own the X32 and it controls Reaper!!!

I bought the X32 about a year ago, it has been a pure pleasure to work with. It is a game changer, it took me from being semi to pro mixing capabilies with full automation.

See vid http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_videos/682408