Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-27-2020, 12:20 AM   #1
cinquefoil77
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper sometimes crashes when saving project? (windows 7)

Just wondering if anyone has any technical knowledge about this problem. Sometimes Reaper will crash in Windows 7 when I go to Save, this was especially upsetting today as I had just spent about an hour on a new track and was really enjoying the direction I was going. (I have since found out about auto backup and intend to set that up).

I have noticed that this problem is more likely to occur when I am using a MIDI device with Reaper. In fact I'm not sure that it's ever happened when I am not using a MIDI device. The only device I have been using at present is a Roland A-49 midi keyboard, though I've had this trouble in the past with other hardware.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'd really like to eliminate this problem. Losing a project when attempting to save it is truly an ironic catastrophe.

Edit: I neglected to mention that it's not just Reaper that crashes; I automatically get a blue screen of death in Windows as soon as I choose my destination folder and click Save. So really, the whole computer crashes. Honestly this is the only time I ever get a blue screen of death - it really takes me back to the days of Windows Me!

Edit 2: Here is the info Windows gave me when I powered back on:

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 19
BCP1: 0000000000000022
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\022720-22947-01.dmp
C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-88780-0.sysdata.xml

Last edited by cinquefoil77; 02-27-2020 at 12:30 AM.
cinquefoil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
Fabian

BCCode: 19 is typically bad driver. See here https://social.technet.microsoft.com...7itprohardware

I think that posting the dmp-file somewhere and linking to it here might get you some help.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:41 AM   #3
cinquefoil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
BCCode: 19 is typically bad driver. See here https://social.technet.microsoft.com...7itprohardware

I think that posting the dmp-file somewhere and linking to it here might get you some help.
THanks for your help Fabian. I installed WhoCrashed and it provided the following information:

Quote:
On Thu 27/02/2020 5:57:29 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022720-22947-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x93EA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x22, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
As far as I can see, it does not specifically identify the driver that caused the crash. But let's assume it was my USB keyboard: any idea how I would go about repairing the driver? Is there any way I can be more certain about the cause of the problem? Windows does not always crash when I have my keyboard plugged in and try to Save in Reaper, only sometimes, so it's hard to pin down exactly what's going on.
cinquefoil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Fabian

Maybe there is more detailed info in the Event Viewer. See here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36653 for info on how to access that.

Uninstalling and re-installing the driver is always worth a try. As is checking that you have the latest version of the driver.