Old 10-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Spirit
Human being with feelings

Default A dedicated "no leak" preset?

I use the "overlay: image overlay" preset to try to stop track leakage but it doesn't always work.

Is there *any* way to 100% stop track leakage? With the rest of the video editor so good, this seems a ridiculously basic problem to keep facing.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #2
papagirafe

I am not quite sure what type of leakage you are referring to, but in general there is almost always a logical solution to each transparency problem. For example black fade in/out if often better achieved by a black image fading in reverse order on top all layered tracks. Also some video preset in the "fx" section tend to have effects beyond the current track even with video overlay.

With a more specific description, we could find a strategy to avoid that problem. BTW are you using track level or item level video fx?

So to summarize there is no silver bullet for this one :-)
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagirafe View Post
I am not quite sure what type of leakage you are referring to, but in general there is almost always a logical solution to each transparency problem.
For example, just using basic brightness and contrast controls there is no way I can stop the tweaks spilling into an overlay video. Instead I then have to use another contrast instances to pull back the effect on the overlay. It just seems crazy to me.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

It feels like you'd ought to be able to do it by putting the Brightness/Contrast preset before the Overlay preset on the same track, but if that doesn't actually work, maybe my "Slight better blend modes" preset could help. In this case, you'd put the B/C on the track you want it to apply to, then put my preset on a new track, and then use the knobs to pick the track you want for overlay and background. Sometimes, depending on what you're doing, you might need to put a "black track" or something between two tracks in order to avoid unwanted "bleed" from the lower to the upper. It does a bit more than that, too, but maybe it will help you?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=245316
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:27 AM   #5
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
It feels like you'd ought to be able to do it by putting the Brightness/Contrast preset before the Overlay preset on the same track, but if that doesn't actually work, maybe my "Slight better blend modes" preset could help.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=245316
Thanks! I will absolutely give this a try
Old 10-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
For example, just using basic brightness and contrast controls there is no way I can stop the tweaks spilling into an overlay video. Instead I then have to use another contrast instances to pull back the effect on the overlay. It just seems crazy to me.
You are right about the b/c. I realize that almost never use that preset having replaced it with a more powerful and non leaky one that I found in the first topic of this sub-forum (Shadow/midtone/highlight hue/saturation/luminance adjust).
Old 11-07-2021, 05:53 AM   #7
papagirafe

There is a possible explanation for the leaking as discussed at the end of this thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=259337

I guess we could write a preset that compensate with the right mathematical curve...
Old 11-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

So like, if I have two audio tracks, and I want to mix them together, but I want to apply different FX to each of the tracks, I know that I can’t make one track the parent of the other. If I did that, and let them mix via the parent send, I expect any FX I put on the parent to affect the mix, with no good way of pinpointing them to just what is actually contributed from this one track. Instead, I’d send them both to some other track to get mixed, and then put FX on the individual tracks as necessary. Yes there are multichannel tricks we could play, and yes there’s probably ways to achieve something like that in video also, but the simplest way in both cases is to just keep them on separate tracks until we’re actually ready to mix them together and then do that on a dedicated track.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote