Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-21-2021, 04:39 AM   #81
Vagelis
Human being with feelings

For the users who want to use tools for some specific tasks,(like comping), the mighty Embass created a script for me in the past where you can save current mouse modifiers as an action. So you can create multiple tools by changing your mouse modifiers and then you can choose which contexts to save from the script. it works really nice, just when you have to change a lot of contexts it's a bit slow.
I 've created an FR in the past where i was hoping to be able and save mouse modifier presets and load them in an action,(or export as action) that could hopefully change very fast.
Here's the script:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=127

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Although, as a side note.. who records into multiple lanes rather than item takes?
For sure i will when they are ready Being able to move or edit individually items per lane is what will make Reaper's comp feature superior to other DAWs imho.

Last edited by Vagelis; 10-21-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:03 AM   #82
musicbynumbers

Yeah..

If the devs can do more of a "solo lanes" set up rather than item then we can edit away still within that.

Just need it to be easy to copy paste etc too maybe.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:14 AM   #83
Coachz

When I change my mouse modifier for media item left drag to start doing solo markers I don't get any solo markers and the take selection gets dodgy too. Also, there needs to be a way in context to left drag media items by default but when over the takes to be able to switch modes to solo marker swiping if desired so you don't have to hold down an option key the whole time you are comping.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #84
cool

Quote:
Although, as a side note.. who records into multiple lanes rather than item takes?

I have never used take as they are inconvenient for me. Seriously, I used to prefer recording on multiple tracks just to avoid takes.

New Lanes are more understandable and convenient. Solo(Comp)-markers now look like a logical development of the new Lanes system.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #85
Coachz

Solo markers should not mute everything following them on takes below them.

Coachz Repo
Old 10-21-2021, 06:36 AM   #86
Jae.Thomas

just to make sure there's as much feedback as possible, I am also getting a delay when new soloed parts should be playing back. I find that it seems sometimes the markers are "slow" to react.

also, when you drag the item left, the markers come with it
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:40 AM   #87
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.Thomas View Post
just to make sure there's as much feedback as possible, I am also getting a delay when new soloed parts should be playing back. I find that it seems sometimes the markers are "slow" to react.

also, when you drag the item left, the markers come with it
This is our chance so let's give all the constructive feedback we can so we end up with a great tool !

Coachz Repo
Old 10-21-2021, 06:42 AM   #88
Vagelis

Coachz i think that solo markers are not fully supported in take item but only for the newest fixed lanes.
For the first it would require another mode probably, because when you click on a take it solo this take only. Probably that's why solo markers can't comp vertically across all takes.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #89
airon

Some choices to be made.

Basic comping could be exclusive, meaning it's the way it looks now. No overlaps. Automatic preference-bound fades.

Advanced comping could be non-exclusive, i.e. overlapping areas. Perhaps made with modifier+solo-marker, like a non-snapping deal. You'd also modify the fades at the end to your liking. Perhaps an upper-edge-of-solo-marker mouse mod context. And to really go nuts, a lower edge context for crossfade length and shapes .

Plenty of value in keeping the initial method as simple and easy to get in to as possible, and leave the heavy custom stuff to the users who really need to go deep.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #90
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Coachz i think that solo markers are not fully supported in take item but only for the newest fixed lanes.
For the first it would require another mode probably, because when you click on a take it solo this take only. Probably that's why solo markers can't comp vertically across all takes.
Oh, I thought the whole point was for take comping. hmmm. What do you mean by newest fixed lanes ? Take comping is all I care about for this so hopefully it will be for takes too.

I tried left drag on a track but it doesn't do anything here and it stops media item selection from working also.

Coachz Repo
Old 10-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #91
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
This is a big thing for experienced users and for new ones. Makes editing so much easy and fun.

- full mode (as reaper is ATM)

and then:
Split mode/ erase mode/ RE mode / comping mode / stretch mode / drawing mode with basic modifiers to do almost everything. The only disadvantage is the complexity that devs might have to deal with in order to implement it.
This isn't really the Reaper way. A way to easily switch between configurations without having to import a configuration file trough preferences would be much better. This way each user can divide things how they want and just use actions to switch between configurations
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #92
Jae.Thomas

I would really love a way to convert takes to media item lanes. sounds complex tho.

wow wouldn't it be fun to go from one mode to another and have it translate haha
Old 10-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #93
Vagelis

So i have some thoughts regarding when there are cases where we want to add a new item to comp along with the others, let's say we have a couple of drums and we want to add a new element.
How this new item would fit with the others without need to change the markers from previous items again?
I think in this case it should automatically mute the parts from the new item to where the markers from the other items on lanes are. If there's no space it should be fully muted and continue to comp.

Also when we are recording in lanes, who would want to listen to all items in all lanes? I think none. Wouldn't it be better to use lanes for fast comping? Like after we record to be audible one item only, top or bottom, or to left click and auto solo the item on each lane. Or An alternative way for this could be if we had solo/mute for each lane by clicking on lane numbers. Thoughts?

Last edited by Vagelis; 10-21-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #94
mschnell

Quote:
what about the take system we already have?
It might be possible to enhance the take system by ("easily") allowing for comping comping by the track mute envelope, and when recording automatically adding (virtual) silence back and front to the takes that are shorter than others. (AFAU there is a script that does some of this)
I can't say anything pro or con the media item system, but of course it might be nice not to need to learn yet another "system".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #95
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Oh, I thought the whole point was for take comping. hmmm. What do you mean by newest fixed lanes ? Take comping is all I care about for this so hopefully it will be for takes too.

I tried left drag on a track but it doesn't do anything here and it stops media item selection from working also.
You have to right click on TCP and choose fixed lanes, then when you record in fixed lanes the items create new lanes and there you can start using the comp markers.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #96
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post
Running out of mouse modifiers
I seem to have noticed that Reaper uses the DEL key as a mouse modifier in certain situations.

Maybe any key might be a Mouse Modifier in some way...
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #97
Vagelis

And something else to consider, would it be better if when we have completed our comp and change from fixed lanes to no lanes, to be able and move or just have individually each part where the markers are and not the whole items? Then if we switch to fixed lanes again to see the whole items as a comp. This way we could always keep our takes for any changes if needed.
One thing i like in Logic is that the lanes are in a folder, so you can always go and tweak them. Then you can minimize the folder lanes and see only the completed comp where you can move etc. Something similar would be nice to have in Reaper too.

Last edited by Vagelis; 10-21-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #98
Jae.Thomas

if this can be pulled off, it could be a game changer. I would buy a new fuckin license just for it haha

I'm not one to complain and i love reaper as is, but I do think there are some real possibilities here.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:48 AM   #99
ovnis

Bug: CTRL and "Solo item within track" (without snap).
When we drag from left to right, the first edge is not a the good place.

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:50 AM   #100
Coachz

I tried the fixed lanes but no luck. It seems to select everything except the track I"m swiping.

Coachz Repo
Old 10-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #101
Vagelis

Quote:
I tried the fixed lanes but no luck. It seems to select everything except the track I"m swiping.
Yes it's kind of bug or i'm missing something. I think found that it works better when after recording or adding new lanes to right click on an item, choose solo markers and then solo item within track. Then seems to comp normally whenever you click n drag.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #102
ovnis

Bug with the display. CTRL and "Solo item within track" (without snap):

Old 10-21-2021, 08:08 AM   #103
ovnis

Bug: "Solo item within track ignoring snap".

I can't create a solo part on the top item.

Last edited by ovnis; 10-21-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #104
Coachz

Quote:
Yes it's kind of bug or i'm missing something. I think found that it works better when after recording or adding new lanes to right click on an item, choose solo markers and then solo item within track. Then seems to comp normally whenever you click n drag.
I tried that but it's just wack here.

Coachz Repo
Old 10-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #105
Vagelis

Stumbled across this behavior too a couple of times, ovnis too as I see in his gif.
I think we have to wait until it's fixed better
Old 10-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #106
Coachz

Quote:
Stumbled across this behavior too a couple of times, ovnis too as I see in his gif.
I think we have to wait until it's fixed better
No worries. I've been pushing for swipe comping for a very long time so I'm happy to test anything they come up with to make take editing juicy !

Coachz Repo
Old 10-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #107
ovnis

It's not more simple and clear?

Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #108
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
It's not more simple and clear?

If that is supposed to be simple and clear, I'm afraid I need an explanation... Well, one way or another...
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #109
ovnis

dark = muted
light = solo

Last edited by ovnis; 10-21-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #110
Triode

Quote:
dark = muted
clear = solo

I prefer the faint peaks personally. I think your mockup would look confusing when combined with time selection and muted tracks.

Also: I do agree with Klang about the necessity to include the feature of the comp itself being a copy because it enables you to go back to listen to raw takes and compare with your comp.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #111
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Also: I do agree with Klang about the necessity to include the feature of the comp itself being a copy because it enables you to go back to listen to raw takes and compare with your comp.
As solo markers are stored with comps, just save the takes uncomped as (another) comp which you could then use to A/B?

(The Take Comps section of Project bay might not be that well known till now and honestly so far I didn't have much use for it either, but I guess this could change with this new comping system):

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #112
ovnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I prefer the faint peaks personally. I think your mockup would look confusing when combined with time selection and muted tracks.
I dont't think so.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #113
ovnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
If that is supposed to be simple and clear, I'm afraid I need an explanation... Well, one way or another...
In most sequencers of the world when an area is more dark than others is in general because it is muted.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #114
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
(The Take Comps section of Project bay might not be that well known till now and honestly so far I didn't have much use for it either, but I guess this could change with this new comping system)
yes but it's much more than this. In my opinion Solo markers go into the wrong direction. In my opinion the comp should simply be a copy of the item that goes to the first lane. This way there won't be problems with current workflows and system. It theoretically could also be combined with the current take system. Having a copy, you can use item fx, stretch and pitch items, cut them and so on. Comp markers (as integrated in many DAWs) limit the possibilities quite a lot. But my fight for Pro Tools sytle playlists (which is in a nutshell what I described) unfortunatly seems to be lost.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #115
ovnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
yes but it's much more than this. In my opinion Solo markers go into the wrong direction. In my opinion the comp should simply be a copy of the item that goes to the first lane. This way there won't be problems with current workflows and system. It theoretically could also be combined with the current take system. Having a copy, you can use item fx, stretch and pitch items, cut them and so on. Comp markers (as integrated in many DAWs) limit the possibilities quite a lot. But my fight for Pro Tools sytle playlists (which is in a nutshell what I described) unfortunatly seems to be lost.
We can have both system, isn't it?
The actual system + action to make a new item with selected items.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #116
AZpercussion

Default About modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe any key might be a Mouse Modifier in some way...
Yeah! I'm among those, who like mouse modifiers and different context dependent actions, who like mouse oriented workflow, so any key as modifier is great idea!
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:28 AM   #117
Phazma

Quote:
In most sequencers of the world when an area is more dark than others is in general because it is muted.
Not true. Here you have Nuendo and Studio One where muted items get brighter:

And here you have Logic and Fl Studio where muted items don't get darker/brighter but more faint/colorless:

And in no DAW which I have tried do the tracks get any darker when activating mute (except in Fl Studio the TCP gets slightly darker).

Making muted elements dark is definitely not something that is general practice as it is something that is not intuitive to everybody. To some people (including me) it just adds different colors/contrasts which make the whole arrangement look more busy and confusing.

Making muted (or generally inactive) elements more faint/translucent on the other hand is a way more widespread convention, probably because it is intuitive to everybody that what is more "ghost" looking is not present and IMO it is far easier on the eyes to focus on what is present.
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #118
Gass n Klang

Quote:
We can have both system, isn't it?
The actual system + action to make a new item with selected items.
It's not only about making a new item. It's also how comps are stored. I think a list of comps that you can load is not that clear as a separate lane for each take and comp. You always see what you got. With playlists you could copy edited comps alias playlists as a new playlist that you edit further e.g. for client revisions.
How will that work using the comping system, when you need to edit, stretch, pitch etc parts of items? This is super easy if your playlist just contains the media items you copied there from your "source" playlists like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post
Save a state by duplicating it, edit the items in all the ways, reaper already offers and just move on. What about ARA for example. Having playlists in a kind of "subtrack", melodyne could be applied to single playlists to compare edited vs rough for example. Every playlist just could be a normal new track with just a different naming and slightly different behaviour as it is linked to the main track. So many possibilities...

We already have colors for playlist coding. I think about sitting there with a client and talking about the takes we made. "Could I listen to the blue one until bar 3 and then take the red one". Super easy. We nearly already have everything we need for that. Why take an extra mile to get a less flexible system? I don't get it.

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 10-21-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #119
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
It's not only about making a new item. It's also how comps are stored. I think a list of comps that you can load is not that clear as a separate lane for each take and comp. You always see what you got. With playlists you could copy edited comps alias playlists as a new playlist that you edit further e.g. for client revisions.
How will that work using the comping system, when you need to edit, stretch, pitch etc parts of items? This is super easy if your playlist just contains the media items you copied there from your "source" playlists like this:

Save a state by duplicating it, edit the items in all the ways, reaper already offers and just move on. What about ARA for example. Having playlists in a kind of "subtrack", melodyne could be applied to single playlists to compare edited vs rough for example. Every playlist just could be a normal new track with just a different naming and slightly different behaviour as it is linked to the main track. So many possibilities...

We already have colors for playlist coding. I think about sitting there with a client and talking about the takes we made. "Could I listen to the blue one until bar 3 and then take the red one". Super easy. We nearly already have everything we need for that. Why take an extra mile to get a less flexible system? I don't get it.
Using this system is there a way to Loop and add a new track with each new Loop or do you have to do the tanks and then explode them into tracks?

Coachz Repo
Old 10-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #120
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Using this system is there a way to Loop and add a new track with each new Loop or do you have to do the tanks and then explode them into tracks?
I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be possible to automatically create a new playlist per loop.

Lanes in the current system will get smaller depending on how many loops you do. So you need to vertically zoom to see the content. By just adding a new "playlisttrack" per take/loop you won't have that problem either.