Old 09-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
fHumble fHingaz
Human being with feelings

Default "Progress" Indie OzRock

Here's a track I finished a while ago - My plan is for it to be the opening track from my next album. I remember getting it to a point where I was pretty happy with the mix, but I may yet tweak the mix some more before release.

Interested to get you input/thoughts etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Ye...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #2
g4greg

I'm listening to this through my unbelievably cheap phone earbuds, so I can't really comment on the mix, aside that it sounds mighty fine on cheap stuff... Which is actually quite an accomplishment when you think about it.

It's a nice rock number for sure. i'm thinking a John Cougar Mellencamp kind of act featuring Santana on the lead guitar

i really liked it! The lyrics were nice and flowy, and the structure worked really well. The guitars sounded awesome too! Awesome work.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:20 AM   #3
grinder

Following the tradition of some wonderful Auzzie musos there great stuff
Grinder
Great vocals too
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
I'm listening to this through my unbelievably cheap phone earbuds, so I can't really comment on the mix, aside that it sounds mighty fine on cheap stuff... Which is actually quite an accomplishment when you think about it.

It's a nice rock number for sure. i'm thinking a John Cougar Mellencamp kind of act featuring Santana on the lead guitar

i really liked it! The lyrics were nice and flowy, and the structure worked really well. The guitars sounded awesome too! Awesome work.
Thanks Greg! Glad it translates.

The Guitar solo is split duties between a collaborator and myself - a fella named Robert Cameron, who is actually a long time mix client of mine. https://soundcloud.com/robert-cameron-890782382 Bob is the guitar in the middle and on the right, and I throw in a few fills on the left (during the solo, that is). The rest of the guitar work is mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Following the tradition of some wonderful Auzzie musos there great stuff
Grinder
Great vocals too
Some great Kiwis too! Thank you kindly, bro!
Old 09-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
swingset

Nice, I like it. Great build/setup, like the lyrics on this one too.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Nice, I like it. Great build/setup, like the lyrics on this one too.
Thanks Craig!
Old 09-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #7
Time Waster

Great work. I can definitely hear a lot of Oz rock influence here, Aussie Crawl, Midnight Oil, Angels and Barnesy all mixed into one
Old 09-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #8
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
Great work. I can definitely hear a lot of Oz rock influence here, Aussie Crawl, Midnight Oil, Angels and Barnesy all mixed into one
Thanks mate! It seems you absorb those influences almost without trying. Cold Chisel, The Oils, and The Living End are all favorites of mine.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #9
Tig's

I'm Gonna take a risk....
As a listener of music for the last 55 plus years, and learning musician, absolutely nowhere near your league I might add.
I love the whole track although, I can hear in some of your singing, the end of some of the melodies could have more variation and the end of words be tighter.
Vocals at 3:47 dayhays... for example. could just make that a more resonant Days....

Sorry if I'm being a bit full on but I am autistic and cant help telling my truth.
I don't mean to offend, but shit, if you don't know...
I'm in awe of your singing, I'm to scared to commit to singing in public, I would be opening up my inner emotion to judgement and I'm not sure I have that in me.

Bugger it I'm poking Submit...

Keep Rockin

Tim
Tig's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig's View Post
I'm Gonna take a risk....
As a listener of music for the last 55 plus years, and learning musician, absolutely nowhere near your league I might add.
I love the whole track although, I can hear in some of your singing, the end of some of the melodies could have more variation and the end of words be tighter.
Vocals at 3:47 dayhays... for example. could just make that a more resonant Days....

Sorry if I'm being a bit full on but I am autistic and cant help telling my truth.
I don't mean to offend, but shit, if you don't know...
I'm in awe of your singing, I'm to scared to commit to singing in public, I would be opening up my inner emotion to judgement and I'm not sure I have that in me.

Bugger it I'm poking Submit...

Keep Rockin

Tim
Hey Tim, thanks for taking a listen and replying! No problem - TBH I consider myself a songwriter & guitarist kinda equal first and second, and singer a very distant third.

That said, I do experiment a lot with different vocal approaches, melodies, keys etc. Generally I tend to gravitate toward doing what feels natural and intuitive, and matches the melody in my head.

I'm certain someone with greater vocal ability, tone and flexibility could do a better job, but I try to go for what feel authentic to me, even if it is a little rough around the edges.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and share your thoughts!
Old 09-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #11
41TWIN

That was very very good.

I wish I could be a bit more help on if you need to tweak anything with the mix. You are light years ahead of me on that.

Something I started figuring out for my own songs is that I have a tenancy to keep the guitars higher than I really should be. I think.... And I'm starting to try and program that in my head. I've got three songs in process now and two of them are done tracking and I had one basically done. And then I went back in and turned the guitars down some and I liked it better.

I think there is a super fine line between too much and too little. Possibly maybe, I'm not sure, yours might be that. But I mean.... that would be very subjective and I think it might be more about what you want. But yeah, maybe a hair less guitar to either hear the lows of the bass more or boost some lows to get it a tad creamier.... That is my totally uneducated input.

It's a very well written, thought out, played and recorded song. Sounds professional to me. Your singing is very good. It reminds me a bit of something but I don't know what exaclty. I think it may be a combo of other people. It's your own thing but a bit like... a cross between Hetfield and Cobain a bit in there. LOL.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #12
fHumble fHingaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
That was very very good.

I wish I could be a bit more help on if you need to tweak anything with the mix. You are light years ahead of me on that.

Something I started figuring out for my own songs is that I have a tenancy to keep the guitars higher than I really should be. I think.... And I'm starting to try and program that in my head. I've got three songs in process now and two of them are done tracking and I had one basically done. And then I went back in and turned the guitars down some and I liked it better.

I think there is a super fine line between too much and too little. Possibly maybe, I'm not sure, yours might be that. But I mean.... that would be very subjective and I think it might be more about what you want. But yeah, maybe a hair less guitar to either hear the lows of the bass more or boost some lows to get it a tad creamier.... That is my totally uneducated input.

It's a very well written, thought out, played and recorded song. Sounds professional to me. Your singing is very good. It reminds me a bit of something but I don't know what exaclty. I think it may be a combo of other people. It's your own thing but a bit like... a cross between Hetfield and Cobain a bit in there. LOL.
Hey 41TWIN, thanks for listening and commenting! It's always great to get input from a variety of people - I generally always find something valuable I can learn from comments, so I try to compile it all together and plot out a strategy for improvement. Much appreciated!