Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
ThePulse
Human being with feelings

Default HELP: Particular Project Grinding to a HAULT

Ok I'm at a loss. One my of my project files seems to be severely fucked. It starts off playing A-Ok, and then slows with tons of pops and stutters. This cannot be happening because...
  1. My computer is hella fast.
  2. My buffer size is 128.
  3. I have hardly any plug-ins in this particular project.
  4. There is NO MIDI anywhere in here.
  5. Just sound files, light automation, and a couple buss plugins.

To compare, there's a project I'm working on that has MIDI galore and makes use of TONS of plug-ins to achieve a vintage sound...and that's running just fine. And at that same buffer size too.

Someone please help. I wish there was a log or something to tell me what's going on or give me some insight...
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Get It.RPP (125.3 KB, 233 views)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
moliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePulse View Post
This cannot be happening because...
Well, it is...

Try some elimination tactics. Start by loading the project in recovery mode (check box in the open project dialog).

Play it. start adding in plugins one at a time and playing the project, it is most probably a particular plugin/plugin configuration that's causing an issue.
It could also be an audio driver issue.

If it's just reaper/audio driver, then it will fail without the plugs.

Keep your system monitor open while you are doing this, and you'll be able to see if one or more of your cpu cores are maxing out.

worth checking that you're not resampling all your audio on the fly too, that will kill cpus no matter how many cores you have.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Sonic Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
it is most probably a particular plugin/plugin configuration that's causing an issue.
quite likely a synthedit plugin, usually is when that sort of thing happens with my system
Sonic Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Vampire View Post
quite likely a synthedit plugin, usually is when that sort of thing happens with my system
I opened that rpp file you uploaded, and don't see any synthedit plugins listed. I do see Waves, Soundtoys, Aether, and Izotope. And none of them are exactly light-weight plugins either. You say your rig is "hella fast", what are your specs? I have heard of issues with Waves plugins acting up if your graphics card is either out of date or weak. I know that you say that you run bigger projects with more plugins without issues, but there is something about the combination of plugins you have OR issues with different sample rates being decoded on the fly.
My last question is not aimed at you for any malicious reasons, but worth asking to rule it out, and is not a judgement in any way... Are all of these plugins legitimate, or are some or all cracked? If they are cracked, all possible solutions are more guess-work because cracked software will often develop quirky behavior, even if it had worked well before.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
richie43

Oops. Your specs are in your signature. Yes, that's a workhorse DAW for sure. Check your individual item/track sample-rates to see if they are being re-sampled. Do you have Reaper utilizing all of your cores?