Old 09-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
transtrans
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI pattern generator

I am looking for a MIDI pattern generator that could ideally emulate this piece of hardware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgxvw08R6g

I am especially interested in the motion length / pattern type / motion type functions explained here http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=K4815

Right now, I am using Jamstix and the Pattern Scale/Variation Generator JS to generate patterns. The result is interesting but very different from the K4815 module.

Are there any combination of VST/JS that you can think of that would emulate that piece of hardware?

Edit: Posted in the wrong forum...

Last edited by transtrans; 09-29-2016 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Wrong forum
transtrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
transtrans

Default MIDI pattern generator

I am looking for a MIDI pattern generator that could ideally emulate this piece of hardware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgxvw08R6g

I am especially interested in the motion length / pattern type / motion type functions explained here http://www.kilpatrickaudio.com/?p=K4815

Right now, I am using Jamstix and the Pattern Scale/Variation Generator JS to generate patterns. The result is interesting but very different from the K4815 module.

Are there any combination of VST/JS that you can think of that would emulate that piece of hardware?
Old 09-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
noise_construct

Looks like a pretty unique approach and quite interesting.

The Reaktor Block "XYS" is sort of similar, being a 4x4 matrix of values with different modes of accessing them, but designing the motions would be up to you by a combination of gate signals, output logic and the X & Y axis playback modes. Even though it's just a 4x4 matrix, it can produce longer sequences due to it accounting for the direction from where each node is arrived at. Plus it has two gate inputs.

Not much use if you don't have Reaktor tho, and it's more interactive than your goal.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #4
nzdutchie

cthulhu is a powerful midi tool able to do chords and arps. Design your own arp patterns and chords. I use one instance of cthulhu to feed other instances of cthulhu. Great piece of software.
nzdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
transtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
Looks like a pretty unique approach and quite interesting.

The Reaktor Block "XYS" is sort of similar, being a 4x4 matrix of values with different modes of accessing them, but designing the motions would be up to you by a combination of gate signals, output logic and the X & Y axis playback modes. Even though it's just a 4x4 matrix, it can produce longer sequences due to it accounting for the direction from where each node is arrived at. Plus it has two gate inputs.

Not much use if you don't have Reaktor tho, and it's more interactive than your goal.
Thanks, XYS looks very promising, but I don't have Reaktor 6. I might be tempted to purchase it, but right now, I am trying to achieve this result with what I have: a Beatstep, various MIDI controllers and VST/VSTIs.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
transtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdutchie View Post
cthulhu is a powerful midi tool able to do chords and arps. Design your own arp patterns and chords. I use one instance of cthulhu to feed other instances of cthulhu. Great piece of software.
Nice, I had not thought about Arp in Arp approach. I will check into that.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
transtrans

Somebody at KVR suggested Nova 3

It seems to fit the bill and really fun to play with.