Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #1
flipotto
Human being with feelings

Default Lemur - mcu - klinke cserf - template development

Hey, all you lemur folks,

I am in the process of editing a lemur mackie emulation template.
At the moment - I am just hacking someone else's template, designed for Sonar.
Why go mackie?
Well most of my interest is the mixer section, but the main reason is the incredible flexibility provided via Klinke's mcu cserf plugin. In particular, the support for folder tracks. With a mcu, or emulation, you can dive down into nested folders, and back out, very quickly. This is so much better than banking around.
In addition, control over what tracks are displayed on the mcu emulation. The choice of tcp, mcp, or the track selectable "mcu" set, is so cool, for my use.
I track my band, then like to hangout and listen. I don't have a control room and there is no room to hangout by the computer. The iPad/lemur mcu lets me rough mix from across the room. Am considering an iPhone version also.
I have something working, but my understanding of containers and layered interfaces is limited, so much of the extra functionality of the sonar template goes unused, because I don't know how to edit it properly, yet.
If anyone would like to join me in this task, I would love the help.

I'll post what I have so far, if there is interest.
The ultimate goal, for me is combining some Osc stuff from divergens and binders reaper template with the mackie mixer section.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
flipotto

Default Rough layout

Here is the rough layout.
Again copied from the link above, by softcore for Sonar.
Many things remain from his layout that I don't quite understand. He/she made a complex container with names that I'm still trying to figure out.
I am slowly tearing it apart for what I need for MCU to work on ipad.

There are a few things not working, yet, and a few things that will end up osc... but here's a start.
Intended to work with Klinke's csurf mcu plugin.

Faders work, transports work, vpots work, folder dive works.
Flip works.
Master mute/master vu / region labels will work with osc ... later.

Anyone want to help?
Attached Files
File Type: zip @MCU_REAPER_Klinke1.zip (22.4 KB, 189 views)
Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
airon

Why choose to emulate a Mackie Control Universal ?

I'm taking a close look at Lemur and there are some templates for Reaper that do a pretty decent job at showing things like effect parameters and the likes.

Did you pick MCU and the Klinke Csurf for its custom fx layouts ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:47 AM   #4
flipotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Why choose to emulate a Mackie Control Universal ?

I'm taking a close look at Lemur and there are some templates for Reaper that do a pretty decent job at showing things like effect parameters and the likes.

Did you pick MCU and the Klinke Csurf for its custom fx layouts ?
Yes - there are some really nice templates...

Why MCU with Klinke? The answer is not, I am obsessed with mcu and have been for a very long time. The main reason is control of folder tracks. It's hard for me to show the answer, I will try to describe. First know that I own an MCU and use it at the control spot, so it is a comfortable layout for me. But I like it when I am recording too, I turn away from the computer to face the band, but still need control. Again - the biggest reason is below.

Here is the text from Klinke's manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke
7.1.1 Folder-Mode
By default the folder structure of REAPER is not reflected on the MCU. However, it is possible
to change this via the Folder-Mode Property in the Pan-Mode Options. When the Folder mode is
activated, the tree-like structure of the tracks in REAPER is reflected on the MCU and you only see
the children of a track and, if desired, the parent of these children. The idea behind this is that the
folder structure corresponds to sub-mixes, and you can easily select and work on a single sub-mix
or go back a step and mix only on the level of the sub-mixes. This can improve track navigation a
lot.
*footnote - When you switch to Folder-Mode, only tracks are shown that have the Master track as their
root. For all tracks that have children, the LED below the VPOT is illuminated. You can select
these tracks as a new root track by pressing the corresponding SELECT button for longer than one
second. To move back to the root track, press the GLOBAL VIEW button.
Theoretically, you can create a structure with 584 tracks and each track is no more then five clicks away. Or in
combination with the Quick Jump feature, no more then three click.
So, if I carefully craft my project to have 8 folders (these would be submixes of drums, vocals, instruments, fx, room etc. Each of those has sub(nested)folders and sometimes another sub(nested)folder. It is very easy to navigate for control.
So when mixing I have 8 folder tracks on my display, I select drums and it dives into that folder, all the drums populate the display and the faders work on those tracks. I hit the global view and it comes back out of the folder. I need to make a movie of it, it is really nice.

There are options for what is controlled/shown: Showing parents on the display or not, showing TCP or MCP on the display but also I can choose what tracks are displayed using the MCU dialog - that is built into the Klinke csurf LCD display. Again this is hard to describe, but very efficient and effective.

Now - my intention is NOT to do a pure mcu ONLY. I really only want the mixer section but I might as well keep what works in these groups of eight and follow along. Maybe the transport section too... maybe the fkeys.

Now - what to add from OSC - a better master meter, current region current marker.
Any action triggers.
Then fx control. The MCU fx control is not very good for me... I don't know why I never use it.

What I did not post was my osc tab ... yet, as it is very specific to my needs.
I have cue mixer for tracking the band. In my set I have 2 cue mix tracks, one for instruments that all tracked instruments are routed too and one for vocals. These are routed to hardware outs for headphone mix - we record on headphones.
So I have a tab that has a Instruments cue mix track and 9 receives that I can control the volume/pan and have meters. A vox cue mix track with 9 receives I can control the volume/pan and meters.

So we can be playing along and when someone gets too loud and does not notice themselves... I can bring them down with a quick move on the ipad in front of me.

I do want to take the best of both worlds and combine them into something very usable.
Right now - the mcu is a great starting point for the mixer section, because of the folder diving.
I want to add in the automation mode toggle but also follow the folder diving.

Last edited by flipotto; 04-19-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
fundorin
Banned

Does it work with a default pattern config? I see commands that are coming from iPad to Reaper in "Listen" window, but they aren't familiar (as in default txt file) and Reaper doesn't respond to them at all.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #6
flipotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
Does it work with a default pattern config? I see commands that are coming from iPad to Reaper in "Listen" window, but they aren't familiar (as in default txt file) and Reaper doesn't respond to them at all.
Yeah - woops. I did not post the reaper.osc file
Attached Files
File Type: reaperosc Lemur_CueMix1.ReaperOSC (17.2 KB, 260 views)