Old 09-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
HSJIII
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Audio Settings Wierdness

I recently tried to install a legacy card on my system. It went badly. The card was meant for windows xp (I think), and it didn't agree with my Windows 7. Now I don't remember what it looked like before, but my audio settings currently includes a weird entry. The entry is labelled "WDM Kernel Streaming (Windows XP)". The reason I say this is a weird entry is I'm not RUNNING xp. I'm running windows 7 64. So I would not expect anything related to xp here. I'm at a loss as to how to remove this thing in a surgically clean way, without damaging my audio file system. The last thing on earth I'd want would be to remove too much. But leaving this thing here might be the root cause of one of my DAC not being visible through ASIO4All. So I'm wondering if Reaper made this thing show up by itself, or if it's my fault, or if it was there before I tried to install a legacy card. I have no way of telling...and I can't revert my system... I have gone through removing all sorts of legacy soundblaster stuff from this system in order to try to get it clean again, but it still won't find that dac. I can't give up on it if there's still hope... but I just don't know what to think about this thing, because I don't remember whether it was there before. What a mess. Can anyone contribute helpful feedback to this situation?
Thank You!
Sam
HSJIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSJIII View Post
I recently tried to install a legacy card on my system. It went badly. The card was meant for windows xp (I think), and it didn't agree with my Windows 7. Now I don't remember what it looked like before, but my audio settings currently includes a weird entry. The entry is labelled "WDM Kernel Streaming (Windows XP)". The reason I say this is a weird entry is I'm not RUNNING xp. I'm running windows 7 64. So I would not expect anything related to xp here. I'm at a loss as to how to remove this thing in a surgically clean way, without damaging my audio file system. The last thing on earth I'd want would be to remove too much. But leaving this thing here might be the root cause of one of my DAC not being visible through ASIO4All. So I'm wondering if Reaper made this thing show up by itself, or if it's my fault, or if it was there before I tried to install a legacy card. I have no way of telling...and I can't revert my system... I have gone through removing all sorts of legacy soundblaster stuff from this system in order to try to get it clean again, but it still won't find that dac. I can't give up on it if there's still hope... but I just don't know what to think about this thing, because I don't remember whether it was there before. What a mess. Can anyone contribute helpful feedback to this situation?
Thank You!
Sam
Open the Reaper Preferences, Audio device settings. In the Audio system combo, select ASIO. Under ASIO Driver, select your Asio4All driver (or your audio interface's ASIO driver if there is one). WDM is an alternative audio driver format, just ignore it. In fact, I have it listed too.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
HSJIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Open the Reaper Preferences, Audio device settings. In the Audio system combo, select ASIO. Under ASIO Driver, select your Asio4All driver (or your audio interface's ASIO driver if there is one). WDM is an alternative audio driver format, just ignore it. In fact, I have it listed too.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

The other part of my problems is that one of my dacs stopped working. Although I suspect this might be hardware failure, my alternate possibility is that the bad driver somehow stimulated a device conflict. The problem began when I tried to use rearoute. The dac no longer makes any sound...and as of today, it stopped showing up on the device list at all. I'm not sure what ot make of it. I have another thread tryign to analyze this as a hardware failure. I'm trying to concurrently consider the possibility that it was caused by the legacy (unsupported) card installation with an off-o.s. driver, or by rearoute simply conflicting it away, somehow (I had just installed rearoute when this problem started.

Unfortunately the nature of the mess is that the dac itself made alot of heat before it failed. It might have been put to some circular wiring that made it overheat. Troubleshooting this is hard when I'm not sure which thing made the problem happen.
HSJIII is offline   Reply With Quote