Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Flash Gordon
Human being with feelings

Default Will this be the same Song And Dance?

Hello. I'm about to venture in to Reaper for the first time so before I download the software I want to be sure that I'm fully compatble.
First. I use Windows 7, 32 bit. Is that ok?
Second. Should I stop now and wait until I can afford a Mac?
Third. Does Reaper require Windows users to perform an optimization guide list as required by another famous DAW software company, to assure fewer interuptions in the operation for Windows users?
Fourth. I used to be a pro musician and I'm very interested in multi track recording. I'm an old Geezer, retired. This is a hobby to keep me away from the wife. That said, after reading up on the web site it appears to me that you guys are technically smarter than those people over at brand X!
So should I assume that, if that is so, I might possibly have more trouble learning Reaper than I did learning Brand X ! (Oh, what the hell. IT's Pro Tools!!
Finally. After recieving your blessing and being assured my concerns are not valid, Im glad to be a member and looking forward to a lot less aggrivation!.
Flash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
tls11823

Reaper is very forgiving of the operating system. Win 7 32-bit will be fine. I can't see any reason to switch to Mac to run Reaper, although feel free if you have other reasons to migrate. And if you ultimately want to run a Mac, you can start on Windows now and switch over when your sack of pennies is large enough.

When I bought a new laptop to replace an aging desktop, I just installed Reaper, moved over my old projects, and I was done. I never bothered with any optimization and haven't experienced any problems.

Multitrack recording is a breeze with Reaper. It's easy to record multiple simultaneous tracks and to add tracks later on.

I used to be with a different Brand X DAW (Sonar). There was a slight learning curve due to different approaches and different keystrokes. But within a few weeks my brain had been rewired to the Reaper way of doing things and I haven't looked back. Reaper may not be the easiest to learn for a DAW novice, but if you have the concepts down, the transition shouldn't be difficult for you.

You'll definitely learn a lot from the folks on this forum. I'd imagine that most of the questions you'll come up with have already been asked. And if not, ask away. Somebody will be along to give you a hand. I also strongly recommend the various Reaper books by Geoffrey Francis and Kenny Gioia's tutorials on groove3.com - or both the books and the videos. You'll find a wealth of knowledge as well as some great tips on getting on the fast track to Reaper.

So give the download a try. It's a free trial. If you're like me, you'll make your buying decision after just a few days of using it.

Welcome to the obsession!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
bluzkat

Download Reaper and give it a workout (60 day free, uncrippled demo), no need to worry about all the 'other' stuff.

Don't forget the Reaper User Guide...

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php.

Welcome to Reaperville!!

Old 09-20-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
Flash Gordon

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Flash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
ginormous

As a fellow old-schooler, I can vouch for this forum. This is a great place to learn... and there's a few years of freeware (over 43 pages!) VSTi's (virtual instruments) over here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382

Also, if you're looking for FX and processor plugins, here's another:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=563
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote