Old 05-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
ptourin
Human being with feelings

Default macro for fade out/silence/fade in??

I need to clean up live concert tapes by removing applause, talking and tuning between pieces. Is there a way I can automate this process with a macro, so I could set a marker where I want a face out to start, and another marker where I want the next fade in to end, then run a macro that does, for example, a 5-second fade out, then 10 seconds of silence, then 5-second fade in? I did some internet searching but didn't see anything that tells me I can do this, much less how...
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:40 AM   #2
Stella645

Well not exactly but how about:

In Prefs/Project/Media Item Defaults set Create Auto Fade to 5 seconds

Use time selection on the bit you want to silence and then run the action Item:Remove selected area of items.

Or for a bit more flexibility with a few more clicks could be to split, then use the fade in/fade out to mouse cursor action which would let you choose the fade length for each one but still apply it quickly.

Or you could create all your silences using method 1 and then select all items and using Ctrl/Alt modifier a fade applied to one by dragging the top corner will apply to all.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 AM   #3
andyp24

Create a couple of Automation Items, one for Fade Out and one for Fade In, then just drag them to the position instead?
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
ptourin

If I drag a fade-out and a bit later drag a fade-in, how do I silence the space in between? Do you highlight an area and click a "silence" function? Once that's all in place, it's easy enough to decide on an area to highlight and delete in order to get whatever duration of silence I want, I'd think. Sorry for all the simple questions - trying to jump-start this project and I haven't used an editor since years ago with SoundForge and CoolEdit. There seem to be a lot of improvements, but simple things still hang me, like how to scrub and pick places to put markers - and I don't know yet what everything is called. Thanks for helping me move it along.
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:52 AM   #5
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourin View Post
If I drag a fade-out and a bit later drag a fade-in, how do I silence the space in between?
You mean if you drag an automation item or with normal dragging of a fade??
Old 05-30-2018, 02:11 AM   #6
Stella645

Here's a gif showing my method from 1st post. If you're using fixed length fades this seems like a good solution?

https://i.imgur.com/A7BpV8e.gif

If you don't want to use time selection you can also ctrl right click and drag on the item to select the region. Assign another key command to the remove selected action and you can select with one hand and apply the action with the other.