Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
Lampreys77
Human being with feelings

Default Upgrading to this Century: Windows>Windows or Windows>Mac Migration

Hello Reaper users, this is my first post in years of lurking so here goes. kind of a multipart query

I am going to upgrade my DAW. I have questions about my old project files.

~Option 1~
Build a windows 7 based daw workstation tailored to Reaper and to handle some big plugins such as Toontrack ezdrummer and maybe a new ampsim program like guitar rig or amplitube. has anyone done this recently with in the last 6 months or so that could pass on some words of wisdom?

Question: if i do this will my old windows xp (please lol at my expense i don't mind haha)reaper files migrate seamlessly into my new machine?

~Option 2~
Buy an out of the box Mac semi customized on apples website to save on hassle of building and parts compatibility etc etc.

Question: if i do this will my old windows xp reaper files migrate seamlessly into my new machine?

From what i gather and have read on older threads, given Reapers awesome nature Windows>Mac migration is pretty bang on providing my plugin's want to play ball? Which makes sense i gather. I wager my biggest hangup is going to be EZdrummer migration from one to the other?

So much to think about. Anyway, words of wisdom and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Lampreys77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
4x4uk

I will answer the windows part for you yes your old reaper project files can be migrated seamlessly, if your new machine has all the plugins you used on your old machines projects

If you don't have all the plugins they will still import but unavailable plugins will be bypassed and you will get warnings they are missing.

With regards to the mac plugins will probably be the issue. Projects will import but you will definately have plugin issues with your old project files
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
pattste

Regarding option one, you don't have to build it yourself. There are DAW builders who can build you a great computer perfectly tuned for audio production. Also, I suspect many of us are happily making music using (essentially) off-the-shelf Windows computers. I bought my laptop in December 2012 for $950 at Costco and simply replaced the hard disk with a $200 Samsung SSD. It has been trouble free.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
TimOBrien

I switched but it's purely personal preference. Make sure the software/plugins/interface runs on the platform you want and have at it.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Lampreys77

Sound advice from everyone.

Pattste: Can you recommend any good DAW builders outside of Music XPC? I like the idea of a DAW builder but you still end up paying out the nose. I had looked at MusicXPC but the prices were kind of frightful. Granted they save a few hassles but if i were to drop that kind of money on a windows machine i would probably be further ahead to drop the same bucks on a mac. So i feel i am back to square one. But i'll be honest when i say outside of Reiners audio (now out of business) and MusicXPC i don't know of any reputable DAW builders.

I'd only really build a machine myself to simply get what i wanted and save a few bucks. And because i have heard that buying out of the box PC's can be a hassle because of proprietary issues and other stuff you'd suffer through with the likes of an HP or Dell?

Still great advice though thank you.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
ginormous

The main issue I had with buying an off-the-shelf Win 7 was the utterly useless software, most of which I've deleted.

Reading online versions of newspapers?
Setting up an online WalMart photo account?
HP Games (which is really run by one of the biggest spam generators in the biz)?

*game show buzzer*
"I'm sorry. The answer we were looking for was, 'hell no'. Thanks for playing."
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Lampreys77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
The main issue I had with buying an off-the-shelf Win 7 was the utterly useless software, most of which I've deleted.

Reading online versions of newspapers?
Setting up an online WalMart photo account?
HP Games (which is really run by one of the biggest spam generators in the biz)?

*game show buzzer*
"I'm sorry. The answer we were looking for was, 'hell no'. Thanks for playing."
So you just use an off the shelf HP rig or something. And it works good for you? aside from all that other gunk?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
pattste

I don't have any personal experience with them, but all three DAW builders below get regular mentions / recommendations in the various forums.

http://www.adkproaudio.com/
http://www.studiocat.com/
http://www.dawplus.com/

As I said, I'm just using a regular off-the-shelf but pretty high-end HP laptop with an aftermarket Samsung SSD drive. As for all the bloatware, I have my own retail Windows license so I simply formatted the disk and installed that. Problem solved.

I should point out that, almost two years later, you'll still pay $2000 for a MacBookPro with similar specs. Admittedly, the Retina display is better than almost anything on PC laptops. However, I use my laptop in clamshell mode with an external display, keyboard and mouse 95% of the time so the point is moot. Apart from that, today's Macs are using the same Intel processors, memory, graphic cards and other components as PCs. According to DAWbench, most if not all crossplatform DAWs run better on Windows than on the Mac currently.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
bluzkat

I'll give a big "thumbs up" for Jim @ StudioCat... he's a fellow Reaper user and knows his 'stuff'.

I will buy my next DAW from StudioCat as my health won't allow me to build my own PCs anymore.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Lampreys77

Ok cool, thanks for all that! Sound advice for sure. Still kind of has me scratching my head a little bit as to the best course of action to take?

I am actually quite happy to see that there are more actual windows daw builders out there than i had originally once thought! I guess i gotta figure out what i need/want then hey?

Are there any good resources or guidelines that kind of break down the basics of what a person needs for x amount of tracks, x amount of plugins, x amount of synths etc etc ?

I guess the reality i need to accept is that it is next to impossible to keep up on technology ?? haha.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
msore

Default maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampreys77 View Post
Ok cool, thanks for all that! Sound advice for sure. Still kind of has me scratching my head a little bit as to the best course of action to take?

I am actually quite happy to see that there are more actual windows daw builders out there than i had originally once thought! I guess i gotta figure out what i need/want then hey?

Are there any good resources or guidelines that kind of break down the basics of what a person needs for x amount of tracks, x amount of plugins, x amount of synths etc etc ?

I guess the reality i need to accept is that it is next to impossible to keep up on technology ?? haha.
Maybe the way to keep up on technology is not to take it seriously. All the OS's are from the last century. I suggest concentrating on music. New OS and systems will come out (sometime soon) that will show Mac and Windows to be archaic. [Y'all remember I said that when it comes to pass.]
Old 09-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
I'll give a big "thumbs up" for Jim @ StudioCat... he's a fellow Reaper user and knows his 'stuff'.

I will buy my next DAW from StudioCat as my health won't allow me to build my own PCs anymore.

Jim's boxes are great, especially since you are getting the testing and R&D by Jim who spends his time doing just that, and specifically for being a DAW it is ready to go. He won't even let you have it until he has tested it for stability for at least 24 hours. I picked one up a couple of years ago when I needed one in a hurry, typing from it now, great machine humming along at 4.5 GHz.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Jae.Thomas

another ++1 for jim. He built 2 that I ordered and consulted me on another. Rock.f'ing.solid.

And what support!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
Lampreys77

I wonder if this Jim chap would consult me perhaps. I am in canada and i am pretty sure it isn't worth my financial while to have electronics shipped across the border. I think i may drop this guy a line and see whats what.

Lots of votes for this dude.

Thanks again for taking time to help me out. I hope i can give back the community in the future.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #15
SamuelC

The way things are going with Apple, you all know what's coming and should be a no surprise.

Every person I know that is in industry of pro video, graphics has completely abandon the Mac Pro's as Apple really does not care for the Pro's anymore.

Everyone knows that any day the Mac Pro's will be killed.

It's the Phones baby. money making hand over fist $800 phones that is where the money and investment is going into and not Desktops anymore.

Releasing OS X for free was the final notice for all the Pro's "YOU ARE BEING LEFT BEHIND DITCH NOW OR GET SCREWED"

Maybe Windows 9 ( coming around the corner will bring some excitement.

But for right now Desktop Computers are becoming a "niche" Machine.

I have seen 4 core systems for under $299 with OS, hardrive and 8 gigs of ram

It's the cell phones, every tech company is focusing on them for sales right now and they are not spending any money on making Desktop computers faster.

If there were no dumb ass smart phone crap Desktop system would of been at 10 ghz by now.

Look at any tech flyer it's all CELL PHONES!!

Desktop Computers are becoming a "Machine for PRO work only" Computers.

We have at 4 gighz for years and years, ram on OEM systems is still pathetic.

It's back to the 90's again when building your own systems is the only way to get a computer you want.
SamuelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #16
ginormous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampreys77 View Post
So you just use an off the shelf HP rig or something. And it works good for you? aside from all that other gunk?
It's an HP desktop with a dual-core AMD, running Win 7 64-bit, which does OK. I've had some issues with the Reaper 64-bit (not Reaper's fault), so I run 32-bit with no problems.

Freeware plugins all day long, most of which were suggested from here ("freeware... well, almost" thread). Only had to delete 1 or 2, but plenty of others to take up the slack.
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote