Old 12-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #41
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Ok, I've notice that the reaper.new_array() has a limited size.
What's is the max sample length that this can analyze. I know it's somewhere under a minute.
Oops, never tested it with long files. Should be fixed in today's update. It's now only analyzing the first second of each file, which should be enough for one-shots (hmmm, I guess I could make it 3-5 seconds just to be safe).
Old 12-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #42
Phazma

Didn't notice the existence of this script until now. Very cool!

But it doesn't work here... GUI is visible but no keys light up when I play sounds and whatever I do (changing algorithm, pressing a key etc..) crashes the script with this error message:

Code:
bad argument #1 to 'PCM_Source_CreateFromFileEx' (string expected, got nil)
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #43
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Didn't notice the existence of this script until now. Very cool!

But it doesn't work here... GUI is visible but no keys light up when I play sounds and whatever I do (changing algorithm, pressing a key etc..) crashes the script with this error message:

Code:
bad argument #1 to 'PCM_Source_CreateFromFileEx' (string expected, got nil)
Hmm, I can replicate that, but only if I run the script, then close the Media explorer, then press on the GUI/keyboard. Is the MX open/visible when it happens?
Old 12-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #44
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Is the MX open/visible when it happens?
Yes it is.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #45
FeedTheCat

Ahh found it... (the gif helped a lot). You're using "Options: Show file extension even when file type displayed". Fixing, thanks!
Old 12-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #46
FeedTheCat

Btw guys, in v1.3 I also added detection from file name or metadata. Both of these are enabled by default, but can be disabled through the options.

Let me know if it's not working for file names where you'd expect it to work. (It's looking at the end of the file name for something C1 or G# etc.)
Old 12-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #47
Phazma

Quote:
Btw guys, in v1.3 I also added detection from file name or metadata. Both of these are enabled by default, but can be disabled through the options.

Let me know if it's not working for file names where you'd expect it to work. (It's looking at the end of the file name for something C1 or G# etc.)
Thanks, it works now!

It is a bit tedious that it stops every time the MX is closed and needs to be restarted when the MX is re-opened. Do you think there is a way to automatically run the script when the MX is opened and stop it when the MX is closed? I think a custom action that combines "Show/hide media explorer" and "MX Tuner" could work (with Terminate instance + remember answer) but I am afraid that at some point the toggle state could get out of sync somehow and it all breaks.

Regarding the key detection from name or metadata, that's a cool addition! Not sure whether I will use it though because I can read the file name / metadata anyway and should it be labelled incorrectly the MX Tuner will also display an incorrect pitch. If the key detection is not linked to name/metadata however and the MX Tuner shows a different pitch from name/metadata I still have the choice whether I want to trust the file indication or the Tuner.

Anyway, for metadata it works pretty nicely but seems to not detect flats (like "Eb" for example).
For filenames it also seems to work in most cases but I had a pitch shown wrong for a file named "Filename_F".

Btw some questions:

There are FFT and FTC algorithm. I tried both and both mostly get the pitches correct. But sometimes FFT fails and FTC is correct and other times FTC fails and FFT is correct.
I am wondering, are there certain audio materials where one algorithm works better than the other or is it mostly by chance which one works better?

Also there is this "Pitch snap" feature for Semitones/Quarter tones/Continuous. I don't really understand how that works.. sure I guess quarter tones has a higher resolution than semitones, but the GUI only shows a semitone keyboard anyway so how can we benefit from anything more precise than semitones? Is the rounding different when using quarter tones or continuous pitch snap as opposed to semitone?

And maybe an idea for a cool additional feature: option to change rate instead of pitch? So we could do varispeed style pitching?

Last thing.. I noticed sometimes playback doesn't restart as expected when pressing a different key too quickly after the file preview has ended. Hard to describe, here a video: https://vimeo.com/655535319

Edit: also an option to not lock pitch when clicking the keyboard GUI would be nice. Sometimes the keyboard GUI can be great for searching the ideal pitch for an individual sound before importing it but then the next selected sample might need a different pitch so it would be good to hear it in original pitch without the need to unlock first.

Last edited by Phazma; 12-10-2021 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #48
cool

Quote:

Thanks!
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:01 AM   #49
FeedTheCat

Quote:
It is a bit tedious that it stops every time the MX is closed and needs to be restarted when the MX is re-opened. Do you think there is a way to automatically run the script when the MX is opened and stop it when the MX is closed? I think a custom action that combines "Show/hide media explorer" and "MX Tuner" could work (with Terminate instance + remember answer) but I am afraid that at some point the toggle state could get out of sync somehow and it all breaks.
Should now work in last update without getting out of sync.

Quote:
Anyway, for metadata it works pretty nicely but seems to not detect flats (like "Eb" for example).
For filenames it also seems to work in most cases but I had a pitch shown wrong for a file named "Filename_F".
I added support for minor keys with b (and the _ prefix)

Quote:
Btw some questions:

There are FFT and FTC algorithm. I tried both and both mostly get the pitches correct. But sometimes FFT fails and FTC is correct and other times FTC fails and FFT is correct.
I am wondering, are there certain audio materials where one algorithm works better than the other or is it mostly by chance which one works better?
I've found FTC to work better for material with a lot of tonal information (e.g. synths), and FFT on percussive stuff like snares, congas etc. But not actually sure if it's not just random after all

Quote:
Also there is this "Pitch snap" feature for Semitones/Quarter tones/Continuous. I don't really understand how that works.. sure I guess quarter tones has a higher resolution than semitones, but the GUI only shows a semitone keyboard anyway so how can we benefit from anything more precise than semitones? Is the rounding different when using quarter tones or continuous pitch snap as opposed to semitone?
When set to continuous, you allow the script to adjust the pitch dial more precisely (e.g to 4.12 instead of 4.0). There's no API call to set pitch though, which is why unfortunately there's a small delay (see first post).

Quote:
And maybe an idea for a cool additional feature: option to change rate instead of pitch? So we could do varispeed style pitching?
That's interesting, I'll have to look into that.

Quote:
Last thing.. I noticed sometimes playback doesn't restart as expected when pressing a different key too quickly after the file preview has ended. Hard to describe, here a video: https://vimeo.com/655535319
Not much I can do about that (again no API access). The alternative would be to stop the preview each time you set a new pitch.

Quote:
Edit: also an option to not lock pitch when clicking the keyboard GUI would be nice. Sometimes the keyboard GUI can be great for searching the ideal pitch for an individual sound before importing it but then the next selected sample might need a different pitch so it would be good to hear it in original pitch without the need to unlock first.
Definitely doable. Maybe I'll add that in the future.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:58 AM   #50
Phazma

Thanks for the script update and for all the answers.

I've noticed that not always it reads metadata correctly:

And here another naming format I found on some of my samples which isn't supported:

There are of course endless possibilities to write the key into the file name and to support each and every format is impossible.. so not sure how far you want to go into that. But in case you find it useful I will report here each time I find an unsupported format (not expecting support for everything obviously).
Old 12-11-2021, 06:16 AM   #51
FeedTheCat

Quote:
I've noticed that not always it reads metadata correctly:
Thanks for testing! I messed that up in the last update. Should be working again.

Quote:
There are of course endless possibilities to write the key into the file name and to support each and every format is impossible.. so not sure how far you want to go into that. But in case you find it useful I will report here each time I find an unsupported format (not expecting support for everything obviously).
If it's easy to do I'll keep adding them.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #52
Phazma

Thanks, as of now it's all working nicely. Should I stumble on anything odd or find some unsupported key-filename schemes I will report here.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #53
todd_r

I have a problem now where MX Tuner doesn't load, nothing happens at all when I try to run it. Tried going back to different versions, uninstall/reinstalling. I thought it coincided with me enabling pre-release/bleeding edge in Reapack, have since unticked and re synced. Not sure if those are now gone. Is there a dependency I could have incidentally upgraded that could cause the problem?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #54
todd_r

Hm, so the problem is actually that it wont dock in the same dock as Media Explorer on the right anymore. You can have it free floating or dock it elsewhere, but if you try to have it on the right with the MX on the right it just disappears.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #55
todd_r

Reinstalled Reaper and its working again, apologies for the stream of consciousness!
Old 01-13-2022, 11:16 AM   #56
Ozman

Is it possible to also write to metadata?
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:05 PM   #57
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Is it possible to also write to metadata?
Haven't really looked into it, but I don't think so.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #58
Ozman

Ok, thanks man.
This, what you've made here, is such an integral part of sampling that it should be a part of Reaper's native code. Anyways, now RS5K needs timestretch/pitch-shift as an option with its resampling, so that we can quickly and effectively play these darn one-shots without a 3rd party VST.

Last edited by Ozman; 01-14-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:43 PM   #59
hopi

docking gets a bit messy for me.... wish it could just show up inside the ME but probably can't do that...

so how about this:

I don't know the code but I do know it exists... to do two things:

1-remember the last position of the gui window when it was last opened, and
2-make it the topmost window

can those be added to this lua please?

Last edited by hopi; 01-19-2022 at 05:19 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:19 AM   #60
todd_r

I've got it docked below the media browser, it remembers its position for me
Old 01-20-2022, 04:47 PM   #61
FeedTheCat

Just updated MX Tuner to v1.4:
  • Added option to avoid keyboard focus (enabled by default)
  • Added option to hide window frame
  • Remember undocked window position
  • Locked key now adapts to pitch dial changes

@hopi
Hope this helps Why do you want it to be the topmost window?
Old 01-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #62
hopi

Quote:
Just updated MX Tuner to v1.4:
  • Added option to avoid keyboard focus (enabled by default)
  • Added option to hide window frame
  • Remember undocked window position
  • Locked key now adapts to pitch dial changes

@hopi
Hope this helps Why do you want it to be the topmost window?
ummm maybe topmost should be an option.... for me it matters so that other things open don't hide MX Tuner GUI, for example the ME can hide it.... thanks for the changes!

Last edited by hopi; 01-20-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:43 AM   #63
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
ummm maybe topmost should be an option.... for me it matters so that other things open don't hide MX Tuner GUI, for example the ME can hide it.... thanks for the changes!
I've added it as an option, let me know if there's issues.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:04 AM   #64
hopi

tested and topmost seems to be not working ver. 1.41
or perhaps I don't know how to turn that option on???

I thank you very much !!!
EDIT: I added this bit from another lua at the end... and it does topmost but NOT for the Media Exp. window... that window still runs over the MX Tuner.... is there a way to change that?

Quote:
-- Set window topmost

hwnd = reaper.JS_Window_Find('MX Tuner' ,true) -- find lua window
if hwnd then
reaper.BR_Win32_SetWindowPos(hwnd,"HWND_TOPMOST" , 0, 0, 0, 0, 19) -- 19 = SWP_NOMOVE Or SWP_NOSIZE Or SWP_NOACTIVATE.
end

Main()
reaper.atexit(Exit)

Last edited by hopi; 01-21-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #65
dna598

I have been desperate for a dedicated drum hit tuner but this is even better! genius!

The graphics appear broken on my theme. The black keys and note names are white (invisible) until the mouse is over them.

It does not do this in certain themes. Unfortunately it does in the theme i use.(https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2320/F...ection%20frame)

I can still use it. Thanks again!

Any chance there is a way to add an option for pitching the item by rate? (I always avoid stretching drum hits)
dna598 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:21 AM   #66
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
tested and topmost seems to be not working ver. 1.41
or perhaps I don't know how to turn that option on???

I thank you very much !!!
EDIT: I added this bit from another lua at the end... and it does topmost but NOT for the Media Exp. window... that window still runs over the MX Tuner.... is there a way to change that?
Oops, I somehow missed your post/edit. What OS are you on? It seems to work fine on my windows installation. (Checking "Always on top" in the window menu options)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna598 View Post
I have been desperate for a dedicated drum hit tuner but this is even better! genius!

The graphics appear broken on my theme. The black keys and note names are white (invisible) until the mouse is over them.

It does not do this in certain themes. Unfortunately it does in the theme i use.(https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2320/F...ection%20frame)

I can still use it. Thanks again!
Yeah.. using theme colors was probably not the best idea... A lot of themes use images for piano keys so they have really weird colors set for the piano keys. I'll add a few themes for MX Tuner in the next update.

Quote:
Any chance there is a way to add an option for pitching the item by rate? (I always avoid stretching drum hits)
I'll look into it, might be easy to add (or really hard)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #67
dna598

Quote:
Yeah.. using theme colors was probably not the best idea... A lot of themes use images for piano keys so they have really weird colors set for the piano keys. I'll add a few themes for MX Tuner in the next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna598

I'll look into it, might be easy to add (or really hard)
nice!

BTW i can't seem to dock it? It just disappears and i have to reload it.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #68
FeedTheCat

Quote:
nice!

BTW i can't seem to dock it? It just disappears and i have to reload it.
What OS? Are you docking it via the right-click menu? (Window > Dock window)
Old 01-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #69
dna598

Quote:
What OS? Are you docking it via the right-click menu? (Window > Dock window)

yes, and windows 10.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:30 AM   #70
FeedTheCat

Big update with a small changelog: v1.5
  • Detect and allow tuning via rate knob.

Changes to the rate knob that affect pitch are now correctly displayed and accounted for (respecting option to preserve pitch when changing rate).

To enable tuning with the rate knob go to:
    Menu > Pitch snap > Tune with rate.

• Added 4 themes

1 light theme + 1 dark theme
    + 2 themes that use REAPER theme colors

Old 01-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #71
FeedTheCat

@dna598

I couldn't really find something wrong with docking on windows. But I made a few minor changes. Please check if the latest update fixes the issue.

If it doesn't, could you please open your reaper-extstate.ini (Options > Show REAPER resource path) and send me the content of the [FTC.MXTuner] section?
Old 01-26-2022, 10:41 AM   #72
dna598

Quote:
@dna598

I couldn't really find something wrong with docking on windows. But I made a few minor changes. Please check if the latest update fixes the issue.

If it doesn't, could you please open your reaper-extstate.ini (Options > Show REAPER resource path) and send me the content of the [FTC.MXTuner] section?
I can't find the update on Reapack or github? I'm still on 1.4.2

here:

[FTC.MXTuner]
is_docked=0
pos=1158 657 432 66
pitch_mode=3
algo_mode=2
meta_mode=1
name_mode=1
is_ontop=1
has_frame=0
avoid_focus=0

thanks
Old 01-26-2022, 11:04 AM   #73
FeedTheCat

Thanks, that gives me something to work with.

Quote:
I can't find the update on Reapack or github? I'm still on 1.4.2
Synchronize your ReaPack. It should be v1.5.1.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #74
dna598

Quote:
Thanks, that gives me something to work with.

Synchronize your ReaPack. It should be v1.5.1.
ah of course.

Look like the graphic issue is fixed. Still can't dock. oh , and rate....Nice man!
Old 01-27-2022, 07:07 AM   #75
FeedTheCat

Quote:
ah of course.

Look like the graphic issue is fixed. Still can't dock. oh , and rate....Nice man!
I managed to replicate the docking bug with a fresh install. Looks like it happens because you've never docked anything to the top of the arrange. Weird stuff... anyway, should be fixed now.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:27 AM   #76
lampshade

Hello FeedTheCat,

i can not get MX-tuner and Link-Explorer to run correctly on a portable install.

When starting MX-tuner i see the keyboard and can click on the keys and they turn red (lock) but nothing happens when i select a sample in the media explorer. (keys do not light up)

Link-Explorer also does not work... i get an error message - "Please focus a sampler fx window" - but when i focus the sampler nothing is linked.

Maybe it is because of the portable install?
Sorry for my english

Thank you.
lampshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:22 AM   #77
FeedTheCat

Hmmm, Windows or MacOS?

Can you maybe make a small GIF with licecap?
Old 01-28-2022, 08:42 AM   #78
lampshade

Quote:
Hmmm, Windows or MacOS?

Can you maybe make a small GIF with licecap?
The problem appears on a portable install on WIN10

I have a normal reaper installation on my mac... but i can not test it right now

Old 01-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #79
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
The problem appears on a portable install on WIN10

I have a normal reaper installation on my mac... but i can not test it right now

I think I managed to find the issue. The script wouldn't work in certain scenarios when the action list is open. Does it work with the latest update?

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 01-28-2022 at 10:41 AM.
FeedTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:36 AM   #80
lampshade

Quote:
I think I managed to find the issue. The script wouldn't work in certain scenarios when the action list is open. Does it work with the latest update?
Hello FeedTheCat,

sorry for the late reply.

I have found the reason for the error.

When the media explorer is set to list --> MX-Tuner does not work (at least not for me).
When the media explorer is set to details it works.

Thank you.