Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
jalan
Human being with feelings

Default First track in a while (modern rock)

Hi, all. I cut a few corners to get this online (like cutting off the cymbal sustain at the end - d'oh!), but wanted to get some feedback. Let me know what you think. Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/30secrets/devastate
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
DOWNtheMILE

I f**king LOVE this. That guitar tone is HUGE! Care to share your gear, mixing and especially that guitar tone? Sounds KILLER.

BTW that f**king chord you play at 1:18-ish - GOOD GOD MAN! What IS IT!? (and thank you for playing it again peppered in the track).

I'm a fan.
DOWNtheMILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
maxdembo

Yeah man! That heavy guitar sounds great! Real big sound. Nice.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
jalan

Thanks, guys! Glad you dig it. I can get into specifics when I have a little more time tonight. Stay tuned...
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
jalan

All right, got a little time to type now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOWNtheMILE View Post
I f**king LOVE this. That guitar tone is HUGE! Care to share your gear, mixing and especially that guitar tone? Sounds KILLER.
The good news is that the guitar tone is all freeware; the bad news is that the bass is a big part of the tone. Anyway, I'm using a Schecter Damien 7 with active EMGs (which I don't really care for) into my soundcard (WaMi Rack 24) via a Toneport GX (as a DI). The chain itself is:

TSE X50 ampsim (love this!)
keFIR w/ awesometime-fredman-preshigh impulse
ReaEQ
ReaGate
ReaEQ (yes, again)
Stillwell/delay_pong

If you want, I can try to send you the FX chain.

The bass makes a much bigger impact than you'd think. It's an Ibanez Soundgear recorded onto two tracks -- one clean, and one diiiiirty. I've seen a number of other people out here doing the same thing, but you can't beat this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mol6awk_aDo

And for the first time in a long time, I used the BBE plugin on my master channel and I think that made a HUGE difference (though a little goes a long way with that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOWNtheMILE View Post
BTW that f**king chord you play at 1:18-ish - GOOD GOD MAN! What IS IT!?
My music theory is too rusty to tell you what it *technically* is (some sort of diminished), but on my seven string, from low strong to high, it's:

X, 9, 10, 11, X, 0, 0

Basically a power chord on the 9th fret of the E string, but with a flat 5 and the top two strings open. It's a really ugly chord, but that's why I like it

Thanks again for the comments and interest. I checked out your stuff earlier and really dig that too! Kind of reminds me of Oceansize or God Speed You Black Emperor. Very raw/moody/ambient. I never have the patience to let stuff build like that, but I wish I did (everything I do is busy)

Ok, I've rambled enough. Any other comments or critiques?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
kindafishy

Very nice!

I hope you don't mind a "reminds me of". Reminds me of something Clutch would do. That's meant as a big compliment. I love Clutch.

Love the big distorted bass defining the bottom of the track. It adds so much to those guitars, which are coming through really clearly. Just the right amount of gain. Great thickness and clarity all around.

Great arrangement. Love the playful interaction in the middle 8.

This puppy stands really well on it's own. Awesome vocals would put this right over the top.

Great job. Interesting, clean, powerful, intelligent, aggressive and superbly mixed.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
jalan

Ha! I don't mind the Clutch reference at all, but it's surprising since I wouldn't consider them an influence (I love "Blast Tyrant", but that's about all I know of them).

You're absolutely right about the bass fattening up the guitars. And glad you like the down section. Doing a 6 count riff in a standard song is about as close as I get to progressive (unfortunately).

No plans to add vox right now, but I'll let you know if I change my mind. Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
EJ James

Now THAT'S what I'M talkin 'bout!

Freakin awesome song and killer tone.

Always love to see/hear another Schecter player. C1FR and two C7FR Hellraisers in my stable. LOVE those guitars.

Also use an Ibanez Soundgear SR-706 six string bass.

You have great taste in gear my friend. =)
Old 05-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
shangsean

Wow! That is an awesome guitar tone. Would love to hear it with vocals. Makes me want to go out and punch someone in the face or drive a big truck really fast (possibly followed by some face punching).
shangsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
jalan

Thanks, EJ and shangsean! May get some vocals on it eventually, but writing lyrics/melodies just slows me down Plus, then I have to work around someone else's schedule (I'm not much of a singer). This way, I can keep going whenever the mood strikes.

And while I don't condone violence, I did love the face punching comment