Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
GilbertNeal
Human being with feelings

Default Dirty Red Pagan

Hi. My fourth CD is called Dirty Red Pagan. It's available to own via iTunes, etc.etc. but I wanted you folks to get a chance to hear it. Tracks were recorded with Reaper by golly by gosh.

Thanks

GilbertNeal.com

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1293581
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirtyredpagan500.jpg (44.2 KB, 253 views)
GilbertNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
kindafishy

First impression: David Bowie inspiration is strong.
Second impression: Steely Dan inspiration is strong.

Then I read your description, lol.

Lots of major keys. Too happy for my sensibilities in general, but I can hear the songwriting talent and the time and effort that went into this, so I gave it an honest listen and I'm glad I did. This is some well crafted stuff.

A great moment is Let's Get The Band Back Together. Some great little funky wah riffs in there. I like the one dirty distant guitar in there too. Works really well. Good funky tune overall.

Some cool musical moments in several other tracks too. Water for instance is really cool musically for me (although the lyrics don't connect with me).

Jamie Day is awesome. I think this is the high point on the album in terms of writing, performance, arrangement and mix, really.

Yup, far and away, Jamie Day is the strongest track here IMO.

She's That Way is very charming as well, really like the verses and the lift. They are both stronger than the chorus - can't put my finger on why... but the chorus just doesn't have the strong character and charm of the other parts of the song. It's good, don't get me wrong... just not to the same level. I hear some vocal correction artifacts in this song, which is a shame.

Overall, this is pretty good material! Especially Jamie Day. That one's great.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
GilbertNeal

Fishy, thank you for taking the time to listen! It means everything and Jamie Day is a song of which I'm very proud.
GilbertNeal is offline   Reply With Quote