Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
James HE
Human being with feelings

Default roadkill, aliens, sex

I think I might describe this as Electro-Doom-Folk

https://soundcloud.com/james-he/thearmadillo

A bit, ok, a lot out, of my comfort zone with some of these sounds. I really have no mix reference. Maybe Nick Cave meets Flaming Lips or something.

Acoustic guitar, Fender Rhodes, electronic and acoustic drums, heavy bass.

THe Rhodes and some of the backing vocals are from the demo I made of this on cassette 4 track... a long time ago.

Rest of this week I'm just going to work on my country tunes.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
kindafishy

Great. What an awesome atmosphere. This is like 50's, dank, jazzy lounge meets Leonard Cohen in a drafty bar in the northern Yukon, but done with modern sounds.

13 seconds of silence at the start should be cleaned up a bit.

Love the heavy sub bass drones that come in around 3:50. Felt that at the back of my head at the base of my neck. Awesome.

I was starting to think, this is really cool, but I want it to go in a different direction for a bit, and just at that moment (around 4:35), you changed it up and introduce that nice, straight forward, relatable progression before the final resolution.

Loved it. All of it. Nice job.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Swamp Ape

Very cool, totally Nick Cave. Musically it also reminds me of "doom jazz" group Bohren & Der Club of Gore.

I think it could maybe use a bit more sense of space - it seems a little dry. That's just a nitpick though - very nicely put together.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
James HE

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

The "silence" at the start is basically noise from my 4 track, and some guitar (from the tape). Translates well on cranked headphones, will probably never be noticed streaming off the web. Will consider adjusting that for this format.

Yeah it's a little dry. Making a few adjustments here, next mix might be a bit "wetter". just a drop.

I had a different bass line at the end when I tracked the vocals. It was this weird chromatic 16th note walking thing. Way too busy. Tempted to retrack the last bit of vocals as I think I would approach it a little differently, but my sinuses are completely clear now, LMAO, I don't have that same head voice at the moment.

This was a blast to put together. Thank you for the listen.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
VikingGuitar

I agree with Swamp Ape. For the intended atmosphere, it's a little dry and up-front. Additionally, I think the vocals are louder than they should be, and especially need some verb or space to them.

Now that the criticism is out of the way, let me say that this is an AMAZING track. Very incredibly effective emotion/atmosphere. Your voice is PERFECT for this type of music, and the performance (on all instruments) is impeccable. Honestly, with just a bit of sonic space/diffusion, this would sound absolutely studio grade (or better!) Exceptional job.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
karbomusic

Cool tune

Quote:
"Alien Sex Roadkill"
Fixed that for ya.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote