Old 08-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #1
XoechZ
Human being with feelings

Default Native Plugins confusion

Hello!

I have successfully switched from Windows 10 to Linux Mint 20.

I have installed everything necessary (LowLatencyKernel, Drivers) and Reaper 6.13. Everything was easy and worked like a charm, which is very cool for a Linux noob like me.

But now I want some plugins. I decided to test some Linux Native plugins in Reaper. And now the confusion:

I downloaded the Dragonfly Reverb, which is a .lv2 plugin. Put it in my plugins folder and it worked. Then downloaded another .lv2 plugin, put it in the plugins folder and it did NOT work. Reaper does not even see the plugin.

Same with .so plugins. I downloaded the GVST plugins for Linux which are in .so format, put them in the plugins folder and they work. Downloaded another .so plugin, and guess what: does NOT work. Reaper again does not even see the plugin.

This is very confusing for me. How can I know which .lv2 and .so plugins work in Reaper and which do not? I have no clue.

Please help!
XoechZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
biopsin

Hi,
well it happens now and then some plugins have dependencies on libraries not mentioned by developer. You can run Reaper from a terminal and do a clean/rescan of plugins db and see if any error messages pop up.
Did not know Reaper supported native lv2's know, guess I'm falling behind..
You should mention those plugins that don't show up for reference purpose.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoechZ View Post
Hello!

I have successfully switched from Windows 10 to Linux Mint 20.

I have installed everything necessary (LowLatencyKernel, Drivers) and Reaper 6.13. Everything was easy and worked like a charm, which is very cool for a Linux noob like me.

But now I want some plugins. I decided to test some Linux Native plugins in Reaper. And now the confusion:

I downloaded the Dragonfly Reverb, which is a .lv2 plugin. Put it in my plugins folder and it worked. Then downloaded another .lv2 plugin, put it in the plugins folder and it did NOT work. Reaper does not even see the plugin.

Same with .so plugins. I downloaded the GVST plugins for Linux which are in .so format, put them in the plugins folder and they work. Downloaded another .so plugin, and guess what: does NOT work. Reaper again does not even see the plugin.

This is very confusing for me. How can I know which .lv2 and .so plugins work in Reaper and which do not? I have no clue.

Please help!
REAPER doesn't support lv2 plugins. It supports native Linux VST/VSTi plugins and JS plugins. Here's a couple of links with a lot of Linux plugins, but make sure you get the VSTs for Linux.

https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins

http://linux-sound.org/linux-vst-plugins.html
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
XoechZ

Quote:
REAPER doesn't support lv2 plugins
But the Dragonfly Reverb is lv2 and it works.

Quote:
well it happens now and then some plugins have dependencies on libraries not mentioned by developer
Makes sense, but does this make the plugin invisible for Reaper?

Maybe I am still too much "Windows 10 thinking" where you could simply put all your plugins in your plugin folder and Reaper saw them on the next program start.

The .so plugin that did not work was RoughRider3 from Audio Damage.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #5
JamesPeters

Dragonfly is also Linux VST. Chances are you just put both versions in there without realizing, or specifically the Linux VST.

Rough Rider 3 works for me. I'm using Linux Mint 20 as well. Perhaps you don't have one of the dependencies it requires. I'm still a bit surprised though because I don't think I had to do anything for it to work.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
But the Dragonfly Reverb is lv2 and it works.

Maybe I am still too much "Windows 10 thinking" where you could simply put all your plugins in your plugin folder and Reaper saw them on the next program start.

The .so plugin that did not work was RoughRider3 from Audio Damage.
I think you got lucky and the Dragonfly verb had both lv2 and VST versions, because REAPER for Linux absolutely does not support lv2.

As for native Linux VST/VSTi plugins, they are just like Windows, where you chunk the .so files (equivalent to .dlls in Windows) into your .vst or .vst3 folder, and REAPER finds them on the next launch.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
XoechZ

Thanks for all your answers so far.

Quote:
Rough Rider 3 works for me. I'm using Linux Mint 20 as well. Perhaps you don't have one of the dependencies it requires.
Sorry, I am really a Linux noob, working on it just a few days. So, please, how can I find out which dependencies I am missing?
It simply does not show up in Reapers FX list. So how can I know?
Old 08-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Tobbe

Hi,

I have all my .so files in /home/tobbe/.vst folder. With that dot (.) before vst it means that the folder is hidden. To see it you click Ctrl+H when you are in filemanager (Thunar). In Reaper you go to Options/Preferences/Plug-ins/VST and make sure you have /home/username/.vst there. Hit the Clear cache/re-scan and see if all so files flashing by. If so you should see everyone in the FX list.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
Hi,
well it happens now and then some plugins have dependencies on libraries not mentioned by developer.
This sometimes seems to happen on Windows, as well, regarding a bunch of Bug reports in the other forums.
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-30-2020 at 02:14 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:09 AM   #10
PMan

Quote:
Thanks for all your answers so far.

Sorry, I am really a Linux noob, working on it just a few days. So, please, how can I find out which dependencies I am missing?
It simply does not show up in Reapers FX list. So how can I know?
You can test for missing dependencies by opening... the dreaded Linux terminal window

Seriously, open a terminal window, type: cd .vst then hit Enter. That sets your Current Directory to .vst. Then type ldd RoughRider3.so and hit Enter. You will get a VERY long list of dependencies, and you want to look for 1 or more lines that start with "error". Those will identify the missing dependencies.

Since I'm running Ubuntu, when I encounter a missing dependency, I google "Ubuntu install (whatever the the missing dependency is)" (without the double quotes), and I can usually find how to install is. For example, if I was missing libGLX.so (it's one of the dependencies for RoughRider3) I would google "ubuntu install libglx.so" (again, without the double quotes).

You should be able to find simple instructions for how to install missing dependencies on Linux Mint 20.

...Or, some of the helpful forum members who run Linux Mint 20 can give you instructions.

At first this stuff seems like mad science, but after you do it a few times, it becomes pretty straight forward.

Good luck, and welcome to Linux!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #11
XoechZ

Quote:
Seriously, open a terminal window, type: cd .vst then hit Enter. That sets your Current Directory to .vst. Then type ldd RoughRider3.so and hit Enter. You will get a VERY long list of dependencies, and you want to look for 1 or more lines that start with "error". Those will identify the missing dependencies.
Thank you PMan, that helps a lot !!!!
Old 08-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
JamesPeters

From there: to determine what package you need to install for a missing dependency (since the dependencies will be listed as files and not packages, but you actually need to know the name of a package you'd install), I'd use https://pkgs.org and search for the specific dependency and pick from the list below (for the specific distro name/version). At that point you need to decide if you want to install that package by downloading the .deb file from there, or by using whatever method you'd normally do (apt command in terminal, or Synaptic, etc.) I'd recommend trying to add the package from terminal or Synaptic first.

A lot of times the package you need will be part of the file name, but it's worth checking at that site if you aren't sure.

Some of this will still be confusing. It takes a while to get a bit of basic knowledge of what you're doing in Linux, why certain things are done certain ways. It's definitely different from Windows. I don't know the reasons you switched to Linux, and I don't want to discourage you from using it. Just be aware that you might have to be referring to a number of "Linux sites" for information from time to time. And be thankful you chose a distro which is more "newb friendly".

Anyway someone else mentioned a possible missing dependency for the latest Dragonfly 3.2.1, although his distro is out of date. Maybe Dragonfly 3.2.1 requires some dependencies that even current LTS distros don't have by default. The fact that I have those dependencies on my Mint install (I just added Dragonfly 3.2.1 and Reaper found it) could mean that I had already installed those dependencies for other software (other VSTs, who knows). I'll mention this possibility to the developer.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #13
royleith

I started with Reaper for Windows running in Ubuntu Studio with the low latency kernel and wine, and dual booted with Kubuntu as my day-to-day distribution. This worked well, but the number of Windows plugins that can be installed successfully in wine is limited.

When I started Linux Reaper I installed it in Kubuntu with its stock kernel. I resigned myself to using just the excellent stock plugins because I could not add native Linux VST plugins to the list. However, it worked so well that I deleted the Ubuntu Studio installation and just used the Kubuntu install, instead. I keep a couple of Windows systems for when I want to use Waves and Native Instruments plugins.

To run Reaper in wine I had to go to kxstudio for wineasio. That's where I found Carla which is a rack system rather like Native Instruments Kontact racks, but able to add chains of plugins of all sorts. Now that Linux Reaper scans native Linux VSTs you can add the Carla VST to your Reaper plugins and use the rack to add Carla supported plugins, especially those that will not scan directly into the Reaper plugins list. The Youlean LUFS tool is at the end of my Master Bus plugin chain as a singleton plugin in a Carla rack.

Carla is the only way I have managed to use Stillwell Audio's Bombardier and Vibe EQ which are Windows-only, but will install in Wine.

Carla also provides a Patchbay VST whereby you can choose how to interconnect the loaded plugins. I have had problems using this with jack on Kubuntu. It is not really needed with Reaper and jack.

Carla supports a wide range of plugin types including native Linux VSTs, VST3s VSTis, Windows VSTs, VST3s and VSTis installed in wine (many Windows plugins will not install in Wine), LV2s, DSSI. and LADSPA. Almost all of the good native plugins are VST/3/i or have been ported to VST by kx studio.

Mint is based on Ubuntu and Debian and you can use the sequence of commands for adding kxstudio repositories from the following URL. I just select each command, click in Terminal (the Linux text-based command window) and click the scroll wheel button to paste the command into Terminal.

https://kx.studio/Repositories.

Once this is done, just search for VST in your package manager and you will find carla and a cornucopia of other plugins, some of which are real stunners.

I don't recommend Kubuntu for Reaper as I have had real problems getting it to run jack reliably (or, at all in previous versions). Ubuntu Studio was my go-to distribution for studio stuff, but I have grown too attached to the KDE environment.
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by royleith View Post
When I started Linux Reaper I installed it in Kubuntu with its stock kernel. I resigned myself to using just the excellent stock plugins because I could not add native Linux VST plugins to the list.
I've used several distros including Kubuntu in the last 2 years, and have had no problem using Linux VST plugins in any of them with any kernel I chose.

There have been some notable exceptions that others have mentioned, such as when a developer makes a plugin based on dependencies of more current distros. I haven't had that problem though since I use current distros, not ones from a few years ago.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #15
PMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by royleith View Post
I resigned myself to using just the excellent stock plugins because I could not add native Linux VST plugins to the list. However, it worked so well that I deleted the Ubuntu Studio installation and just used the Kubuntu install, instead. I keep a couple of Windows systems for when I want to use Waves and Native Instruments plugins.
Just curious, when you say "I could not add native Linux VST plugins to the list", do you mean: when you add the your-favorite-plugin.so file to the .vst directory, the plugin doesn't show up in reaper's list of plugins?
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote