Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Down to one Windows machine now

I finally got ballsy and installed Xubuntu on my Asus Transformer tablet with detachable keyboard/mouse.

If you ever try installing Linux on an Intel Bay Trail, you will need to make a customized install boot media with hand copied files, because the Bay Trail processors boot 32 bit EFI and then switch to 64 bit for the OS. It took me five failed attempts, each time getting a little farther, but it finally works today.

Only have a Windows 8.1 tablet remaining, which also has a Bay Trail processor, but now I have install media that will work on it when I get motivated to do it. The Transformer is a LOT faster running Xubuntu than it was running Windows 8.1, and only the camera doesn't work, but I have black tape over it anyway.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I finally got ballsy and installed Xubuntu on my Asus Transformer tablet with detachable keyboard/mouse.

If you ever try installing Linux on an Intel Bay Trail, you will need to make a customized install boot media with hand copied files, because the Bay Trail processors boot 32 bit EFI and then switch to 64 bit for the OS. It took me five failed attempts, each time getting a little farther, but it finally works today.

Only have a Windows 8.1 tablet remaining, which also has a Bay Trail processor, but now I have install media that will work on it when I get motivated to do it. The Transformer is a LOT faster running Xubuntu than it was running Windows 8.1, and only the camera doesn't work, but I have black tape over it anyway.
Some 8.0 and 8.1 preloaded machines have a 'capacitor' battery making it almost impossible to get win off the mobo. (use the old short trick with a paperclip) then the bios is totally wiped and loading Linux is possible - I am not a fan of Win 8 anyway... And Kudos to getting down to 1 machine. I am about to attach a windows machine to a Linux machin as a nas just for kicks - just in in case i ever need a win doc (forbid) great to hear Glennbo!!!
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Some 8.0 and 8.1 preloaded machines have a 'capacitor' battery making it almost impossible to get win off the mobo. (use the old short trick with a paperclip) then the bios is totally wiped and loading Linux is possible - I am not a fan of Win 8 anyway... And Kudos to getting down to 1 machine. I am about to attach a windows machine to a Linux machin as a nas just for kicks - just in in case i ever need a win doc (forbid) great to hear Glennbo!!!
Thanks S_wave. It was a motherf#$%er getting Linux on that Transformer tablet, but man it sure performs WAY better than it ever did with Windows 8.1 on it. Boot time is faster, and connection to the LAN is 100 times faster, where it's ready to go somewhere on the net the second the desktop is up.

First I had to disable Secure Boot. Then when that didn't work by itself (but is still a needed step), I installed the latest bios, which made Windows Bit Locker totally hate the Windows 8.1 install, so I virginized the machine and Windows was happy again after 97 update downloads and an hour of waiting to try my next move to get Linux installed. While I was waiting for Windows, I found an article that outlined how the Bay Trail series of processors boot 32 bit EFI, but can then finish the boot 64 bit.

I had to track down from an older 32 bit Xubuntu DVD the 32 bit grub files, and also find a copy of bootia32.efi to make the install flash drive boot. Those last two things finally tipped the scales in my favor and Xubuntu booted from flash and installed.

Once I switch the last Windows 8.1 tablet over to Xubuntu, I'll have three desktop machines and two tablets all running Xubuntu, plus two Raspberry Pi's running the xfce desktop on Raspbian Buster as my HDTV clients in the living room and my studio, so seven Linux based machines and zero Windows machines is what I'll end up with.

One more thing. If any of you try to run Firefox on a touch screen in Linux, you might need to start it up with this command. I did, and it works perfectly with my touchscreen now.

env MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1 firefox

-

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-24-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote