Old 10-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
boreg
Human being with feelings

Default NaiveLPF crashes Reaper

My new PC developed a strange problem: instantiating the NaiveLPF VST plugin crashes Reaper; application window remains visible and cannot be killed, requiring a full restart of the system. Stranger still, the same plugin runs fine as a dedicated process. Any ideas as to what can be causing this?

Configuration: 32-bit Reaper on 64-bit Windows 7 (Intel i7-2600K @3.4GHz, 8GB RAM)
boreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
boreg

Sorry for the bump, but now there's an additional problem.

I've set NaiveLPF to run in a dedicated process, but upon loading, it now crashes the reaper_host process. If I set the plugin to "offline" and then load it back again, it works fine. Loading directly into Reaper still crashes and hangs, as described in the OP. Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Mr. Data

Probably the plug is the culprit, I'd say. Remember, it's a pre-version and still in testing state.

Why not use another plug until a final or at least the next pre-version is available?

Maybe you should also consider to contact them to inform them, that it doesn't run with Reaper.

-Data
Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
boreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Why not use another plug until a final or at least the next pre-version is available?
Because it's free and sounds damn good

Quote:
Maybe you should also consider to contact them to inform them, that it doesn't run with Reaper.
I think if it didn't work in Reaper at all, I wouldn't be the first to discover it. Must be something in my configuration. Also, I seem to remember it working flawlessly before, so something must have changed, and I've no idea what...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Mr. Data

Those are the things viruses do.

-Data
Old 02-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
boreg

Following your advice I ran a full virus scan of my PC - nada, all clean.

I did however manage to pinpoint the problem: it only occurs if I run Reaper normally; if I select "Run as Administrator", then everything's fine. So the culprit is the combination of Reaper, NaiveLPF and Windows 7 UAC. I tried sniffing with Process Monitor to see what exactly goes wrong (some file/registry access, possibly) but couldn't find anything. Well, at least I have a workaround now!