Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #1
alextone
Human being with feelings

Default Alex dumb midi learning thread

Rather than infest the midi forum with one post after another, i'll stick my dumb questions here, as they come up. (I've been away for a while, and catching up on reaper's latest version)

1. When inputting notes either by recording, or step input, i get instant response. However, during playback, for a selected track, that track "lags", in relation to other tracks. When i deselect that track, it all comes good again. Is there another trick to this, to have a selected track play in sync with other tracks? (This project is only midi at this stage, the audio is routed outside of reaper.)

2. I record a midi track using the metronome, all good for the first recording. When i record in the next track (which is of course selected), the metronome lags noticably behind the first track timing. This seems related to the first question in some way, but i don't know why. Some sort of live versus playback latency challenge? Is there some method or action that compensates for this?

Solved.
When the track is record armed, it introduces a degree of latency. Unrecord-arm returns the timing to normal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Use case. I open an item with 16channels of midi. Using shortcuts, i switch from channel to channel inputting notes. When i switch channels, the notes from other channels vanish.

Is there a way to have all channels visible, with the "active" channel in full colour, and editable, but the notes in the other channels still visible, as "ghosted"? (Good for an overview, and sorting out harmonies/chords/cadences, etc)

Last edited by alextone; 04-25-2014 at 05:59 AM.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Arnerd
Human being with feelings

Default VST noob looking for windows host?

Hey guys
Im just getting into VST plugins, I was planning on waiting till I switched to Mac, but that can take a while according to my budget.

Im looking for software wich can host VST plugins, wich i want connected with DJ software Traktor. Preferable something i can run on iPad.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Arnerd is offline   Reply With Quote