Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Jazzooka
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper & dubbing video on MP 5,1 : setup questions

Hi

I have an upcoming session with 4 singers dubbing on a cartoon at the studio

Even though we have next to no experience recording to picture, clients insisted on doing it at our place based on feedback, and I have a few questions

Setup is Mac Pro 5,1 - 12core 3.33, 20 GB Ram, OS X Sierra latest build, Reaper latest build, Metric Halo ULN-8 & 2882 3D

I intend to put an older Apple Cinema Display in the live room and pass a cable from the machine room to the live room

- How do I output the movie file from Reaper to an external screen?
- Any particular settings in Reaper need to be activated or tweaked?
- As it is not lip synced singing, a bit of latency is ok, but how much latency can I expect going out of Reaper (no virtual instruments, effects or other processing except the video out and 4 track recording)
- Planned on getting either a DVI or MiniDisplay to HDMI cable going from computer room to live room screen, 20-30 feet long, any restrictions in length? do I need an extender or one of those Ethernet to HDMI distributor boxes?
- Any experiences to share/pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks for any info

Best

Nico
Old 10-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Jazzooka

Anybody? Info would be still much appreciated

Thanks

Nico
Old 10-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
tdc

Hi Nico,

Whilst I am a newbie with Reaper for Post, I have done many sessions just like this with PT.

Simply connecting another monitor to your mac and turning off mirroring will allow this. You will need to do tests to find the best resolution/refresh rate foryour chosen monitor.

Not sure, but I suspect absolutely yes!

- As it is not lip synced singing, a bit of latency is ok, but how much latency can I expect going out of Reaper (no virtual instruments, effects or other processing except the video out and 4 track recording)
Using a computer monitor for this will always induce some latency. The trick is to create something like this file Test Sync.mov. It has pips and fullscreen white flashes. I often use it in conjunction with a cheap little iphone app called "CatchinSync", it allows you to see how many frames youre out

- Planned on getting either a DVI or MiniDisplay to HDMI cable going from computer room to live room screen, 20-30 feet long, any restrictions in length? do I need an extender or one of those Ethernet to HDMI distributor boxes?
I have scars all over soul from extension cables :-). HDMI will be your best bet for that iMac, and you will get longer runs and more stability the lower the resolution you drive it at. Make sure you talk to the place you buy the cable from, as its highly likely it wont work first go...

Prepare this setup weeks in advance, and run test and tests, and more tests. What you wish to achieve is completely achievable, but it will require diligence and patience.

Best of luck.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Jazzooka

Hi TDC,

For a newbie, you're very helpful, thanks !

Somehow I didn't get forum notification of this reply so only found out now

In the end session had to be rescheduled but it is good to know for future reference

Useful info, thanks again

Best

Nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Hi Nico,

Whilst I am a newbie with Reaper for Post, I have done many sessions just like this with PT.

Simply connecting another monitor to your mac and turning off mirroring will allow this. You will need to do tests to find the best resolution/refresh rate foryour chosen monitor.

Not sure, but I suspect absolutely yes!

Using a computer monitor for this will always induce some latency. The trick is to create something like this file Test Sync.mov. It has pips and fullscreen white flashes. I often use it in conjunction with a cheap little iphone app called "CatchinSync", it allows you to see how many frames youre out

I have scars all over soul from extension cables :-). HDMI will be your best bet for that iMac, and you will get longer runs and more stability the lower the resolution you drive it at. Make sure you talk to the place you buy the cable from, as its highly likely it wont work first go...

Prepare this setup weeks in advance, and run test and tests, and more tests. What you wish to achieve is completely achievable, but it will require diligence and patience.

Best of luck.