Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-03-2022, 04:31 AM   #1
JamesBlast
Human being with feelings

Default Raspberry pi as audio transceiver

Hi! Long time windows user , never used the linux version, has anyone used a raspberry pi as a monitoring/wireless mic 2in 1 solution? I need one for proper low latency VR audio solution as I use reaper and Odeus asio link to route all my windows audio into different streams and drivers.
I am aiming for 20-25ms(network) latency using something like reastream or sonobus as a vst.Also any suggestion for a 6-8ms latency capable interface for the pi?
Thank you all in advance ^^
JamesBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:30 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBlast View Post
Hi! Long time windows user , never used the linux version, has anyone used a raspberry pi as a monitoring/wireless mic 2in 1 solution? I need one for proper low latency VR audio solution as I use reaper and Odeus asio link to route all my windows audio into different streams and drivers.
I am aiming for 20-25ms(network) latency using something like reastream or sonobus as a vst.Also any suggestion for a 6-8ms latency capable interface for the pi?
Thank you all in advance ^^
I've never used my 4GB Pi4 with any wireless stuff, but I recently bought a Behringer UMC204HD specifically for use with it, and am running it with the same low latency I get with my Ryzen 3700X based DAW running Manjaro Linux and using the UMC1820/ADA8200 combo, which is 24/48 @ 64 samples latency in REAPER.

The latency is low enough to play and monitor through REAPER, so virtual guitar amps with guitars and basses feel tight. Reaper reports 1.3/2.6ms, but of course there is always unreported hidden latency too. On my desktop I've measured it with a loopback cable to be right at 8ms. I have not measured the Pi4, but it feels about the same. Last comment, I do have my Pi4 slightly overclocked, but in a solid aluminum heatsink case.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #3
DuX

I don't think you can get low latency audio with wi-fi connection, only wired LAN and even that depends on the quality of LAN card a lot.

Wow Glennbo, that's some really great info. Behringer UMC204HD running on Pi4 at such low latency. I might reconsider buying Pi4.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I don't think you can get low latency audio with wi-fi connection, only wired LAN and even that depends on the quality of LAN card a lot.

Wow Glennbo, that's some really great info. Behringer UMC204HD running on Pi4 at such low latency. I might reconsider buying Pi4.
This is my Pi4 setup. I've got it booting from and using the Samsung SSD for all storage including recording audio from REAPER.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/54/img...205_812212.jpg

All of it can also be run off of my homebrew solar generator

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/05/img...205_812770.jpg

(everything on the table is powered by solar), so I could use it in places where there is no AC power available.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:50 AM   #5
JamesBlast

Quote:

Even with wifi 6? keep in mind that I am not asking for sub 10 ms on the network side as my VR headset reports around 25-40ms latency on average
Old 06-04-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
cyrano

25 msec might be possible with Wifi 6. I've never tried it.

The BIG difference however, is your environment. If you plan to use it on stage, live, I wouldn't even bother trying, as it will break somewhere, some day.

If you only plan to use it in your (home) studio it could be worth a try, if you're not in an area with lots of other Wifi networks, cell phones and other wireless stuff.

IOW, if you can use wired ethernet you will avoid all those problems.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:38 AM   #7
JamesBlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
25 msec might be possible with Wifi 6. I've never tried it.

The BIG difference however, is your environment. If you plan to use it on stage, live, I wouldn't even bother trying, as it will break somewhere, some day.

If you only plan to use it in your (home) studio it could be worth a try, if you're not in an area with lots of other Wifi networks, cell phones and other wireless stuff.

IOW, if you can use wired ethernet you will avoid all those problems.
Again it's just so I can hookup into my already existing Virtual Reality setup, in my home studio within 10m of a wifi 6 router , so interference and stability are almost a none issue , the problem I have is that none of the software audio streaming solution are satisfying enough when using multiple wdm drivers and wdm/asio bridging through oDEus or voicemeeter. The idea is to use a Pi as a wireless transceiver to keep weight and power consumption to a minimum as it will be strapped to a VR headset (and needs to be wireless).
As long as I can get around 25ms latency with reastream I am goated, has anyone ever managed to get to such values wirelessly?
Old 06-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #8
maxdembo

Quote:
I might reconsider buying Pi4.
For low latency, I was really surprised. Im not using my RPi much atm but got Win10 running on it after getting way too confused by Linux, trying to get BFD working on it.

But yeah, BFD on an RPi 4, 8gb. Very good overclockers too, mine running at totally stable 2.3ghz with low latency on my interface or mixer.

Very recommended if you find one for a decent price atm. Bit hard to come by.

Last edited by maxdembo; 06-05-2022 at 07:30 AM.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:57 AM   #9
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBlast View Post
Again it's just so I can hookup into my already existing Virtual Reality setup, in my home studio within 10m of a wifi 6 router , so interference and stability are almost a none issue , the problem I have is that none of the software audio streaming solution are satisfying enough when using multiple wdm drivers and wdm/asio bridging through oDEus or voicemeeter. The idea is to use a Pi as a wireless transceiver to keep weight and power consumption to a minimum as it will be strapped to a VR headset (and needs to be wireless).
As long as I can get around 25ms latency with reastream I am goated, has anyone ever managed to get to such values wirelessly?
CME are working on wireless audio atm, low latency. https://www.cme-pro.com/
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote