Old 02-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #41
Flebbo
Human being with feelings

Yeah, I liked it in gray as it was in the beginning...
Flebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #42
Shramm

errr... guys, actually i attached last pic to show how buttons fit... i know that background color gradient in this case looks quite mismatching, but i don't think that i'll reach full similarity to original concept. thank you all anyway
Shramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #43
Curvespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shramm View Post
errr... guys, actually i attached last pic to show how buttons fit... i know that background color gradient in this case looks quite mismatching, but i don't think that i'll reach full similarity to original concept. thank you all anyway
Phew. A rare occasion where my stupidity was preferable to the alternative

I think we all realise that you wont be able to complete the theme as it was in your original image, but anything even close to it will be sweet...gotta say, those transport buttons are probably the nicest I've ever seen. Have you considered using the same styling for the buttons in the top left?
Curvespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #44
Igr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedead13 View Post
you should put the thin VU in the track view and put the wide VU in the mixer view. just my opinion.

+1. And don't forget please, that VU meter should show LEFT and RIGHT peaks separately.

Last edited by Igr0; 02-21-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Igr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #45
flight

What an insanely great theme! You should give up sleep until it's finished...! Seriously, great looking theme idea.

f
flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #46
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvespace View Post
gotta say, those transport buttons are probably the nicest I've ever seen. Have you considered using the same styling for the buttons in the top left?
why not? i just think that these upper icons need to be elaborated, 'cos not all of them looking same-styled (for example, metronome icon looks awful IMO).

Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #47
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igr0 View Post
+1. And don't forget please, that VU meter should show LEFT and RIGHT peaks separately.
you're right. somthin' like this?

or this?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #48
Shramm

btw, i thought that in 1st variation a GANG button cry out to be appeared. maybe there's not so many cases that requires to control track levels separately, but this ability maybe useful i think.

Last edited by Shramm; 02-22-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:19 AM   #49
Igr0

Old 02-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #50
Igr0

Quote:
you're right. somthin' like this?

or this?

Second is better. Cool! IMO
Old 02-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #51
moss

+1 for the second!
moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #52
ed209

I would say that the author is playing mindgames with you! of course you'll choose the second! -it's the one without the crapper!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #53
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
I would say that the author is playing mindgames with you! of course you'll choose the second! -it's the one without the crapper!
i swear i'm NOT idling. when i tried on both stereo VU's concepts i wasn't able to decide what's better. really-really.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #54
Zargon the Destroyer

Shramm,

do you actually intend to 'release' a theme that will work with the current theme set-up, or is this stuff more about ideas for the future?

Your theme ideas are great, but are they not (excuse my ignorance, I'm not graphics guru) of rather higher quality (in terms of definition) than current Reaper themes?

If so, I wonder how your theme would look with pixelated edges etc...
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #55
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargon the Destroyer View Post
do you actually intend to 'release' a theme that will work with the current theme set-up, or is this stuff more about ideas for the future?
both release and ideas for the future (why not? ).

Quote:
Your theme ideas are great, but are they not (excuse my ignorance, I'm not graphics guru) of rather higher quality (in terms of definition) than current Reaper themes?
actually - yes, 'cos it's made in vector editor, where picture is not depend on scale and size:

Quote:
If so, I wonder how your theme would look with pixelated edges etc...
pixelated egdes is not the biggest problem, i think. there are many examples of interfaces (DAWs, plugins etc.) where this problem solved quite succesfully, though its elements (buttons, sliders, environment etc.etc.) was originally made of higher quality source than resulting gui.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #56
Zargon the Destroyer

Woah, good answer! Interesting stuff, thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #57
labyrinth

Default Regardless- This needs to be available

It's an awesome concept, don't get me wrong, but the theme in general would really rock. I like very original themes- things that make people want to switch to Reaper (graphics alone).
+1 For the theme

++1 For the concept of the better graphics for Reaper!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #58
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
I like very original themes - things that make people want to switch to Reaper (graphics alone).
to be honest, this is ALMOST the main reason that stops me to fully switch to reaper (for now i working in ableton live). but i hope that changes will come however. i'll be glad if at least little part of my idea will help to make reaper looks better.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #59
labyrinth

Default Does it Compare?

The mixing, routing, fx? Really, I have only played with a demo of Live that came with my Emu 1212m interface (nice, by the way).

Let me know, I have always wondered. Also, are you using the newest version (7)? Limeflavour created an Ableton Live 6 mock: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/69/lf_r...ife%202.1b.rar - does this help?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #60
Shramm

Quote:
The mixing, routing, fx? Really, I have only played with a demo of Live that came with my Emu 1212m interface (nice, by the way).

Let me know, I have always wondered. Also, are you using the newest version (7)? Limeflavour created an Ableton Live 6 mock: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/69/lf_r...ife%202.1b.rar - does this help?
i think no for now )))) thanxgod ableton is ableton, reaper is reaper.

btw, my friend marker (besides, he is the 2nd '1shot' member) is a big fan of reaper.

for now i use ableton 7 yet (you can visit our site www.1shot.info or http://www.myspace.com/oneshotbreaks and listen music samples, almost all tracks was made IN ableton, or with PARTICIPATION of it).

though abl considered as acknowledged DAW, it has a list of little (but annoying) bugs. i hope reaper will become my next (and i hope - the last) DAW i'm bored to search ideal sequencer, but reaper seems to be it rather soon.

Last edited by Shramm; 02-22-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #61
mysteryman

Quote:
It's an awesome concept, don't get me wrong, but the theme in general would really rock. I like very original themes- things that make people want to switch to Reaper (graphics alone).
+1 For the theme

++1 For the concept of the better graphics for Reaper!
I hope this theme doesn't get lost in minutia and rhetoric about "better graphics"
This particular theme is clearly superior, regardless of graphic nuances.
We need this theme to happen!

Last edited by mysteryman; 02-23-2008 at 03:11 AM.
mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:10 AM   #62
acileli

I second that notion
acileli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #63
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
I hope this theme doesn't get lost in minutia and rhetoric about "better graphics"
This particular theme is clearly superior, regardless of graphic nuances.
We need this theme to happen!
i'm working on it (not so fast as i'd like it to be), but it looks awful yet:

of 'cos it's necessary to arrange buttons, sliders etc. compactly, but here it looks TOO close, to the prejudice of visual comfort

Last edited by Shramm; 02-23-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #64
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:
but it looks awful yet
It certainly looks heavily compromised.

Still, it's totally cool of you to be putting all this hard work in!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:51 AM   #65
Shramm

Quote:
It certainly looks heavily compromised.
quite agree, i think that compromise almost always worse than one of specific variations.

Quote:
Still, it's totally cool of you to be putting all this hard work in!
thanx , just too much another type of work.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #66
S-N-S

damn have been away on vacation,damn thats a great theme,will you release it??

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #67
Shramm

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-S View Post
damn have been away on vacation,damn thats a great theme,will you release it??
i'll try
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #68
S-N-S

Quote:
i'll try

i really hope you will

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #69
larrygates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
oh, come on! once you fix the edges and fix the name-thingie with the white and the black it'll be totally sweet! and don't forget the RIGHT grey for the tcp!
you are doing a kick-ass job!
No the author of the theme is right, in it's locked Reaper form, it sucks. Wait till Justin changes the way things are handled before the author makes his theme that opened up everyone's eyes. Imagine this theme with the windows Brice came up with. It's time to move this program out of Rock Band land, and put it into the hands of I don't know, other users than Live / Rock / I don't give a shit what kind of music you make people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedead13 View Post
you should put the thin VU in the track view and put the wide VU in the mixer view. just my opinion.

also, i think it looks great fit into the existing elements order. just change the background and it's excellent.
Think the author of the theme knows what he's looking for. We should be happy and leave his creation alone until we have it. It's perfect in it's state, the only good idea has been the VU in the Fader, Genius. Other than that let him force the dev to make the program do what he needs to make this new default theme (that dare I say, smokes everyone else's theme's) Only Plastic is even close to this one.

Quote:
i tried to fit this theme to existing elements order, but it looks worse IMHO. just look:

Dude, you know what you're talking about, the present Reaper form sucks for what you're doing, just wait, Justin will change it for what you've done. Enough people already like it. Patience, because I won't use a crap half way thing now that I know what you really intended. The rest of us should be as patient. Why take half of what this theme really is. It's retarded to do otherwise.

Quote:
Many of the ideas here are very usable in vs 2. You will need backgrounds that fit both the tcp and mcp and I second the request of using the wider meter on the mixer view. As far as meters behind the fader- it can block things at times, but it's a very cool concept (reminds me of Logic Pro).

+1 on this as a new (usable theme)
Please let the author make the theme the way he saw it. I'm sure all of your themes, and theme ideas suck royally in comparison to this. Let him do it the way it was first posted only with the VU in fader, genius idea. Other than that, no one is on this theme level yet. When this is made, I'm sure others will top this, but no one is close at all. So leave the guy to his theme. The best theme on this entire site hands down or up or whatever way anally retentive people need their hands to not correct what I'm saying.
larrygates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #70
larrygates

Quote:
i'm working on it (not so fast as i'd like it to be), but it looks awful yet:

of 'cos it's necessary to arrange buttons, sliders etc. compactly, but here it looks TOO close, to the prejudice of visual comfort
Shramm I don't think it's worth your work, or your perfect idea to compromise this theme at all. Let the people who think they need this theme in Reaper's present form just deal with it. This is not good people. It sucks in regards to what he has put together.

I wouldn't put out the theme until Justin makes your exact theme possible. Otherwise, it's going to be a bad theme that will be used by some, until someone else makes a better theme.

You're not missing anything by waiting on the program to change to you. No one else will be missing a compromised theme either. Abandon ship, v. 2 of Reaper is not ready for you.

I have no problem waiting on your theme to become a reality.

Abort all efforts and wait for everyone to catch up to you. You've proven you're ahead of the pack in regards to what a theme should be. Blatantly proven. No one can argue that at all. If they do they are wasting hand motions
Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #71
Curvespace

Would it even be possible to have a skinning system capable of accommodating any theme ideas the user wishes? I mean, surely there must be some rigidness and limitation otherwise you're getting into stuff at a code/scripting level? No?

Shramm's theme is awesome, I'd be willing to try it in whatever state he finishes it, regardless of limitations. Some aspects of it may need to be reworked to reduce the current problems, but many other sections will look great I think.

If nothing else it has shown how good Reaper could (and should?) look and along with Brices previous ideas, has offered Justin and his crew some cool ideas on where to take things.
Curvespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #72
larrygates

Quote:
btw, i thought that in 1st variation a GANG button cry out to be appeared. maybe there's not so many cases that requires to control track levels separately, but this ability maybe useful i think.
Shramm you know what you're doing. I would say the 2 separate VU's would be better for multiple mono where we can control independent channels directly from the mixer, no plug in needed.

Geez, you've set the bar . . . no you've removed the bar.

Fuck the bar, there's no point in competing until you get to skin the interface exactly how you see it.

I'm in the waiting side of this theme. I can wait it out.

Don't do the compromised one, it's not worth your time, this theme looks uber pro.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:07 AM   #73
ed209

ah, it's like going into an arena to face doom, this time personified by mr.larrygates

nah, kidding. I do agree since the first real screen of the work in progress was not much fun. however I do think theming can be taken further than already has even within the boundaries we're given. take this theme, it won't look like the first screen for sure, but maybe out of the compromises turn into something equally nice?

well, mr.shramm of course you do as you wish. you seem to have the talent and the vision, great to have you here and looking forward to your work(s)!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #74
gregh

i agree with larry on this one - esp the bit that says

"It's time to move this program out of Rock Band land, and put it into the hands of I don't know, other users than Live / Rock / I don't give a shit what kind of music you make people."

Reaper has some great functionality, but it really needs a specialist someone to fix up the interaction design, and some input from post-production types to help build a more sophisticated editing environment. J&C are really talented - but they can't think of everything.
gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #75
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
Reaper has some great functionality, but it really needs a specialist someone to fix up the interaction design, and some input from post-production types to help build a more sophisticated editing environment. J&C are really talented - but they can't think of everything.
I've said this for a while - the danger (more of an inevitability) of Cockos' bolt-on design angle is that you end up with a mess.

It's like designing a car by first building an engine, then screwing a bonnet (hood) to the top, then gluing a windscreen to the back of the bonnet, then trying to wedge an axle under the engine etc. You end up with something that might function, but nobody is going to trade their VW in for.

Surely at some point Reaper needs have the entire interface stripped from the functionality and then be given a decent, integrated, attractive overall look/feel.

While it's fun to have the possibility of skins, it is to some extent a cop-out.

"Hey guys, if you don't like it you can always change it...a bit. Not too much. The shapes and colours mostly..."

I vote for a rethink and at least one really, good, really well designed GUI.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #76
Shramm

thanx all for so flatter responses, i did not expect such support, really. i think that mr. Justin hardly begins to reconstruct all program code 'cos of my only whim for it's too troublesome. the second problem is a remoteness, i live on the other end of a planet, it will hold communication with me uneasy enough. so i believe, Justin will go on it only in case that i'll give him completely developed interface up to trifles.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #77
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Can I request you stop working on this mockup and concentrate on a working theme?

The problem with mockups is perfectly illustrated by this thread, they seem to make users dissatisfied with the current state-of-play and qualify their opinions with sweeping statements like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygates View Post
I won't use a crap half way thing now that I know what you really intended.
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that you're never going to get what he intended. Or indeed anyone else's mockups, including mine. Whatever GUI system Reaper may use in the far flung future, it will always have some limitations. We will all work to do our best within those limitations. And, arguably, we will always fall short of what could be put together as a mockup.

And in the meantime, you get to make a lot of people's hard work look lacklustre. Doing a working theme takes more work than a mockup, for a less visually appealing result. The game here, as in all design that I'm aware of, is to work within the limitations for maximum result. If a client booked me to do a tiny 3" advert and I deliver a two page spread saying "yeah, but that's better - there's more space to do things" he'd understandably kick my face off. Reaper theming is much the same; embrace the limitations, see them as a challenge.

Doing a mockup gives any designer a short-cut to express a lot of ideas quickly... and that's always a good thing, right? Well, no. Because if the skinning abilities are going to move forwards, they're going to move slowly. Simply saying 'give us infinite flexibility' is understandable but utterly naive. It will happen bit by bit, and I assure all of you there are plenty of very well informed, talented people helping guide it. Add the OP as another clearly informed and talented individual to that discussion? Fantastic, and mockups do have their place in that process as discussion documents, but that's all.

If you want to make FRs for the skining engine, go right ahead. But keep them achievable, and recognise there's a huge queue . The big man has said we shall probably have movable buttons at some point. When? well, I suppose when he feels motivated to do it. I'd really like far greater control over font smoothing, colour allocation, bg stretch zones. At the moment we can't define the mute colour offsets in the take lanes. These things are all existing FRs, and I'm taking the view they may never happen, so that if they do, it'll be a nice surprise. I'm guessing that if I was to stamp my foot and whine "Reaper will be shit till this happens" they would be less likely to happen, because I would have turned them from a nice idea into a whinge.

Just for the sake of full disclosure, I have indeed taken a tiny bit of personal offence at some of the IMO overly forceful comments made in response to this thread, but I'm being chilled and not letting it colour the comments I have made. We are a community, we all want what's best for Reaper.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #78
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
And in the meantime, you get to make a lot of people's hard work look lacklustre.

I have indeed taken a tiny bit of personal offence at some of the IMO overly forceful comments made in response to this threa
This is exactly why I think the skin-thing something of a cop-out from Cockos.

Nothing is gained functionally by changing skins, it's a purely aesthetic thing. It has very few, if any genuine advantages over, say one single theme with a number of colour combinations.

For Cockos though, it's useful to be able to shrug-off responsibility for the overall design ("Hey! If you don't like it, make your own!").

It should be perfectly possible for people to complain about the under-developed/designed GUI without anybody taking offence since it seems clear that IT IS NO POSSIBLE to make an outstanding GUI within the restrictions of the skin-thing.

You can't make a great cake with powdered eggs.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #79
susbemol

Very well said, WT and I completely agree with you.
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #80
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
[a lot of stuff which needs to be put in the light of reality]
White Tie, you are a very nice guy and a great designer, but I think you are totally unreasonable and unjust here. And I think everybody, inlcuding yourself, will agree after this post.

Let me take your memories back to a time, when the 'advanced themeing', as it is now, wasn't implemented yet.

There was a guy who posted a great mockup of a theme and said:

'oh, if we only had this and that freedom, we could create a nice skin like that'
- and the response was overwhelming, very similar to the one in this thread here - then Justin looked at what's possible and implemented it.

Suddenly the same guy, who is Reaper's official designer now, says creating mockups to illustrate shortcomings in the currect gui-system is no good.

Why does the establishment always has to try to keep the upcoming down? (don't answer this one - it's a rhetorical question I of course know the answer for)

You brought the revolution, White Tie - now please don't fight the evolution!

Last edited by jens; 02-25-2008 at 10:24 AM.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote