Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 01:38 AM   #41
MrJones
Human being with feelings

Wow the script seems to work :-) that is amazing. Thanks so much!!

Edit: that $track doesn't work is a bit unfortunate, but I used automatic increment to workaround this. I guess this is a bug with the REAPER api right?

Last edited by MrJones; 03-14-2016 at 01:44 AM.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:00 AM   #42
MrJones

Ok, sadly it almost works but there is one unfortunate problem:

The option "Silently increment filenames to avoid overwriting" appears to be always ignored when processing the queued renders made by this script, and $track will always be replaced with "master'. Therefore while it works perfectly for one selected track and does exactly what it is supposed to (master FX and all are perfectly present), I can't make it work for more than one track since then it'll always overwrite itself over and over again resulting in just one output file :-/ so close..
Old 03-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #43
X-Raym

@MrJones
Use other $wildcard, like the hour minutes, seconds wildcards (that will be unique to the render), or the $project wildcard :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #44
mustgroove

I also requested this a while back - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=143327

If there's a viable script I'd be keen to give it a whirl, but the most elegant solution IMO would be to expand the functionality of the region render matrix to support this

It could be similar to how individual "nodes" in the group matrix can be "not set/all set/master/slave", the nodes in the region render matrix could be set to "not set/stem render/master stem render", where "stem render" is the existing functionality, and "master stem render" means any tracks with this setting are rendered sequentially through the master chain.
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #45
MrJones

The script works VERY well except for two issues:

1. the $track variable not working (as far as I understand this requires a minor fix that can only be done in REAPER), so you need to use $hour $minute $second or something

2. I need to click 99 times "Ok" for the render queue delay window in the beginning. Right now that is actually really helpful, because if you click that each 2 seconds your $hour $minute $second will be different and it works nicely - however if the first problem was addressed, this should be fixed too so it becomes a true one click operation

However, none of those are an actual showstopper. It just means for now I need to spend an initial 30 seconds clicking "Ok" every 2 seconds which is an annoyance, but for getting an otherwise fully automated accurately flat render of all tracks I really don't mind too much.

So if those two things above can be fixed some day, this script will be a very nice solution for this problem.

@Render Matrix: actually, I think both the render matrix AND the regular render dialog need to support it. Using the render matrix is somewhat hard for a beginner, and all the regular render dialog would need is an additional "Render separate tracks with full parent/Master FX" option (in the dropbox at the top where you choose what to render). It's not really hard, just no REAPER dev so far has bothered to add it
Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #46
X-Raym

@MrJones
Quote:
2. I need to click 99 times "Ok" for the render queue delay window in the beginning.
I didn't need to do that, all tracks were rendered successfully with just running the script.

Anyway, glad it helps you a bit already,

You should write a proper feature request thread in the dedicated forum.
I already write a post for having a render name function at reascript level.

Cheers !
Old 03-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #47
MrJones

I pushed the feature request here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...56&postcount=3

However, I fear simply nobody cares. Apparently not using stem exports only is wrong and I'm not a proper audio person. See also this thread... *sigh*

You really saved my buttocks by writing this script!! Thanks again :-)

Quote:
Anyway, glad it helps you a bit already
Understatement of the year :-) even with your script, the exports takes hours for a single one of my songs - but the difference is that now I can just start it and do something useful with my time while it runs. You made it go from impossible to a small nuisance!

Last edited by MrJones; 03-14-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #48
X-Raym

Quote:
You made it go from impossible to a small nuisance!
That's a good start I'm glad you like it !!

It may be possible to code a second script to rename files output in the output folders according to selected tracks (I saw there is a rename function in Lua), but this would need some research to know if it possible.

And once again, having native solutions would be far more easy for a user point of view.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #49
MrJones

I tried the script for a while now, and it is very powerful and useful.

However, with some pieces I'm having a bit of memory issues and I have been thinking about a suggestion from Justin: wouldn't it be possible to auto-close the current project right before starting to process the render queue? It's not that anybody would need it open anyway since during rendering it's not really possible to do anything, and my 3GB music piece being still open in that original instance eats away quite a bit of memory..
Old 04-17-2016, 01:50 AM   #50
mattgoody

First of all thank you X-Raym for your work on the script, and MrJones for bringing this issue to light.

That being said I have found a workaround to the $track render variable not working with this script.

I set a noname region for the length of my project and have the script rename that region to whichever track is currently being solo'd. I just moved the reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String line above the line that adds it to the render queue and then added a line to rename the region (id=1) each time a new track is solo'd.

And then i use the $region wildcard in my render output name.

Example below: (the track i was rendering was 267 seconds long)

Code:
reaper.SetOnlyTrackSelected(track)
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40340, 0) -- Unsolo all tracks
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40728, 0) -- Solo track

local retval, track_name = reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(track, "P_NAME", "new track name", false) -- Get track info
reaper.SetProjectMarker(1, true, 0, 267, track_name) -- Set region to name of track

reaper.Main_OnCommand(41823, 0) -- Add to render queue
I've tested it a few times and it seems to work.

Hope this helps someone
mattgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #51
daxliniere

I went looking for a script to do this task and when I saw Raymond had contributed, I knew things would be good.

Hey Matt, I like your solution, it seems to make a lot of sense.
Would you mind posting your final script and any usage instructions (if necessary), please?

Cheers, all!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #52
Marantz

Same issue here.

Wanted stems of tracks WITH EFFECTS. No Go.

Created a Buss. No Go.

Had to render each file one by one, PITA.
Marantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #53
Alex Ortega

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoody View Post
First of all thank you X-Raym for your work on the script, and MrJones for bringing this issue to light.

That being said I have found a workaround to the $track render variable not working with this script.

I set a noname region for the length of my project and have the script rename that region to whichever track is currently being solo'd. I just moved the reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String line above the line that adds it to the render queue and then added a line to rename the region (id=1) each time a new track is solo'd.

And then i use the $region wildcard in my render output name.

Example below: (the track i was rendering was 267 seconds long)

Code:
reaper.SetOnlyTrackSelected(track)
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40340, 0) -- Unsolo all tracks
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40728, 0) -- Solo track

local retval, track_name = reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(track, "P_NAME", "new track name", false) -- Get track info
reaper.SetProjectMarker(1, true, 0, 267, track_name) -- Set region to name of track

reaper.Main_OnCommand(41823, 0) -- Add to render queue
I've tested it a few times and it seems to work.

Hope this helps someone
amazing
Alex Ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:49 AM   #54
daxliniere

Hey Matt Goody, would you be able to share your latest code, please?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #55
X-Raym

@mattgoody

Thanks for the trick about naming file with Tracks.

I added it in the script, in a more flexible way (destination regions is not hard coded, and there is checking to prevent error).

The trick is to use a regions called '=RENDER', use source: regions in render settings, and set Master track for all tracks.

Let me know if it works as expected.

EDIT: Hmmmm I wonder if this works in a efficient way, especially export settings. I may have missed something. I need to make more test. let me know if it works for you.

Last edited by X-Raym; 11-01-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #56
X-Raym

Ok, it seems to works as expected
For reference:

let me know if I missed something.

Thanks !
Old 11-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #57
daxliniere

Oh, this is exciting! Thanks Raymond and Matt!
Looking forward to needing to try this.

Are there usage instructions in the script header or on run?
Old 11-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #58
X-Raym

@dax
yep,
If you didn't name a region properly, a message tell you what to do.
If you have a corresponding region, then you will have infos on script run, but basically, configure your export as shown on screenshot above.

I should have put the instructions more clearly in the header for ReaPack.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #59
X-Raym

Note to myself: maybe "=RENDER" region creation not needed.

it could be simply based on the =START and = END markers, native to REAPER. Region "=RENDER" would then be temporary created by the script itself from these markers position, and then deleted.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #60
daxliniere

I have a script that works on whatever the largest region is. Maybe use that logic?
Old 11-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #61
X-Raym

@daxliniere
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it is the more flexible.

I stay for the =RENDER region. We'll see !
Old 11-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #62
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@daxliniere
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it is the more flexible.
Yes, you're probably right, Raymond.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #63
TobyAM

This might save me a very intensive stem mastering process I've come up with, thank you! Your idea following here is also VERY interesting to me, since I'm doing a lot of mix/mastering in sub-projects for large projects. This would make things that much smoother. Thanks anyway!!

Quote:
Note to myself: maybe "=RENDER" region creation not needed.

it could be simply based on the =START and = END markers, native to REAPER. Region "=RENDER" would then be temporary created by the script itself from these markers position, and then deleted.
TobyAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #64
X-Raym

@TobyAM
Thanks for takibg time to say thanks ! very appreciated.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #65
TobyAM

@X-Raym
Really, thank you! You're making my job a lot easier.

The script works great, except that it fails to rename the render region, and thus the files, about half of the time. I've tried a lot of things to try to get it to work, but haven't found any success. Some session it works for, others I only get files with the "=RENDER" name.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #66
TobyAM

I've discovered that the next region after my '=RENDER' named region is being renamed and moved to the place of '=RENDER' region. So if I have two regions, the 2nd region is being manipulated, and since the first region is still the being used for the naming, it doesn't work.

I've hacked your code so that it just references the 1st region (sorry, first time ever seeing LUA), and this is working for me for now:

Code:
function GetRegionsRender_Index()

-- LOOP THROUGH REGIONS
	i=0
	repeat
		iRetval, bIsrgnOut, iPosOut, iRgnendOut, sNameOut, iMarkrgnindexnumberOut, iColorOur = reaper.EnumProjectMarkers3(0,i)
		if iRetval >= 1 then
			if bIsrgnOut == true and iMarkrgnindexnumberOut == 1 then
				region_idx = 1
				break
			end
			i = i+1
		end
	until iRetval == 0

return region_idx   

end
Still, I can't see any obvious reasons why this is happening. I also commented out PrevendUIRefresh so that I could see these regions getting messed up.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #67
X-Raym

Quote:
Still, I can't see any obvious reasons why this is happening. I also commented out PrevendUIRefresh so that I could see these regions getting messed up.
Can you make a video of that ?
I made this time a long time ago, I don't even remeber how exactly how it is supposed to work ^^
Old 10-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #68
Mickey Free

Hello, this seems perfect for what i would like to accomplish. I had to download X-Raym's script directly as Reapack is crashing reaper whenever I try to open it, for some strange reason.

I am new to using scripts and I keep getting an error when I try to run the script, saying

...m_Render selected tracks individually through master.lua:7: unexpected symbol near '<'

I simply selected my tracks and ran the script. Am I missing a step? Do I need to integrate this script into the rendering process in some way that I am not understanding?

Thanks for any help!

Mickey
Mickey Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #69
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Free View Post
Hello, this seems perfect for what i would like to accomplish. I had to download X-Raym's script directly as Reapack is crashing reaper whenever I try to open it, for some strange reason.

I am new to using scripts and I keep getting an error when I try to run the script, saying

...m_Render selected tracks individually through master.lua:7: unexpected symbol near '<'

I simply selected my tracks and ran the script. Am I missing a step? Do I need to integrate this script into the rendering process in some way that I am not understanding?

Thanks for any help!

Mickey
Since you say you downloaded directly it may be that you got an HTML-ized version of it.

Try with this link (righclick - Save as...)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/X-...h%20master.lua

(To clarify:
When you're here

https://github.com/X-Raym/REAPER-Rea...h%20master.lua

you need to click the "Raw" button to get to the 'pure' (non-HTML-ized) version.

Last edited by nofish; 10-22-2017 at 03:00 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #70
Mickey Free

Thanks, No Fish! That's exactly what I needed. Works like a charm! Thanks to X-Raym of course as well. Again, I know nothing about code so this really helps.
Mickey Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #71
daxliniere

Hey Raymond,
I just had a thought for a small update to this script. It would be great if, when you run the script, it shows you a window with the usage instructions, rather than getting to the other screen where it is a bit late to stop. This new window would have Continue and Abort buttons and display the message like this:

(Also, some instructions could be clarified with the same words that are used in REAPER)

Code:
1) Create region for rendering project stems called =RENDER
2) In Render To File window, set source to 'Region render matrix'
3) In Region Matrix window, check the 'Master Mix' box for the '=RENDER' region
4) Add the $region wildcard to the output file name. Track number will be added automatically.
5) Press 'Save changes and close', then press Continue below.

Last edited by daxliniere; 07-03-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #72
daxliniere

And could you make the script automatically add the track number to the filename, please? Regular_filename selected_track_number region_name
Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #73
X-Raym

@dax
As the script needs a very particular set up, having a popup menu would be acceptable I guess.

For the track IDX, I think a way to choose custom naming with some basic wildcard ("$trackname, $projectname etc) would be more flexible.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #74
daxliniere

Quote:
As the script needs a very particular set up, having a popup menu would be acceptable I guess.
Thank you!

Quote:
For the track IDX, I think a way to choose custom naming with some basic wildcard ("$trackname, $projectname etc) would be more flexible.
Yes, more flexibility would be great, I was just thinking of a way to make it as simple as possible.

Hmm, maybe the popup menu could have some options, like "include track number", for example?
Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #75
X-Raym

@dax
I prefer it to be as flexible as possible.

There will be a user input text field where you could enter text like

Code:
$track_$index

and it will named the render region based on these wildcards for the render.

What fields are required ?

Maybe I'll add a "$date" field as well.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #76
daxliniere

Would it be easy to make the list from REAPER's render filename wildcard list?
Old 07-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #77
daxliniere

And I really like the idea of entering the info in a text field. I think that $project should definitely be included and, if it's possible, the existing output filename.

For example. I just did stems for a mix with this filename: Band - Who Are You (Anatole remix) v2. For my stems I wanted them to look like this:

STEMS - Band - Who Are You (Anatole remix) v2 - 01 Kick
STEMS - Band - Who Are You (Anatole remix) v2 - 02 Hihat
etc...

This would be entered as STEMS - $output - $tracknumber $track
Old 07-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #78
X-Raym

Quote:
Would it be easy to make the list from REAPER's render filename wildcard list?
This would be a bit long to implement, and maybe a bit overkill for now. I'll stay with what users request most. $project seems a good idea.

And yes, arbitrary text could be entered, so you can add STEMS as prefix if needed.

I'll take care of that soon, I have to focus on premium/sponsored scripts first :P
Old 07-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #79
daxliniere

Quote:
This would be a bit long to implement, and maybe a bit overkill for now. I'll stay with what users request most. $project seems a good idea.
Yes, that's reasonable. Will you be able to implement $renderoutput which is the existing output filename?
Old 07-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #80
X-Raym

@dax
A wildcard for existing output filename ? Do you mean the track name, as it is currently ?
I dont understand how the whole render file name could be a wildcard for the rendered file name.