Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Troy
Human being with feelings

Default Can we NAME MIDI channels?

Is it possible to create a list/map to name MIDI channels in the MIDI editor?

I'm in the middle of an orchestral comp. using a bunch of different articulations mapped to discrete MIDI channels for each section of the orchestra and am constantly using the event filter to expose only the MIDI channel that I want to tweak. I tend to work in one big MIDI track for all strings and one for winds, etc because it lets me see the harmony, counterpoint, and hand-offs much easier. Unfortunately I'm always mixing up which articulation is on what channel. It would be awesome to just pick a name instead of just the channel number from the drop-down list.

Obviously, there may be some technical limitations here, but...

If there's another way that I'm missing, please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDI-Names.jpg (55.1 KB, 197 views)
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Troy

I just saw this on YouTube. A MIDI editor in Sonar, which I've never used. This would work well also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDI-Names-Sonar.jpg (38.7 KB, 133 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
mikeroephonics

Lightbulb

Hi, Troy.

I put in a request recently regarding a MIDI Channel naming system, which works similar to Sonar's, but better (in my opinion.) Please check your forum private message box for more information.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
MartinJG

Troy

I raised this very subject a few threads back. There is a temporary solution suggested by Dark Star which I have adopted but it seems we are all after the same thing. A better (because it's Reaper) version of the Sonar editor where it is possible to quickly edit the articulations/instruments in a track.
MartinJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
DarkStar

so I did ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I would do what Mr Data suggests - set your MIDI Editor to show the notes on each channel in a different colour.

Also, as a reminder:
-- type in the Channel to Articulation mappings as note names (on notes outside the range of the cello).
-- double right-click the piano key in the MIDI Editor then type in the details, Tab to the next note:

or put this is a .txt file (mine are in sub-folders in ...\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Note names):
Code:
12 1 - Double bow Expression
11 2 - Double bow
10 3 - Expression Down
9 4 - Expression Vibrato
8 5 - Expression up
7 6 - Legato vibrato
6 7 - Non vibrato
5 8 - Q Legato
4 9 - Sul Tasto Legato
3 10 - Sustain acc
2 11 - Sustain vibrato hard
1 12 - Sustain vibrato smooth
0 13 - Sustain legato
and load it through the MIDI Editor: File >> Customise note names menu.

-- in the MIDI Editor, you can display one or All MIDI channels; you could add a single note name to the display of each MIDI channel, as a reminder.

-- there is one disadvantage here - note names are channel-specific, so they will disappear when you change the displayed channel. This is a plug for an old FR:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1404
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28305
More votes needed ...
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
EricM

Troy, seems that the Sonar screenshot in your post shows
the ability to choose tracks, rather than midi channels.

A similar feature is being worked on this very moment
for the next Reaper update, check the pre-release forums
for more info.

e
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Troy

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking forward to the update.

As far as the note names disappearing, you can post note names to each channel and they will appear when you change channels.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
hamish

I use color notes by channel, which is OK. The idea of being able to name a channel per track I like.

Another tip I could suggest with this kind of multi-channel sequence editing is to set up shortcuts for filter (the actions 'Channel: Show only channel nn').

When you use this action, the channel to draw on is automatically set to that channel, which is very handy when you are wanting to add a note here or there.

The drawback is that the other notes disappear from the sequence. I have the short cut for 'show all' mapped as well, so it's just one action to view all channels again.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I use color notes by channel, which is OK. The idea of being able to name a channel per track I like.

Another tip I could suggest with this kind of multi-channel sequence editing is to set up shortcuts for filter (the actions 'Channel: Show only channel nn').

When you use this action, the channel to draw on is automatically set to that channel, which is very handy when you are wanting to add a note here or there.

The drawback is that the other notes disappear from the sequence. I have the short cut for 'show all' mapped as well, so it's just one action to view all channels again.
hamish,

I just took your workaround (thank you very much) and tweaked on it a bit. I too use "color notes by channel" and that makes editing like this somewhat practical.

I expanded the default [MIDI Editor] shortcuts (shift+1,2,3, etc) for 'Channel: Show only channel nn' and added Ctrl+Shift+1,2,3, etc to access channels 11-16. I then added shortcuts for "Channel: Toggle channel nn" using Shift+F1 to F10 and Ctrl+Shift+F1 to F6 to access all midi channels.

What I found, to my relief, was that if I used the "Show only ch nn" shortcuts to show the channel I want to work on, and then toggle other channels on to see what I'm doing, the first channel retains priority and I can edit in that channel without accidental editing in one of the others.

This workaround combined with adding Note Name Maps to each channel kind of makes this work.

I DL'd the latest per-release (433pre12_x64), but can't yet see how the Track List is going to resolve this. All in time I suppose.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
FnA

There's an action called something like "set channel for new events" to 1,2,3, etc. Don't have to hide everything to use that. Don't know if it suits you, but you could use text icons on toolbar buttons that say "Pizz" or "Legato" or whatever. You can change the on/off toolbar text color in the theme editor. Seemed like you were looking for a visual aid...
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #11
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
There's an action called something like "set channel for new events" to 1,2,3, etc. Don't have to hide everything to use that. Don't know if it suits you, but you could use text icons on toolbar buttons that say "Pizz" or "Legato" or whatever. You can change the on/off toolbar text color in the theme editor. Seemed like you were looking for a visual aid...
Oh Yeah! Thanks, weird thing the other day I was searching for those actions , but I didn't turn them up because I couldn't remember the right term.

I've got to the point I just have too many shortcuts, I think I'll try some toolbar buttons, as you suggest.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
Mielushe2

Default Js Midi Note2Channel

Hi to all,

I'm just a beginer in reaper and since the thread is on channels, I would like to know if some of you can help me konw how to use the js plugin Note2Channel create a multi out routing. For more details on what I mean let me present a cas where I have a drum vst which dosen't integrated a multi out. How can I use the js midi - Note 2 Channel to turn each component of the drum kit into a channel (note to channel) and route each to a seperated track?
Any help from you will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mielushe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #13
DarkStar

That JS FX just changes the MIDI channel for a selected MIDI note. It does not affect audio channels.

If your drum VST does not have multiple audio outputs then you will not be able to get separate audio for each drum kit piece out of it. Which VST are you using?

The hard way would be to have the VST on several tracks, one for each drum kit piece. And separate the MIDI by pitch into several MIDI clips, one on each track.