Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Schöpke
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Controller, 3DConnexion, GlovePIE, and whatnot

I am new to... uhm, CAMM (Computer Aided Music Making), and so I might have a case of complete beginner's block here. But since I searched the web and this page all day on this, it may be something of a unique problem to solve, too.

What I want to do is voice-over recordings. Really long ones. For this I was thinking of a process like with the old tape machines, where in case of mistake I would scrub back a little till silence, and hit record with some pre-roll, so I'd get back into character easily. As a result, I would end up with a rough cut track that would need significantly less editing than with the "normal" method, where I'd just keep it rolling. Since I also would like to read the text on screen, the DAW would have to be in background (= no focus!), so my hope is that with a MIDI controller I still could control the DAW's transport and scrubbing functions.

The problem: I can't find a MIDI controller that has a transport and a jog/scrub wheel. At least not under 3000 Dollars. Only thing that showed up was the Avid Artist Control (former Euphonix), and that isn't guaranteed to work in Reaper. It's a real beauty though.

So I now resort to using what I have: A 3DConnexion SpacePilot Pro from my CAD endeavours. I have managed to control Reaper with the "Anywhere" Beta drivers from their page, and it works perfectly (THX to SWS!), but again, only if Reaper is in the foreground. It HAS to work in background.

So I finally found GlovePie, and MIDI Yoke, and a lot of text that handles other problems than mine. Also, I feel a bit exhausted.

So my plea is: Can anybody please give me a primer on how to set up all this stuff correctly?

THX and Best Greetings,
Dieter
Schöpke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
Mr. Data

Hi Dieter and welcome to Reaperland!

Maybe it helps if you go to "Options -> Preferences -> Audio" and untick "Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive".

-Data
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Schöpke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Hi Dieter and welcome to Reaperland!

Maybe it helps if you go to "Options -> Preferences -> Audio" and untick "Close audio device when stopped and application is inactive".

-Data
THX, that was activated indeed.

So, how do I set up all the rest for MIDI Controlling with my 3DC? I mean, GlovePIE, MIDI Yoke and all that? The beta driver set up the 3DC as three devices in Control Panel, System, Hardware: A keyboard, a mouse and a joystick.

I can see the joystick from inside Reaper, MIDI devices. It offers me one of three scripts that can be edited. Where do I go from here? Is it correct procedure to just map the key commands somehow to the script? Or is this done otherways in MIDI? This is severe noob alarm. Please help me

Dieter

Last edited by Schöpke; 01-19-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Mr. Data

The MIDI devices should be listed under "Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> MIDI Devices".
You can right click on the device of your choice and enable it. For keyboards use "Enable input", for controller keyboards use "Enable input" and "Enable input for control messages" (both have to be ticked) and for control devices use just "Enable input for control messages".

I don't know 3DC and GlovePIE, so I can't be of specific lelp there. MIDI Yoke is fine to let applications exchange MIDI data inside the computer. (BTW and OT: for audio, be sure to enable ReaRoute while installing new Reaper versions if you need this feature.)

Back to topic: If you want to control other applications from Reaper, make settings to the outputs as well eg, if you want to make Reaper send MTC to other programs, use MIDI Yoke and choose "Configure output" and in the window tick "Send clock/SPP to this device" and click "OK". If you've made all these settings, click "OK" in the prefs window.

Now, to make assigns to your controller, go to "Actions -> Show action list" (or press '?').
In the filter type "Transport"
Now, if you want eg. to assign a button of your controller to "Play", click on "Transport: Play" in the actions list.
On the right side of the actions window you see a frame captioned "Shortcuts for selected action". If you don't see this, make the actions window wider.
Click on the add button.
Now push the button of the controller. You should see the MIDI event it has sent.
Click "OK".
If you now press the button of the controller, Reaper should start playback.
If you want this button to toggle between play and pause or play and stop, just use the according actions instead of "Transport: Play", eg. "Transport: Play/Stop".

I might have forgotten this or that, so don't hesitate to come back.

HTH

-Data

EDIT: To find a controller, maybe you should google for "Contour Design Shuttle Pro V2 USB-Video-Controller". Depending on your demands, it doesn't have to be a 3000 $ one, I reckon.

Last edited by Mr. Data; 01-19-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Schöpke

THX Data.

Shuttle Pro V2 doesn't have MIDI, hence no background control over the DAW. Right now it looks a lot like Euphonix Transport, only that its not sure if it can be mapped towards reaper. You see, finding hardware that has everything I need AND does work with Reaper appears to be a real bitch.

I have installed MIDI Yoke, it shows up in Control Panel allright, but I can't see it in Reaper MIDI setup. Only my RME Babyface. Can you tell me what's the story here?

Dieter

Last edited by Schöpke; 01-19-2013 at 02:54 PM.