Old 12-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
sinkmusic
Human being with feelings

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain
Default Dynamic split : lost item FX ?

Hello,
With Reaper6, it seems that splitting an item using Dynamic Split loses the itemFX.
Is this a bug, or a new behaviour ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
sinkmusic

> no more itemFX after splitting.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
akademie

Confirming.

Only first slice (if no removed by options - remove silent areas etc.) keeps the take FX. I would consider it as a bug :-(

Behavior tested on Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) and Reaper v6.01 (32-bit) and Reaper v5.984 (32-bit). It does the same in both versions.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

This is by design, because dynamic split can often result in hundreds or thousands of items, and preserving take FX in these cases can result in massive amounts of memory being used...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
akademie

Ohh, I see, Justin. Technically understandable then, sure.

Hmm, but problem is, that if the first slice is silence and the option to delete/remove these is enabled, then take fx is gone completely, with no way of reuse when needed, if you know what I mean.
Maybe at least warning asking for confirmation before finalizing dynamic split operation if it finds that the opeation would remove the slice with item FX (which actually is the first slice)?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
sinkmusic

Thank you for the clarification, Justin.
But like Akademie wrote above, I also lost some takeFX after splitting a couple files, and didn't noticed the takeFX were gone (i thought, as the slices are small, that the take didn't have enought space to display the TakeFX).
There is no warning message, no clear indication that something will disappear (the itemFX aren't even processed), which seems a bit odd...

Would it be possible :

- to have at least a warning message when splitting items with takeFX ("warning : splitting the item will delete all itemFX !")

- Or to have the choice (better solution imho) : "warning : splitting items with takeFX can result in massive memory use, do you really want to proceed?" (or "splitting items with takeFX can result in massive memory use, do you want to 1- split items and keep itemFX, or 2-split items and delete itemFX (without applying them to the take")... Maybe as an option (tick box) in the Dynamic Split window (so the behaviour can be saved as a preset)

-Or to have the option to render the take (apply itemFX) prior to split it ?

At least, imho, the user should be aware that something he has done (applying FX) will be lost without warning.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:25 AM   #7
pepe44

I think is reasonable to loose take FX for the reason Justin just said . If the same fx is to be used on that track why don´t you just insert one instance on the Track FX instead ?
Keeps resources lower. Or is it a specific fx that needs to be on all splits?
Old 12-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
I think is reasonable to loose take FX for the reason Justin just said . If the same fx is to be used on that track why don´t you just insert one instance on the Track FX instead ?
Keeps resources lower. Or is it a specific fx that needs to be on all splits?
pepe44, but you are missing the main point - that it destructively breaks your work without any prior notification. If you have tailored your Item FX chain and suddenly it is gone, then how you make all the settings/tweeks again from the scratch???

As sinkmusic pointed above, there are lots of ways how to deal with it - from simple notification to intelligent logick behind the operation. And as always, we have options in Reaper, so let's user decide if he want to loose his work unintentionally or preserve it at the cost of increased CPU/memory load

BTW, I do not use item FX a lot and also do not split to thousands of slices (maybe tenths when splicing drumloops etc..). Others sure may do so.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
it destructively breaks your work without any prior notification.
This. +100000 !

In a world where some developers keep on releasing 32bit software for backward compatibility sake, I do find very awkward to delete (or destroy) what the user did without letting him know.
In 20 years of using software, I can not find one single piece of software crushing what the user did "for his own security (or "computer memory use").

In my case, I was editing 1000+ one-shot samples, and only 5 of them had a bad noisefloor requiring some custom denoising and eq shaping.
I think warning me prior or deleting my work without any notice would make feel grown up enough to take my own decision.
My computer can handle 5 slices or "per-itemFX" without even an eyeblink, so yes, please Reaper, let me do what i want to do

Quote:
dynamic split can often result in hundreds or thousands of items
Mmh, yes, sometimes, I guess so. To each his own workflow, however (and this is the very reason why i am favorable to user freedom of choice and information) : I think that anyone who once tried to dynamic split a take featuring a cymbal would agree that the workflow is better if you don't try to dynamic slit at once a long chunk of audio, because it's harder to tweak.
If, like me, you start by splitting your big take into several smaller takes, you can process the individual slices 10 by 10 (instead of 1000 at once), and it is easier to tweak... and doesn't put your CPU on its knees (in the case where you would have per item FX).

(Also, should I mention that this behaviour is non consistent when you "split" and when you "dynamic split" ? When you split and item, you keep the FX, when you dynamic split, you loose the FX without knowing it...)

Please, consider allowing the user to choose, give him the freedom to do what he needs to do, and please give him the required information so he knows that he will lose his work if he splits the item.
A tick box option in the preferences ("keep item FX when dynamic split" yes/no) would be the best, imho, or a tick box in the Dynamic Split window would be fine.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:24 AM   #10
sinkmusic

*Bump*
Would it be possible to have an option to keep itemFX while splitting if we want/need to ?