Old 03-30-2019, 05:05 AM   #1
cmed
Human being with feelings

Default Problem with Waves Tune

Hello,
After some Reaper update, I've met the old projects compatibility issues.

I use Waves Tune (VST2 version) on takes (as a take FX). In early versions of Reaper it worked like this: I add the Waves Tune plugin to a take, scan it, tune it and then I'm able to copy/paste/move the item everywhere around the project without a need to re-scan or re-tune it.

But in Reaper 5.973 it seems that the DAW transfers an absolute project timestamp to a Waves Tune instance on a take, so it requires to re-scan/re-tune after every item movement. And that made all my editing projects broken, because all the tuning settings inside dozens of Waves Tune instances is now misplaced.

Is there any option or workaround to make it count starting time offset inside of Waves Tune from the beginning of the media, not the whole project, like it was implemented before?
cmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
nappies

The same here, I updated Reaper from 5.965 to 5.973 And all waves tune take editing now broken.

Another old bug BTW when you glued "Waves tune" take, - Wave moves 70 ms forward. When you freeze parent take track it doesn't happen.

Broken project here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1amw...ew?usp=sharing

Please move this thread to REAPER Bug Reports!!!
nappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappies View Post
The same here, I updated Reaper from 5.965 to 5.973 And all waves tune take editing now broken.

Another old bug BTW when you glued "Waves tune" take, - Wave moves 70 ms forward. When you freeze parent take track it doesn't happen.

Broken project here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1amw...ew?usp=sharing

Please move this thread to REAPER Bug Reports!!!

Glue doesn't render an item with the corrected tuning anyway, because glue is always offline. Apart from the usual offline rendering of a project (master mix) any other WT rendering (E.G track render or item render) needs to be in real time.

Rendering from the main render dialogue does work for items but only if online, and to have the rendered item actually in your project you need to tick 'All rendered items to new tracks in project' then move the item back into the original track.

Or a better workflow for rendering bits and pieces as you go is to use GSnap...watch the green correction line...adjust the parameters.. glue...done.

Last edited by Goldreap; 03-13-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
cmed

I'd really appreaciate adding an option to switch between old behavior for take FX and the new one. Like a default one in the project settings and overriding for a particular item.

The new behaviour may be also useful in some cases, like using DBlue Glitch on a take and ensuring it obtains a proper project timestamp to switch its internal patterns.

As for applying Waves Tune (or any other tune) to an item, neither Glue, nor Apply FX don't work (I use lots of stretch markers too), so I ended up using the SWS action "Render tracks, obeying time selection" to prevent Reaper from rendering the whole track.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmed View Post

As for applying Waves Tune (or any other tune) to an item, neither Glue, nor Apply FX don't work (I use lots of stretch markers too), so I ended up using the SWS action "Render tracks, obeying time selection" to prevent Reaper from rendering the whole track.

My tests show that Glue and Apply FX render corrected tuning with both GSnap and Reatune.
EDIT: ...provided Reatune is in automatic rather than manual mode.

Last edited by Goldreap; 04-07-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
cmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
My tests show that Glue and Apply FX render corrected tuning with both GSnap and Reatune.
Thank you, haven't used them though.
I've tried Waves Tune, Antares Auto-Tune and Melodyne (before ARA support) only for now.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Waves really, really needs to fix this thing
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
that may well be the real truth, however the OP seems to be saying it used to work fine before the reaper update he mentions....
Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #9
cmed

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there's nothing to do with Waves Tune itself, 'cause I haven't updated or re-installed it.

It's the Reaper behavior change, since the same thing has happened to Antares Auto-Tune too.

"Solved" the issue by downgrading back to Reaper 5.965 for now.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
cmed

Hey guys,
Is there any news regarding the issue?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Its killing me right now
Old 08-03-2019, 10:34 PM   #12
jinotsuh

Quote:
As others have said I doubt it's a Waves problem. Waves Tune works like a dream in Studio One, haven't really bothered using REAPER for a few years and don't really feel inclined to fire it up.
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
pipelineaudio
Mortal

How is the new AutoTune Pro? Last autotune I tried was sketchy as hell, crashing all over the place
Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I just gave autotune's new Pro version a try and it works great, renders offline or apply fx fine, but it doesnt have ara2 or rewire and its 400 bucks!
Old 08-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #15
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinotsuh View Post
As others have said I doubt it's a Waves problem. Waves Tune works like a dream in Studio One, haven't really bothered using REAPER for a few years and don't really feel inclined to fire it up.
Will it let you apply the effect offline? Waves says it won't unless its going through the master track
Old 12-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #16
sparrow_timbus

+1 broke my entire vocal workflow, particularly long sessions with multiple songs passing WavesTune 10min limit
sparrow_timbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #17
michaelwho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow_timbus View Post
+1 broke my entire vocal workflow, particularly long sessions with multiple songs passing WavesTune 10min limit
I just bought waves tune. Are you saying that it doesn't work going forward on new projects?
michaelwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:14 AM   #18
pipelineaudio
Mortal

If you dont want to apply fx as new take to it, it should be ok...No idea why they wont just fix it though
Old 12-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #19
MechanimaL

sometimes i have the feeling that the graphic display of vocal notes inside the waves plugin is somehow not exactly timed ??

any tips on avoiding problems with the waves tune plugin using it in reaper?
MechanimaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #20
cmed

Hello guys,
So it's Reaper 6.03 at the moment.
Is there some workaround for the problem?

I've tuned an item (the upper left on the screenshot) with Waves Tune as a take FX, then copied the item (bottom right one), and all the tuning has moved to the left from the actual item content, so I had to re-scan and tune the copied item again. That's so uncomfortable for editing, comparing to what was in versions 5.95 and below, where you could just tune an item, copy it, and all the tuning is preserved wherever you place it in the project.
Should I tell that there's no compatibility with the old editing projects due to that time offset inside take FXs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tune_Problem.jpg (62.9 KB, 241 views)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #21
Goldreap

cmed,
I just portable installed REAPER v5.965 and confirmed what you said in opening post about the old (desirable) behaviour prior to v 5.973 when using Waves Tune as a take FX...the correction curve stays with the copied/moved item.

Last edited by Goldreap; 03-13-2020 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #22
Mind Riot

Yeah, Waves Tune has ended up being a big pain in the ass to use.

I couldn't get anything to work rendering or gluing or applying FX as new take, in real time or not.

I just ended up making a new track and recording the tuned output of the original onto it, piece by piece.

There's got to be an easier way. If someone could enlighten me to a better method I'd love to hear it.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #23
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
Yeah, Waves Tune has ended up being a big pain in the ass to use.

I couldn't get anything to work rendering or gluing or applying FX as new take, in real time or not.

I just ended up making a new track and recording the tuned output of the original onto it, piece by piece.

There's got to be an easier way. If someone could enlighten me to a better method I'd love to hear it.
Yes, it's a fiddly business, but it's working for me:
(You probably know most of this.)

Make sure real time render is selected in preferences.
Waves Tune can be Track FX or Take FX.
Put Rewire as a Track FX (not Take FX) on the same track as Waves Tune and in the 'audio from rewire' tab set both track channels to 'none'.
Then 'apply track/take FX......' will render the tuning correctly.
Obviously any other track FX that you don't want rendered at this point need to be disabled.

If Waves Tune is a Take FX and you want the convenience of item right click 'Render items as new take' rather than 'Apply...'(so that you don't have to muck about disabling other track FX), then you have to REMOVE (not just disable) rewire from the Track FX before rendering.

Tuning is also rendered correctly with track right click render, and for this, rewire does not have to be on the same track; and if it's on a dummy track there's no need to set the 'audio from rewire' to 'none'. The trouble with track render is that the whole track is processed, but there is the action 'SWS/AW Render tracks to mono (or stereo) stem tracks, obeying time selection'.

But yeah, it's a struggle!

Last edited by Goldreap; 03-13-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:26 AM   #24
cmed

Any updates regarding the issue?
That would be just awesome to have an option in preferences to toggle the absolute project timestamp on/off for item fx.