Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
RPD
Human being with feelings

Default Roland VS into Reaper, what mixer to control Reaper

Hello all :-)
I'm a long time Roland VS1680 user. Because I am collaborating with distant musicians who will traffic in wav files, I've licensed Reaper and use that to send my Roland files (via Virdis' wav export)

My question:. IF I decide to keep everything in Reaper...1. what would be a good mixing console to use (I don't want to mix using the mouse and would like 100mm faders...simple is good minimum 16 track)
AND
Reaper effects/compressors vs Roland VS effects? Anybody have any experience comparing the two?

Thanks in advance and also, thanks for this awesome resource! This is my first post here....(RD in the Roland VS Forums)
RPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
ivansc

We heard you in your earlier post. I have used everything under the sun mixing in and out of reaper. It`s all good.
But you are probably going to be better off spending the money you would spend on a console on a really good multi I/O audio/MIDI interface (I recommend RME products, as do many others) and if you HAVE to use a physical mixer, get a MIDI or OSC based control surface. I use a couple of Korg NanoKontrols and they are more than adequate for what I mix.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
RPD

Default Thanks

Thanks! Off to research....
Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
RPD

Default Thanks

I reported my inadvertently posted double post...terrible internet caused it to appear it had not posted... Sorry everybody.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
Goldreap

I used a VS2000 heavily for about 5 years then switched to REAPER about 10 years ago. I know the feeling of being attached to the old hardware stuff, and the Rolands are great machines...I still have mine setup but don't really use it anymore. The VS FX are great but so are the Cockos, not to mention the hundreds of free (and paid) high quality VST FX available. And once you get used to editing in REAPER you really can't go back to the Rolands.

Re getting a mixing console....I'd say get used to the mouse...and then there's automation (which in the VS2000 was excruciatingly tedious). I feel where you're coming from but a console might be a backwards and unnecessary step I think...don't rush into it, spend your time with REAPER.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
RPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
I used a VS2000 heavily for about 5 years then switched to REAPER about 10 years ago. I know the feeling of being attached to the old hardware stuff, and the Rolands are great machines...I still have mine setup but don't really use it anymore. The VS FX are great but so are the Cockos, not to mention the hundreds of free (and paid) high quality VST FX available. And once you get used to editing in REAPER you really can't go back to the Rolands.

Re getting a mixing console....I'd say get used to the mouse...and then there's automation (which in the VS2000 was excruciatingly tedious). I feel where you're coming from but a console might be a backwards and unnecessary step I think...don't rush into it, spend your time with REAPER.
Thanks...I'm convinced after a bit of listening to you and a few others and some.onlune research...I'll try to get used to the mouse.

I'm in the middle of an important project and wav files are being shared and Reaper might be a better mixing tool (undoubtedly more options in Reaper)

I have been and will probably keep tracking on the VS...I know that machine and rather like the RDAC sound ..kind of tape-ish...warmer...or muddier depending on your perspective.

Thanks for your
Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 AM   #7
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD View Post
Hello all :-)
I'm a long time Roland VS1680 user. Because I am collaborating with distant musicians who will traffic in wav files, I've licensed Reaper and use that to send my Roland files (via Virdis' wav export)

My question:. IF I decide to keep everything in Reaper...1. what would be a good mixing console to use (I don't want to mix using the mouse and would like 100mm faders...simple is good minimum 16 track)
AND
Reaper effects/compressors vs Roland VS effects? Anybody have any experience comparing the two?

Thanks in advance and also, thanks for this awesome resource! This is my first post here....(RD in the Roland VS Forums)
I would say there is no modern single "what would be a good mixing console" answer.

Just like you could speicify different modules when ordering your large format console, the modern desk tends to be an aggregation of units a la:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ravhFzHcYKI&t=0s

Join in the discussion in the thread listed below.

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 06-25-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
serr

You can use whatever fx plugins you wish in Reaper. Reaper's included stuff. Your favorite Roland stuff. Maybe a few things you might not have considered that might raise your eyebrows pretty high.

You ask the question as though you perceive a restriction or must choose one vs another plugin. No such restrictions in DAW production.

Control surface:
My 2c is the bang for the buck with everything else is so incredibly high that mixing with a mouse doesn't even hit the radar. For me, trying to make a mix on one of those early digital units like that Roland would be really painful vs almost any DAW even with only a mouse. Just some comments. Not trying to talk you out of a control surface!

The Faderport 16 might be something to look at.

Aside:
I mostly only use a control surface with Reaper for running live sound. I pull it out rarely in the studio. Mouse, keyboard, trackpad.
I have a UC-33 (you wouldn't like the cheap faders), a original single Faderport, and an iPad. MIDI controllers over a wi-fi USB hub and iPad via remote desktop.

Compressors:
Back 20 years ago all digital compressors sucked.
UA came along with the first eyebrow raising plugins for Protools TDM.

Those UA plugins eventually went to (sort of) VST versions but with a hardware card needed (just like Protools back then). And then they stopped...
They literally still sell them needing that pci card business.
I still have them but don't recommend them anymore.

I'd just dial up what I needed with ReaComp in a pinch and wouldn't miss them. Which is what I do now when that antique card maxes out.

I'd give the DAW approach a try. You can always integrate your old Roland into the mix if you like something it does. If it sounds right it is right.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
RPD

Default Awsome input!!

Thanks guys for that above! I do really like the Roland RDAC sound and the platform is very comfy for me after all these years...the DAW upgrade with Reaper really came as I've gotten to the point where collaborating with others is happening. I've had the Reaper software open slot since yesterday and will probably submerge into exile for a few days to learn and watch YouTube pieces on Reaper. I'm also planning to record some onsite basicilla bells in Quebec in the next week or so, so I'll be using the software a bit on the trip...

Many thanks for the ideas. Every one is getting googled. :-)

RPD
Old 06-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
serr

One thing about DAW mixing vs any analog signal path mixing device is it doesn't have a "sound". Any sound in your mix is all you and your technique. The DAW is transparent. One of the things I like about it and would never be able to go back on. YMMV.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote