Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
JamesG
Human being with feelings

Default OT: Looking for a multi-track MIDI sequencer for iPad

A bit off topic, but I do plan to use Reaper to create the sequences.

I have an iPad. I have a gig playing a church organ that is midi capable. In addition to the organ and its sound, we have two sound modules, one is an organ module that adds to the organ console sounds while the other is a Korg X5-DR. The organ nicely plays the the sound modules using channels 1,2 & 4 (Swell, Great & Pedal with 3 being reserved for the Choir manual available on other models) and handles program changes to the Korg within the range of 1 to 40.

I'm still learning how to best utilize the Korg unit (it basically adds orchestral sounds). I can see possibilities for it, but I don't want to always double what I'm playing on the organ with the sounds on the Korg. Plus, I want to take advantage of it beyond what the organ can do. So, a sequenced midi track seems the way to go.

Since I have the iPad, I figure there must be a multi-track sequencer that can play and record any of the 16 midi channels via either a physical connector or wireless midi. In searching for such an app, I'm finding some that trigger sounds on the iPad but don't output midi data. Or I run across those with product descriptions that are incomplete or imply they only handle one or two channels of data. Since I don't currently own a physical or wireless midi connector (other than TouchOSC), the available apps will affect which of those I'll need.

I don't really have the time to go through every free midi app that appears to do what I want and I'm not going to buy any unless I know it does what I want.

So, any suggestions from anyone here?

And to keep it somewhat Reaper related, I have a few videos on my youtube channel that may be of help to Reaper users. (Link on my webpage)

Thanks