Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
davewah
Human being with feelings

Default Midi Notes to Reaper from Maschine 2

When I start Record in Reaper and play the pads on Maschine 2 the notes do not get recorded in Reaper. When I plug a midi keyboard into Maschine 2 and Record in Reaper the notes do get recorded. In the later case this happens when the Reaper Track Input is set to Input:MIDI/Mashcine MK2 In/Channel No X. Thus I can record a performance into Reaper using a midi keyboard and flipping midi channels on the keyboard to trigger different Maschine sounds and the DAW will play it back with the different parts triggering the right sounds. But why can't I do the same thing with the pads on Maschine?

PS I have managed to Record midi notes from Maschine on the VSTi track by setting the record source to "Recordutput/Recordutput(MIDI)" but that is totally useless for doing anything other than the first take.
davewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewah View Post
PS I have managed to Record midi notes from Maschine on the VSTi track by setting the record source to "Recordutput/Recordutput(MIDI)" but that is totally useless for doing anything other than the first take.
Right click arm button and also set the track to monitor media while recording. Now your takes will be proper overdubs. Do as many as you like. I have templates here if you're interested: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=194950
Old 07-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #3
davewah

Thanks for the reply, the problem is that the midi note recordings of the Maschine VSTi track output captured by Reaper ARE overdubs. Take 1=Take 1, Take 2=Take 1+ 2, Take 3=Take 1+2+3 etc etc. This is unavoidable if one is recording the output of the track. Totally useless when one wants each midi part to be a discrete take.

I have 16 midi tracks set up all routed to and from the Macshine VSTi. But Maschine will not output Midi notes to these tracks. Midi parts placed on these tracks will play back the corresponding Voice in Maschine.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
davewah

PS I had a go at one of your templates, it crashes Reaper while it is still loading...
Old 07-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewah View Post
I have 16 midi tracks set up all routed to and from the Macshine VSTi.
That's a feedback loop and like the source of your problems. Try loading my template while Reaper is open. There's nothing in them that can crash Reaper. Unless perhaps you're on Mac? I'm on Windows x64. That could be an issue.

Which version of Maschine do you have and is it up to date?

This is how I'd suggest working and also how my templates work:
Do all the MIDI on the Maschine track and separate each group by MIDI channel. Set all the Pad/Sound outputs to host on the corresponding channel.

Set up this way I can record a part with as many takes as I want. Next time I record, it's overdubs of only the last take recorded. If I don't play any notes, the new recording will simply be that last take.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
davewah

Hey,

I did try to open your template while Maschine was open, same thing happened...the program crashed while loading the template. I'm on Win 10 64 bit with everything...

Here's a thing (possibly)...
I have 16 samples each on their own pad and on their own midi channel, all in the same group.

Perhaps your work flow only applies to One midi channel per group?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
davewah

Hey,

I did try to open your template while Maschine was open, same thing happened...the program crashed while loading the template. I'm on Win 10 64 bit with everything...

Here's a thing (possibly)...
I have 16 samples each on their own pad and on their own midi channel, all in the same group.

Perhaps your work flow only applies to One midi channel per group?

I don't there is a feedback loop, it's just that recording the output of a track will record everything that comes out of that instrument, right?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
davewah

PS I tried opening your template while Reaper was open
Old 07-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Yes it's one MIDI channel per group. I made one that's per-sound routed, but the MIDI is still all done on the Maschine track. That way you don't have to route MIDI to separate tracks and back (thus creating a feedback loop). If you set the Group MIDI Batch to channels it should then be the way you want.

I've tried most conceivable ways to do use Maschine in Reaper (including running Maschine standalone and routing the MIDI to reaper through virtual MIDI cables) and this is the simplest (all MIDI on one track). That's why I provided the templates and suggest doing it that way.

But I'm still not sure why it's crashing for you. Again, which Maschine do you have and is it up to date? I have Maschine 2 and I know these templates work for any Maschine mk1 or mk2, but maybe the new plugin version is incompatible.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:06 AM   #10
davewah

Hiya,

I'm on the latest version of Maschine and the latest version of Reaper. When I launch your template Reaper either closes during loading or hangs.

But anyways Maschine will not spit out Midi notes per Sound per Reaper Midi track. That's the craic right?

Macshine will pass Midi Note's through it's Midi Input port to Reaper per track per channel which is probably the best work around. But this doesn't let me use Note Repeat which was an important creative part of this particular piece.

Do you know if this Maschine Midi notes problem is peculiar to Reaper. I have a copy of Ableton Light somewhere.

Cheers