Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
mpitzel
Human being with feelings

Default Applying project templates to existing project

Is there a way to use template files with project files that already have associated media?

I have a song mixed just how I'd like it, every song from the session was recorded the same way, etc. etc.

I can definitely think of ways to keep each channel's plugin chain/settings uniform from song to song (e.g. dragging the media from each song's project file into a template file, making dozens of presets and recalling them track by track for each song). But I imagine there's a more elegant way. Something maybe like Photoshop's "copy/paste layer styles" function.

Feel free to direct me to any relevant existing threads. I searched a little but couldn't find one.

Thank you!
mpitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitzel View Post
Is there a way to use template files with project files that already have associated media?

I have a song mixed just how I'd like it, every song from the session was recorded the same way, etc. etc.

I can definitely think of ways to keep each channel's plugin chain/settings uniform from song to song (e.g. dragging the media from each song's project file into a template file, making dozens of presets and recalling them track by track for each song). But I imagine there's a more elegant way. Something maybe like Photoshop's "copy/paste layer styles" function.

Feel free to direct me to any relevant existing threads. I searched a little but couldn't find one.
Hi mpitzel and welcome to the forum.

I'm a little confused by what you mean. You can make track templates as well as save presets for the FX them selves. You can also save FX chains. Each one has their own most pertinent use.

Track Templates: You can make track templates from existing tracks that will save the tracks and FX. It will also save the media items as well if you check the box to do that. It will also save your sends to any tracks that are included with the track templates saved.

Presets: These are presets for individual FX, and every FX has a preset box where you can save them.

FX Chains: These are really handy, you can save whole FX chains which are usually related to specific types of tracks or media items.

If you could explain a little better exactly what you want to do, either I or someone else will better be able to help you.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
mpitzel

Sure!

It's my understanding that project template files are to be used as you're setting up a session. You have all your track labeling, input routing, some effects all ready to go when you hit record. I'm wondering how I can efficiently make a kind of template—e.g. the room mic has this EQ curve and this line delay—and apply it to already extant projects.

I recently tracked an album with every song in the same project file. Afterwards I split each song into its own project file (vocals are being recorded remotely, in a different DAW—seemed like an easy way to ensure a uniform zero start time for each song once it comes time to composite). So, having one song mixed all nice, I'm hoping I can quickly replicate that mix on the other songs from the album, at least as a uniform starting point.

I didn't realize there was a way to save FX chains; I don't realize a lot about Reaper, or DAWs in general. I suppose, then, what I'm looking for is to save an entire mass of FX chains, every track of the project in the same order, and then set that up on another project.

Happy to clarify anything else if needed. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
skippertag

Quote:

Thank you!
You mean like that great feature in ProTools?

Although I've never really tried it, but I think it's possible via a Snapshot of your Template.

When you import a snapshot the system is searching for similar track names...and when there's none you can find the correct track manually.

So...when you are really consistent with your track naming it's supposed to be working like a charm. If not...it's a little more work, but it will work also..

I'm using snapshots e.g. for my Master Settings as they have changed a lot and my old projects are not working with the old settings anymore...

Import Snapshot for Master Track .... find Master Track...e voila... works..

So...I'm very sure it'll work for a whole project also..

Good Luck!
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
It's my understanding that project template files are to be used as you're setting up a session. You have all your track labeling, input routing, some effects all ready to go when you hit record. I'm wondering how I can efficiently make a kind of template—e.g. the room mic has this EQ curve and this line delay—and apply it to already extant projects.
Yeah, project templates are great for starting projects. I've got several of them setup for various projects. Actually I also make project templates for each of my clients once we've done a couple projects. But that's mostly for starting projects. It's after the projects are started that the "track templates" and "FX chains" are extremely useful.

Quote:
I recently tracked an album with every song in the same project file. Afterwards I split each song into its own project file (vocals are being recorded remotely, in a different DAW—seemed like an easy way to ensure a uniform zero start time for each song once it comes time to composite). So, having one song mixed all nice, I'm hoping I can quickly replicate that mix on the other songs from the album, at least as a uniform starting point.

I didn't realize there was a way to save FX chains; I don't realize a lot about Reaper, or DAWs in general. I suppose, then, what I'm looking for is to save an entire mass of FX chains, every track of the project in the same order, and then set that up on another project.
Yeah, based on what I think you're saying, I think FX chains are your ticket. You can save FX chains in any combination of FX you want, then simply load them into the FX window of any other tracks.

If you have any problems saving track templates or FX chains, let us know.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
matthewbarnhart

Quote:

It's super-annoying compared to Pro Tools' "Import Session Data" feature, but I do the following:

- save a track template that contains every track in the completed project
- save any Master Buss processing as an FX chain (... because I'm pretty sure you can't save the Master Buss as a track template? Maybe so...)

Then I 1) load the track template into the new song's project, 2) move the media items to the corresponding imported track, 3) add the plug-ins from the saved Master Buss FX chain, and then 4) delete the old, now-unused tracks.

You could save FX Chains for each track, but I find that really fucking tedious, plus it doesn't save sends/receives, fader levels, etc.
matthewbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
skippertag

my friendly friends :-)

FX Chains are great - for track by track tasks...

A snapshot sits on top of that - it contains everything including the FX Chains - if you really want to convert any project to YOUR template in very less time, take a look at the amazing sws snapshot function, it's really like working in ProTools or as so very often a little better ;-)

When you get used to it, it's such a time saver for everyone who doesn't have young guns preparing every mix session for the master engineer like DP ;-)

(btw. did I mention my the ProTools Theme that I've tweaked a little further? ;-); just in case you're interested - here you can find it:
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1961/P...ReaperThemeZip )
Old 09-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
matthewbarnhart

Thanks for reminding me of SWS Snapshots. I checked them out a long time ago and for some reason decided they weren't for me, I'll have to revisit them.
matthewbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
SubbaseDnB

im also interested in this
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbarnhart View Post
Thanks for reminding me of SWS Snapshots. I checked them out a long time ago and for some reason decided they weren't for me, I'll have to revisit them.
The problem with snapshots is they can be fiddly with bigger projects, I've had the occasion on big projects that it totally crashes Reaper. In fact I just recently had that problem.

You're right though, snapshots has a lot of potential, and if it works well for you that's great.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
skippertag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
The problem with snapshots is they can be fiddly with bigger projects, I've had the occasion on big projects that it totally crashes Reaper. In fact I just recently had that problem.

You're right though, snapshots has a lot of potential, and if it works well for you that's great.
It's like most everything with regards to the flexibility of Reaper - you gotta know what you wanna do and how you wanna do it, right? :-)

And then tweak the endless possibilities and then ask for good luck ;-)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
mpitzel

Thanks, all.

I'll make time to play around with the Snapshots feature, to confirm, but I think matthewbarnhart's suggestion is going to work best for this thing. (It was on his suggestion that I tracked this as one big project file to begin with, so it's kind of fitting.)
Old 04-01-2021, 05:15 AM   #13
David Carlyon

I would love this feature too. I want to insert a subproject from template, but there is no way to do that. So in lieu of that functionality I would like to import session data from my subproject template.
Dammit.
Will save all the tracks as a track preset and then import snapshots.
Still a long way around
David Carlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #14
drummerboy

MPLs session data import script might be interesting to some:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233358
drummerboy is offline   Reply With Quote