Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
DavidHagu2012
Human being with feelings

Default changing VST instrument attacking time according to the playing dynamics

Hi,
I use Reaper with Komplete 8 and Miroslav Philharmonic. In Complete 8 I like Abisynth "angles singing" and in Miroslav I like the full strings. One thing bothers me: the envelope of both instruments (ADSR) has a long attacking time, which is good when you want the sound to fade in slowly, but is bad when other notes already play and you want to insert new notes in a rather faster attacking time. I am not sure I describe it well, so I will just say that when I play multiple notes (something like 10 notes at the same time) with the Singing angles" and then switch the played notes to different notes (something like 10 notes at the same time), the "angles singing" seems like stopping the old notes and starting the new ones with the volume slowly rising. It is impossible to me to play like this, because the note switching should sound as continues. The piano pedal doesn’t help solving it. I believe the problem is the attacking time which doesn't know how to change its value according the notes switching speed and pressure (velocity).

Can anyone tell me how to solve this ? is it possible to control the attacking time (ADSR) according to my playing needs ?
DavidHagu2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHagu2012 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to solve this ? is it possible to control the attacking time (ADSR) according to my playing needs ?
I don't have either Komplete or Miroslav Philharmonic. But if you have access to ADSR evelopes on these instruments then you might be able to assign a CC controller to them.

In Kontakt you can get to the ahdsr envelope by opening the instrument for editing.

Be sure and select a CC controller that's not already in use.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

Some synths have built into them a way to modulate some of the enveloped parameters based on MIDI velocity. I'd be almost surprised if expensive packages like that won't do it. Otherwise, one or another of Reaper's modulation/automation options could probably get it working.

In your description, though, it sounds more like the real problem is the first set of notes cutting out too abrubtly. (?) This would be an issue on the Release end of the ADSR, and you might want to mess with that even if you still end up manipulating the Attack Time. Be aware, though, that many synths just can't play the exact same note at the same time. If any one of the 10 notes of the first "chord" is also in the second "chord", then that note will have to abort its Release procedure so that it can retrigger and start the Attack routine. It will cut off short and then fade in.

Again, some synths find ways around that, and I don't know yours specifically. If it turns out that yours is like I described, I think you might have to take that into account in your fingering and arranging. I thought that Philharmonic thing is supposed to have all kinds of things (key switches?) for manipulating articulations. I think if you're just pulling up a preset and banging away like it's a piano, you're wasting a lot of its potential. Read the manual and learn how to play THAT instrument.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
In your description, though, it sounds more like the real problem is the first set of notes cutting out too abrubtly. (?) This would be an issue on the Release end of the ADSR, and you might want to mess with that even if you still end up manipulating the Attack Time.
Yes, setting the Release to be a little longer might help. Also you may be reaching the maximum polyphony of the instrument itself. Most good VSTi instruments give you the ability to raise or lower the polyphony. I think the only down side to raising the polyphony is that it uses a little more CPU.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:43 AM   #5
DavidHagu2012

Default Thanks

Thanks, I'll try to experiment with what you said.
DavidHagu2012 is offline   Reply With Quote