Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
skipper1947
Human being with feelings

Default I must be accidentally changing the pitch, help.

I have a problem with a previously recorded track somehow increasing in pitch compared to a track I am trying to add. I have not changed the BPM, and -did- check "Preserve pitch when changing rate" (as a precaution). The playback rate is 0.826446, which is apparently the default<?> (I tested this with a new track).

I tuned my guitar against 3 different tuners, all of which agreed (I thought perhaps one of them was goofy, explaining the mystery). I always tune prior to each track recording.

This has happened with 2 songs (I have only done 2..) The previously recorded track is sharp. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I know it is pretty hard to know what wacky mistake a newbie is making without being there, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
skipper1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Banned

This may not solve your issue, but FYI: playback rate is per project, not per track. The default is 1.0. If you start a new project, it should be 1.0.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
RobertP

not sure if it helps but have a look here
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=126126

and here
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=136328
Old 03-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
skipper1947

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I skimmed through those two threads, and will go back and read them more carefully.

It is good to know the playback rate is supposed to be 1. I thought 0.826446 sounded a bit too precise, or something.

I tried changing the playback to 1 as an experiment. I discovered two things:
1) The metronome beat no longer matched the playback.
2) I wish I really COULD pick that fast.

I will start a new recording project and check that this setting starts out at 1, and stays there.

Thanks again. If I discover anything useful, I will report back.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
skipper1947

Default Fixed!

Thanks to your pointing me in the right direction, I found the problem.

I was looking at the track properties, where the playback rate was 0.826446 (still don't know how that got there). Changing this did not fix the issue.

However- I noticed there is another "Rate" field at the bottom of the track display window (to the right of the BPM field). This was set at 1.21. This must be the field everybody was discussing in those threads. I changed this to 1.0 and -presto- the track's pitch matches my guitar! I noticed the 1.21 setting "stuck" even when I created a new project, so if I had not manually set it back to 1.0, my problem would have carried over from project to project (explaining why I had the same problem in two recordings).

Changing this field also affected the metronome, which remained in sync with the recording.

The only downside; now I pick even slower than I thought I did..
Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
RobertP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1947 View Post

The only downside; now I pick even slower than I thought I did..
lol, nice one

Probably a good idea to set up an empty project, as you want it and save it as a 'New Project' template. I date the template I currently use and do not overwrite when I make changes.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
skipper1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc100 View Post
Probably a good idea to set up an empty project, as you want it and save it as a 'New Project' template. I date the template I currently use and do not overwrite when I make changes.
Good idea. I will do that.

I found out where the "Playback Rate" setting of 0.826446 in the track properties came from. I thought I had recorded at 110 BPM, but noticed it was currently set at 90. I changed it back to 110 and the "Playback Rate" for the track changed to 1.010101.

This is what I think I have learned.
There are 2 playback rate fields.
-- One is in the track properties that affects only that track. This will be changed by the program if you change the BPM setting to match the new BPM. You can also change this manually, which would not change the BPM, which explains why the metronome no long matched.
Changing this will not affect the pitch if you have the "Preserve pitch when changing rate" check box checked.

-- One is below the track display window, which affects the entire project. The current setting remains in effect even when creating a new project. This does NOT affect the playback rate field in the item's property's panel.
Changing this will affect the pitch REGARDLESS if you have an item's "Preserve pitch when changing rate" check box checked or not.
Curiously, changing this affects the metronome speed, but the BPM setting remains unchanged(?) I had thought the metronome speed was related to BPM, but I am pretty ignorant about this whole business.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
ashcat_lt

You're getting closer!

I don't think Tracks have their own playrates. Items do. You can, in fact, have several Items on a given track all with different play rates! Each item also has its own Preserve Pitch option.

Then there's the master playrate which controls the whole project. This affects everything in the project, and comes after essentially everything else. That is why your metronome runs fast. It is playing at 110, but then the Playrate is speeding it up. The BPM field always tells you what it would be if Playrate was 1. Note also that the Master Playrate also has a Preserve Pitch associated with it. I think if you Right-Click on or near the Playrate field. (?)
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
skipper1947

Wow. Thanks! I think I better make notes of this stuff.