Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
mountaincabbage
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to render out multiple tracks BUT only to the end of each tracks contents

Hello All,

I'm using Reaper to capture and export audio from multiple devices. Lets say I have 5 tracks:
Track A 1 min
Track B 2 min
Track C 3 min
Track D 4 min
Track E 5 min

I want to be able to render all tracks A-E to MP3 format but only to the end of each clips length. At the moment I can only work out how to render them to the length of the biggest track e.g. all of them would be 5 minutes.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Sean
mountaincabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Philbo King

Try R Click - drag to select the items, then set Render window to 'selected items'
Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
mountaincabbage

Thanks for your reply - doesn't think just make all the tracks the same length as the longest track?
Old 09-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
serr

If these are all finished mixes/masters/samples that you are trying to export to mp3s for some portable device, selecting them all and then choosing the item render option will do what you want.

If this were for making stems from a multitrack recording, you would want the lengths to be the same (or more that you'd want the starting points the same and simply wouldn't care about any silent padding on the ends). And you'd probably not want to render to a lossy format of course. Sounds like you're after the former though.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
JohnnyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincabbage View Post
Hello All,

I'm using Reaper to capture and export audio from multiple devices. Lets say I have 5 tracks:
Track A 1 min
Track B 2 min
Track C 3 min
Track D 4 min
Track E 5 min

I want to be able to render all tracks A-E to MP3 format but only to the end of each clips length. At the moment I can only work out how to render them to the length of the biggest track e.g. all of them would be 5 minutes.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Sean
Your question lacks a lot of detail, maybe some more detail and explaining what you are trying to accomplish would help someone answer your question:
Are all the tracks playing simultaneously, or in series?
Do they overlap at all?
Do you want the result to be 5 separate mp3 files or 1 mp3 file that includes all the tracks in the render.
I don't do this much so don't know all the ins and outs but there is a "render cue" in the render dialog to which you can add each track manually, then open the render cue and select the files you want to render and it will render them all in succession. There may be a way to place them all in the render cue all at once and then render them but there would need to be a way to name them etc I imagine which perhaps can be done automatically. Someone that does this more often can likely help once you explain what you are trying to achieve.
Good luck!

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 09-02-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: adding info.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
JohnnyMusic

To the OP: I tried what Serr suggests, for my own learning, and if you want the items rendered separately to different lengths all in one go it works.
Right click and select the items you want to render, in the arrange window.
Go to file> render and for the "source" dialog choose "selected media items", choose a folder to render them to, and select your output format. It then rendered each item to the folder and created a separate file each of a different length (the length of the item).
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:01 AM   #7
mountaincabbage

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. All is good with the selected media items except from the fact that a lot of my tracks are 1-2 hours long. There is no issue with me gluing the shorter clips together into one clip for the track, however for the larger items gluing does not appear to make them into one track. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2022, 08:03 PM   #8
MonkeyBars

The only way I've found to do this is to make a time selection manually for each track, select the track, and add its render to the Render Queue.

It would be great if we got "Length of selected track" as an option in the Bounds dropdown.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:40 AM   #9
heda

If it is one item per track you can use render selected items option in the render dialog. If not, then you could create one region for each track length and then render region matrix.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:08 AM   #10
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
If it is one item per track you can use render selected items option in the render dialog. If not, then you could create one region for each track length and then render region matrix.
Thanks for chiming in, heda! I completely spaced on the Region Render Matrix, amazing corner of Reaper and this situation is exactly what it was designed for.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:58 AM   #11
vitalker

Created a script for this exact task. Instead of Selected tracks Razor edit areas should be used as a source. You'll get all the tracks from the beginning of the project to the last item.

Code:
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock2(0) 

for i=0, reaper.CountTracks(0)-1 do
  tr = reaper.GetTrack(0, i)
  count_items = reaper.CountTrackMediaItems(tr)
  if count_items > 0 then
    item = reaper.GetTrackMediaItem( tr, count_items-1 )
    item_end = reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value( item, 'D_POSITION' ) + reaper.GetMediaItemInfo_Value( item, 'D_LENGTH' )
    reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(tr, 'P_RAZOREDITS', '0.0 '..tostring(item_end)..' ""', 1 )
  end
end

reaper.Undo_EndBlock2(0, 'vitalker razor edits: enclose everything between start of project and last item on all tracks', 1)
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
Here is another version, which selects everything between left edge of first item and right edge of last item:

Code:
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
reaper.Undo_BeginBlock2(0)
reaper.SelectAllMediaItems( 0, 1 )
reaper.Main_OnCommandEx(42630, 0, 0)

for i=0, reaper.CountTracks(0)-1 do
  tr = reaper.GetTrack(0, i)
  if reaper.CountTrackMediaItems(tr) > 0 then
    retval, razors = reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(tr, 'P_RAZOREDITS', '', 0 )
    first = razors:match('[%d.]+ ')
    last = razors:match('[%d.]+ ""$')
    reaper.GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(tr, 'P_RAZOREDITS', first..last, 1 )
  end
end

reaper.Undo_EndBlock2(0, 'vitalker razor edits: enclose everything between first and last item on all tracks', 1+4)
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:02 AM   #12
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Created a script for this exact task. Instead of Selected tracks Razor edit areas should be used as a source. You'll get all the tracks from the beginning of the project to the last item.

Here is another version, which selects everything between left edge of first item and right edge of last item:
A little gif showing what they do:

vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:22 AM   #13
Muschelbargeld

Default Render selected media items via Master

First select all the media items that you want to render seperately with their individual lenghts. For that, simply rightclick drag over the items, you want to be rendered, so that they are highlighted.

Then, open the render menu. in the dropdown menu "source" on the top left corner choose "selected media items via master".

"...via master" makes sure, every plugin of said media items individual track, groups, mix busses, reverb sends, all the way up to your master chain, will be included.
just make sure, that you choose a certain "tail" amount in your render menu, so reverbs or delays can fade out naturally, if you used any.

So for example: you have a number of tracks, all of them have just one media item on it, but all of them are sent through the same FX chain because its the same artist/voice actor for example, but speaking different sentences (voiceover session) and you dont want to waste any cpu by having the same plugin chain on every individual track.
this method enables you to render individual files with individual lenghts without alsways having to select custom time ranges for every render...

Hope that helps
Muschelbargeld is offline   Reply With Quote