Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 PM   #201
kris.audioplanet
Human being with feelings

I have had over 10 macs of all size and color. Just got the new Mac mini to complement my 2013 Mac Pro and Mac Book pro. I love using them. I see many of my friends using PCs with just as much success. It costs what it costs. Isn’t the discussion superfluous? We buy with our hearts, or should say, our conditioned minds. I am sure there is a PhD or two on the topic. If you have the money and like the mac, it’s ecosystem etc, get it. If you prefer PC go for that. I have a company making active pro monitors - APS. We make products we think are good, consult with loads of folks from the industry. Which doesn’t mean everyone will like them. Some do, some don’t. We keep getting suggestions about certain things that just aren’t our cup of tea. I think the same is true for most companies. They listen but they have to do it selectively. Otherwise nothing would get out there.
kris.audioplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #202
serr

Apparently if you are working in higher level video (the raw 4k HD streams from cameras consumers can't even buy and such), the new announced Mac Pro is attractive and competitive in price.

I didn't have an understanding of any of the background for what he was talking about mind you. Maybe he's missed something? Maybe dismissing something that doesn't make the cut for him (even if you have to pay through the nose for it)? I hate video...

But he tells me you wouldn't be able to configure a system like this around the new 32 (or however many it has) core i17 (or whatever it is) CPU with this architecture and get OSX running on it for any less money.

Got to admit it looks like a true pro build of a machine. First pro computer out of Apple since 2012. I still don't like anything I've seen out of them since Steve Jobs died. Still planning on jumping ship to Linux and DIY builds moving forward. Only about half way into the life of my current Macs at present so plenty of time to fuss over all that.

My system drive in my newest Mac (2011 MBP) is named "Studio Earth IX". So... looks like I'm up to machine #9 now myself. If I buy a #10 it's going to be a 2nd 2009/2010 Mac Pro. I think #1 was a Power Mac 9600 around 1997.

Something like this might bring me back:

MacBook Pro
- overhauled cooling
- 3.something GHz CPU at least (with boost speeds up to 4 or 5)
- if that first point was taken seriously... then maybe we can talk about a 2nd higher powered GPU
- 2 M.2 slots
- 1 2.5" SATA bay
- bring back all the cost reduced features lost like the Magsafe power port, screen shield, and functional and elegant keyboard.
- Absolutely no CIA level security features designed to brick the machine at the slightest hint of service or mods by any 3rd party.
- 2 choices for RAM: Either slots or solder the max supported RAM to the board (and it BETTER not ever fail - so get your reliability testing on! - and no price gouging! Treat it as an aside.) Probably should go for slots.

And then a version of the new Mac Pro without the security crippling.

Then start putting some time into finishing releases of OSX! Go to every other year release if needed. Let's get back to where 10.6.8 left off please!

Last edited by serr; 07-25-2019 at 07:39 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #203
UberBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

Something like this might bring me back:

MacBook Pro
- overhauled cooling
- 3.something GHz CPU at least (with boost speeds up to 4 or 5)
- if that first point was taken seriously... then maybe we can talk about a 2nd higher powered GPU
- 2 M.2 slots
- 1 2.5" SATA bay
- bring back all the cost reduced features lost like the Magsafe power port, screen shield, and functional and elegant keyboard.
- Absolutely no CIA level security features designed to brick the machine at the slightest hint of service or mods by any 3rd party.
- 2 choices for RAM: Either slots or solder the max supported RAM to the board (and it BETTER not ever fail - so get your reliability testing on! - and no price gouging! Treat it as an aside.) Probably should go for slots.

Then start putting some time into finishing releases of OSX! Go to every other year release if needed. Let's get back to where 10.6.8 left off please!
This is why I'm leaving Apple computer products. Louis Rossman has a new vid up on a bricked MacBook pro that Apple wouldn't repair. I love the OS and I've had good luck with my iMacs but if I can't repair, or get it repaired I'm not interested.
UberBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #204
chip mcdonald

Quote:
I

Right away though...
This T2 chip business. It sounds like the M.2 SSDs for example are going to be proprietary and NOT standard M.2! Everything will be geared towards preventing 3rd party repair. The marketing brochure calls this security. So... a weird machine both aimed at raw 4k & 8k video editing and CIA agent work simultaneously. Or something. Preventing 3rd party repair basically.
They want to kill the repair business, as they've been trying to do for years. They want to have Apple Bozos at the "Genius" bar charge you full price for a new computer or phone when it can actually be repaired.

Watch enough of Louis' videos and it becomes apparent - they're deliberately making planned obsolescence products, or their engineers are incompetent.

Apple products are perfectly flawless, except when they're not.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #205
UberBird

None of the vids are playing

They're definitely going after 3rd party repair. You can't even post about it on the Apple Forum. They threatened to ban me. I love Logic X, but if I buy a MacBook and it's a brick because of a T2 failure or "water damage", high humidity can trigger the sensors in there, then I'm going to be livid when they refuse to repair it.

Last edited by UberBird; 08-04-2019 at 08:38 AM.
UberBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:37 AM   #206
blumpy

Default Ex mac Fan boy

I was a mac fan boy for years but I switched to PC 3 years ago because there wasn't a powerful enough workstation for my needs.

That's changed with the new Mac Pro, but it's ultra expensive for what you're getting. frankly Windows 10 is just as good.... plus I love being able to use my workstation for gaming and I can fix and swap out and upgrade parts as desired.

I'd consider switching back if Apple wasn't ditching the x86 architecture, but I see no point in going back considering. Maybe if they brew up their own workstation class CPU.... but until then I sticking to windows.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:44 AM   #207
grinder

One friend I have just got a new Mac Pro for work he started it up for me.....
My old XP would have beat it.
I could not believe that my friend could tell me it was fast!

Someone is telling porkies to people.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:58 AM   #208
blumpy

Default Mac v PC

At the end of the day Macs and PC are nearly the same thing, it's just the operating system that's different. The new mac pro has some interesting graphic card innovations but nothing that can't be done on a PC and certainly nothing that changes how a music workstation functions.

Having all the I/O on PCIe is interesting but there's so many different options on PC for motherboards you can pretty much get exactly what you want.

Everyone I know that needed an updated workstation ran a hackintosh. Now they can run a new Mac Pro.... which will be obsolete in 2 years. I can't imagine spending $15k-20k on a Mac Pro when I could have bought a higher core-count PC and saved $5k or more.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #209
blumpy

Default Apple

I'd also like to point out that AMD is ditching Vega for Navi for video chips so the Apple video cards will be obsolete even before the new Mac Pro is released.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #210
cyrano

Quote:
All your others points are valid too. But this is the one that certainly won't come.

It could be time for a Hackintosh for audio. But why not just freeze on the last OS your hardware runs? Or the last one you deem workable. My life is much easier with an old setup for audio. Less portable, of course.

Hey, I still use a Powerbook to play DVDs, occasionally...

As I'm tied to the RME, Linux is not a choice yet. Can't live without TotalMix.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #211
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
All your others points are valid too. But this is the one that certainly won't come.

It could be time for a Hackintosh for audio. But why not just freeze on the last OS your hardware runs? Or the last one you deem workable. My life is much easier with an old setup for audio. Less portable, of course.

Hey, I still use a Powerbook to play DVDs, occasionally...

As I'm tied to the RME, Linux is not a choice yet. Can't live without TotalMix.
Yeah, I'm not exactly in a bad place!
My hardware literally runs the latest OSX (and back to 10.6 if and as I wish). It easily has another 10 years in it if I want it to. That will depend entirely on any new innovations that might obsolete it before then. I hope that happens actually! The last 10 years have been a coast aside form the SSD - which makes many already 10 year old machines still current.

If I were going to build a new tower platform machine today it would be DIY with Hackintosh/Linux. Not sure what to do for a laptop right now. My choice is still a 2011 or 2012 Macbook Pro for that.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #212
cyrano

Lenovo Thinkpad?

I have an old Panasonic ThoughBook lying around. Played with the idea of putting one or more RPis in there. The only thing to weed out, is a suitable HDMI to screen driver board. I'm sure someone in China makes one. Just haven't found it yet
Old 08-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #213
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Pretty much the same price for the same specs, PCs vs Macs.
Of course cheap PCs don't last as long a expensive Macs.
I'm still running my 2011 Mini. In that time frame I've collected a literal stack of PCs and laptops.

But OSX has changed, and I fear not for the better. The whole OS is now geared towards getting you to plug your iPhone into the damn thing. And as much as I love my Macs, I despise iPhones.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #214
superblonde.org

the planned-obsolescence has gotten too extreme lately.

I went to the local library to work on a couple business documents I wrote on my home mac. the library mac wouldn't open the Pages or Numbers docs: "newer version of app is needed to open document."

that is total nonsense obsolescence. The library mac's are only 1 generation behind the current version (prior os, prior os's apps). what could have possibly improved so much in Pages or Numbers to mandate that new documents can't be opened with older software versions. Of course when saving data there is no option offered for what format to save the file as. There is only one option: "The" document type.

iMovie also had a similar recent switchover except worse. iMovie has always been horrible because it forces media to be converted into iMovie-only format which takes tons of storage space and locks the media inside an apple-only container. Now the iMovie app won't be able to open fairly recent iMovie libraries or some type of compatibility nonsense.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #215
Vasily

Quote:
Lenovo Thinkpad?
nah, not really good now.
writing you from an X250 with a semi-broken keyboard.
my previous ThinkPad ended in 2013 (and it was a 2011 model) and no authorized or non-authorized service was able to fix it.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #216
Ideosound

Quote:
You won't be able to run 10.15 on a Hackintosh.
People are already running 10.15 beta on Hackintosh systems. There are a few good years of running Mac OS yet on PC hardware I think.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #217
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
People are already running 10.15 beta on Hackintosh systems. There are a few good years of running Mac OS yet on PC hardware I think.
The beta isn't complete. Or Apple might just "allow" Hackintoshes for a while. Once the full plan is rolled out, Hackintoshes are gone. These security things have been used in MDM management for a few years now. With FV2, the various system keys and dependency on the net to allow installation, that's what Apple is aiming at. No key from Apple means no startup.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #218
blumpy

Quote:
The beta isn't complete. Or Apple might just "allow" Hackintoshes for a while. Once the full plan is rolled out, Hackintoshes are gone. These security things have been used in MDM management for a few years now. With FV2, the various system keys and dependency on the net to allow installation, that's what Apple is aiming at. No key from Apple means no startup.
Yup. I think Apple has allowed Hackintosh to exist because they know they haven't had a modern pro workstation solution for half a decade. Now that they have the Mac Pro coming, they'll likely lock that down.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 AM   #219
Ideosound

Quote:
The beta isn't complete, true, but if it runs fine in beta there's a strong chance the final release and subsequent updates will all run fine. A lot of people in the hack community reckon we are safe for another 5 or so years. This whole moving to ARM chips talk is probably only for mobile devices like macbooks. Since the new Mac Pro is on Intel. Obviously, if Apple creates something that does suddenly stop new installs then people can still use working OS versions for years later on their hacks. The T2 chip, will probably make things difficult but there are some very clever and dedicated hackers that will just see that as a fun challenge to get past it. Everything else so far has been bypassed.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #220
blumpy

Quote:
This whole moving to ARM chips talk is probably only for mobile devices like macbooks. Since the new Mac Pro is on Intel. Obviously, if Apple creates something that does suddenly stop new installs then people can still use working OS versions for years later on their hacks. The T2 chip, will probably make things difficult but there are some very clever and dedicated hackers that will just see that as a fun challenge to get past it. Everything else so far has been bypassed.
I'd imagine you're correct that Apple will switch the laptop and mini to ARM first, but I'm sure they're interested in ARM based server processors for Mac Pro and iMac Pro and do not want to fragment MacOS for too long. They'll likely want to make the transition as quickly as possible as they did when switching from RISC to Intel. It's kind of funny that they're switching back to RISC from CISC. That said, it will be a few years until they're ready to switch desktops over besides the mini.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #221
shanabit

Last Mac for me here, bye bye Apple
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #222
superblonde.org

mac mini with apple ARM will be amazing. lower power, smaller footprint, more efficient use of RAM. probably better balance of multi-core / single-core performance. better security against software holes.

the naysayers: "but i cant run my video games, wahh"

The bigger transition problem could be the file system when macos and ipados merge. it seems the intent to have no more per-file access to data in an os anymore.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #223
analogexplosions

My system is a dual booting hackintosh (Windows 10 on an NVME drive and macOS Mojave on an SSD).

My macOS install works perfectly and I currently have exactly zero issues with it. That being said, I rarely boot into macOS anymore. I'm preferring Windows 10. A decade ago, I would have never considered Windows for my work. Now, the Apple ecosystem just isn't what it used to be. They still have some flashy features that are crazy nice, like Aggregate Audio Devices, CoreAudio in general, and iOS device integration.

I'm still preferring Windows 10 though.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #224
superblonde.org

Which voice assistant do you prefer, siri or the microsoft one?
Thats probably what will matter in the future, because a voice assistant is going to take over many more tasks in the future.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #225
superblonde.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumpy View Post
Yup. I think Apple has allowed Hackintosh to exist because they know they haven't had a modern pro workstation solution for half a decade. Now that they have the Mac Pro coming, they'll likely lock that down.
Or maybe apple allows hackintosh because they want to avoid antitrust regulation. intel "allowed" amd to exist for decades on purpose because they needed another company to "take" about 8-10% of the market so as not to be labelled a monopoly and forcibly split by regulators.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #226
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
Or maybe apple allows hackintosh because they want to avoid antitrust regulation. intel "allowed" amd to exist for decades on purpose because they needed another company to "take" about 8-10% of the market so as not to be labelled a monopoly and forcibly split by regulators.
Apple only makes up about 5% of the market. Anti-trust issues are about as far from their problems as you can find. Hackintosh exists because it is a tiny, tiny slice of their pie, and it would cost them more to stop it than it would just to ignore it.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #227
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
My system is a dual booting hackintosh (Windows 10 on an NVME drive and macOS Mojave on an SSD).

My macOS install works perfectly and I currently have exactly zero issues with it. That being said, I rarely boot into macOS anymore. I'm preferring Windows 10. A decade ago, I would have never considered Windows for my work. Now, the Apple ecosystem just isn't what it used to be. They still have some flashy features that are crazy nice, like Aggregate Audio Devices, CoreAudio in general, and iOS device integration.

I'm still preferring Windows 10 though.
You are the opposite of myself then, I have a dual boot Hack and I use mac OS Mojave about 95% of the time for audio work. Whilst Win 10 is pretty decent and most of my apps are cross platform, Win 10 still feels a bit clunky. Using files in Finder is so much quicker and more fluid for me. Dark mode is lush, core audio is better. But it's whatever you prefer and completely subjective. I don't really use the Apple ecosystem, I have an android phone since the hardware is better (like PCs and why a Hack is so appealing to me running mac OS on upgradeable hardware). However, for me there isn't really a lot of difference at all between iOS and Android, whereas Win 10 still has a fair bit of catching up to do for me in regards to desktop systems.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #228
analogexplosions

Quote:
You are the opposite of myself then, I have a dual boot Hack and I use mac OS Mojave about 95% of the time for audio work. Whilst Win 10 is pretty decent and most of my apps are cross platform, Win 10 still feels a bit clunky. Using files in Finder is so much quicker and more fluid for me. Dark mode is lush, core audio is better. But it's whatever you prefer and completely subjective. I don't really use the Apple ecosystem, I have an android phone since the hardware is better (like PCs and why a Hack is so appealing to me running mac OS on upgradeable hardware). However, for me there isn't really a lot of difference at all between iOS and Android, whereas Win 10 still has a fair bit of catching up to do for me in regards to desktop systems.
Yeah, as far as aesthetics and general OS usage go, macOS is still better. I do prefer Finder to Windows Explorer too.

I'm sure it'll get better over the years, but macOS's Metal is my big thing they have to work out. Graphically, apps like Reaper, Ableton Live, Cubase/Nuendo all operate much more smoothly on Windows with FAR fewer graphical hangups. Zooming and session navigation is so much more smooth.

First party apps on macOS like FCPX and Logic run super smoothly, but that's because Metal is the only visual rendering system they have to bother with I'm sure.

I also have been doing a lot of remote work recently and I use Discord for real-time collaboration with clients. Screen sharing is unusable on macOS because there is no Metal support for Discord on macOS, but works very smoothly on Windows.

So that's what's keeping me on Windows instead of macOS right now. Maybe it'll change in the future?!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 AM   #229
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
Graphically, apps like Reaper, Ableton Live, Cubase/Nuendo all operate much more smoothly on Windows with FAR fewer graphical hangups. Zooming and session navigation is so much more smooth.
Are you using a dedicated gpu? Is it Nvidia? As their web drivers are pretty bad to be honest. Some version releases are better than others and of course no Mojave support. I swapped to an AMD Gpu and see no graphical errors or have any slowness in navigation or zooming etc. I also use Live and that's running great. If apps aren't using metal then they would be using opencl I guess? That should run fine anyway.

Or maybe your config file isn't quite right? I switched to the iMacPro1,1 smbios and it is totally the best model ID if you have a dedicated GPU to force hardware acceleration. igpu never really worked that well for me (for quicksync encoding) even when I was sure it was set up correctly.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #230
analogexplosions

Quote:
Are you using a dedicated gpu? Is it Nvidia? As their web drivers are pretty bad to be honest. Some version releases are better than others and of course no Mojave support. I swapped to an AMD Gpu and see no graphical errors or have any slowness in navigation or zooming etc. I also use Live and that's running great. If apps aren't using metal then they would be using opencl I guess? That should run fine anyway.

Or maybe your config file isn't quite right? I switched to the iMacPro1,1 smbios and it is totally the best model ID if you have a dedicated GPU to force hardware acceleration. igpu never really worked that well for me (for quicksync encoding) even when I was sure it was set up correctly.
RX 580 here (iMac 17,1 SMBIOS). Acceleration is working correctly, it still just doesn't feel as snappy as it does on Windows. This is in line with my experience on actual Macs too though. Performance in Reaper was AWFUL in the GUI department until some of the recent pre-releases where there is now Metal support. It's so much better, but still lags a bit compared to running Reaper on Windows though.

GUI performance is kind of a minor gripe though compared to my grief with trying to screenshare sessions over Discord on macOS. Since Discord doesn't use Metal at all, GPU acceleration is completely disabled on macOS and that's become such an integral part of my workflow when working with remote clients.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:52 PM   #231
AudioLemon

Something that is often overlooked is that Apple make hardware. In my job I deal with over 60 Macs and it is well recognized by management that Macs last longer and require significantly less maintenance. They last. They look good. They work well. They are the industry standard. They are more expensive initially but given the amount of flawless hours you get out of them it is worth it.
AudioLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #232
blumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioLemon View Post
Something that is often overlooked is that Apple make hardware. In my job I deal with over 60 Macs and it is well recognized by management that Macs last longer and require significantly less maintenance. They last. They look good. They work well. They are the industry standard. They are more expensive initially but given the amount of flawless hours you get out of them it is worth it.
I would agree that that used to be the case but Apple is using all the same parts as everyone else. They haven't made a workstation class system in nearly a decade and their "pro" models of iMac and Macbook Pro suffer from thermal throttling and have/will have GPU issues after a few years of heave usage because of poor ventilation in their design.

The upcoming Mac Pro will be different but right from the start, it's outdated hardware. Vega is dead. Their trash can Mac Pro had the same issues. A 2013 computer had a 2011 processor and 2011 processor socket.

More importantly.... anyone running Catalina in a pro-audio video system? No. Updating the OS puts you out of work. That's the kind of windows nonsense that used to occur that made people switch to Mac OS. Now it's the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I might switch back to Mac in the future. I was a fan boy for 20 years but currently I don't see an advantage to being on Mac.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #233
bjohn

Quote:
The upcoming Mac Pro will be different but right from the start, it's outdated hardware. Vega is dead. Their trash can Mac Pro had the same issues. A 2013 computer had a 2011 processor and 2011 processor socket.
This part of the argument has never made sense to me. Why should it matter if hardware is "outdated?" If it does the job and does it efficiently enough for your purposes, that's what matters, and it's hard to imagine you'd lose work to the competition if your files take 10 seconds longer to render. What you're buying with the Mac Pro is the operating system and the integrated package, the so-called "walled garden" that ensures everything works together and you don't spend hours of your time troubleshooting incompatibilities.

There are plenty of valid reasons to go with Windows instead of Mac, but I don't think this is one of them. I totally agree about Catalina, though (speaking of incompatibilities)...I'm using it on my test machine but for my production computer I'll wait a few years to upgrade, if ever. Ultimately I'm moving to Linux (which I've used for years), but for now the Mac platform still works well for me.

Last edited by bjohn; 11-02-2019 at 08:13 AM.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #234
Vasily

earlier in this thread I complained about I cannon find a Thunderbolt-enabled (and really working) laptop under 1.5kg other than Mac.

I've found one since. ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th gen works for me yet.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #235
blumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
This part of the argument has never made sense to me. Why should it matter if hardware is "outdated?" If it does the job and does it efficiently enough for your purposes, that's what matters, and it's hard to imagine you'd lose work to the competition if your files take 10 seconds longer to render. What you're buying with the Mac Pro is the operating system and the integrated package, the so-called "walled garden" that ensures everything works together and you don't spend hours of your time troubleshooting incompatibilities.

There are plenty of valid reasons to go with Windows instead of Mac, but I don't think this is one of them. I totally agree about Catalina, though (speaking of incompatibilities)...I'm using it on my test machine but for my production computer I'll wait a few years to upgrade, if ever. Ultimately I'm moving to Linux (which I've used for years), but for now the Mac platform still works well for me.
I understand. If your employees are more efficient with MacOS... then run Mac computers. I just don't think there's any stability or compatibility advantages on Apple products like there used to be. It's all the same thing. All of their parts are standard PC parts.

As for outdated hardware... it certainly matters to some degree. You wouldn't go out and buy a PowerPC Mac for the price of a new MacPro because it's more stable.

A 15% performance increase in a GPU is significant. If you're running a render farm, that means every 7th day is free compared to the alternative.

The same stands for CPU...Personally, if my choice is spending $20k on a Mac Pro vs a $10k on a Threadripper 3 PC it's a no-brainer. That's a significant amount of money to get half the processing performance. But I build my own workstations and servers now. Obviously with Apple that's not an option but I certainly never questioned their build quality, but the reliability of those parts (with the exception of poor thermal designs/builds) is the same in PC or Mac.... it's the same thing.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #236
bjohn

Quote:
I just don't think there's any stability or compatibility advantages on Apple products like there used to be. It's all the same thing. All of their parts are standard PC parts.
Yes, that's a good point. I've never bought Macs because of their hardware specs, but despite it: the point for me has always been the operating system, which is still more stable and reliable for me than Windows and thus allows me to be more productive.

I refuse to buy Mac laptops because they're not user-upgradeable or repairable; same was true for recent desktops until the soon-to-be-released Mac Pro but at least the desktops typically last a long time so I can justify it (I'm using Mac desktops from 2013 and 2014, running the latest version of DaVinci Resolve on the Mac Pro "trashcan," and everything's very smooth and responsive).
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #237
SmajjL

If i'm lucky and have the right components let's say, can I just buy the OS and try it/use it simply or is it not that simple?
Is it "allowed" by Apple if I succeed to install it on a non Mac if I bought the OS.
Hmm..
Mac-world is alien to me, sorry for my ignorance.

SmajjL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #238
chip mcdonald

Windows puts every driver in the engine bay of the car.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #239
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
If i'm lucky and have the right components let's say, can I just buy the OS and try it/use it simply or is it not that simple?
Is it "allowed" by Apple if I succeed to install it on a non Mac if I bought the OS.
Hmm..
Mac-world is alien to me, sorry for my ignorance.
The OS is free. The license doesn't permit installing on anything else than Apple hardware, but you can run it virtualised without breaking the license, as long as you virtualise it on Apple hardware.

There is, however an open source version of it, called Darwin. Doesn't have the same gui, but it's pretty much the same under the hood.

https://github.com/puredarwin

https://opensource.apple.com/
Old 11-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #240
Xenakios

Quote:
There is, however an open source version of it, called Darwin. Doesn't have the same gui, but it's pretty much the same under the hood.
It's completely useless for running existing macOs softwares like Reaper, though.