Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #81
chmaha
Human being with feelings

It's been a long day at the office. If you re-sync ReaPack you'll see I'm at v2.0 for the BethHarmon_Classical metapackage. I've been bumping versions because of cool new functionality and a few bugfixes.

NEW: Complete 3-point edit abilities, either via inserting (ripple pasting) or replacing (pasting the whole length between the source markers without ripple). All include the usual short crossfades. Use both source markers and just the destination IN marker.

You'll notice there's a new 3-point edit toggle button for switching between "insert" and "replace" modes. If you don't want the custom toolbar you can always toggle via the script in the action list (or via a shortcut).

[Geeky note:I also replaced any references to numerical script IDs as I wasn't sure whether they translate well to other systems. So whenever I reference one of my own scripts, it is performed with a reaper.NamedCommandLookup to be absolutely sure. For all I know, it's the only way you are supposed to do it! My one assumption is that built-in + SWS/S&M actions stay the same numerically.]

Well, enjoy! I'll be making some more videos soon to explain the new stuff.

Last edited by chmaha; 05-07-2022 at 04:16 PM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:39 AM   #82
chmaha

And a v2.1 update:
  • Crossfade editor view now remembers your previous zoom level before you entered so it makes getting back to what you were doing super easy. Works by saving a two-line temporary file to my scripts folder. It is deleted on exiting the fade view.
  • When opened, Crossfade editor zooms and centers on the crossfade. Zooming in and out is easy via the mouse wheel
  • Crossfade editor icon (as part of my custom classical toolbar) is now a toggle (green=active)
  • Classical.RPP no longer needs start-up actions as I have found a way to initiate toggle scripts on first use.

Not too shabby (hiding the TCP by double-clicking on the resizer bar):

https://i2.paste.pics/GUPYS.png

If you squint it could be Sequoia. Works really well!

Enjoy!

Last edited by chmaha; 05-04-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:20 AM   #83
chmaha

Some more videos fresh from the editing room:

Last edited by chmaha; 05-05-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #84
Sumalc

Thank you so much for all your hard work and involvement in these very interesting videos.
A lot of hard work behind it all...
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:32 PM   #85
TomL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Not too shabby (hiding the TCP by double-clicking on the resizer bar):
Now there is a thing I didn't know.

Last edited by TomL; 05-05-2022 at 02:38 PM.
TomL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #86
chmaha

And one more video before I go to sleep:

Just because you can use my tools to record, edit and master a symphony orchestra with multiple main pairs, section and spot microphones doesn't mean we should forget about the engineer who likes to keep things simple with a single stereo pair (or single mono channel, for that matter). In my guide and previous videos I've stressed the need for folder tracks, but, like all things in life, there's always an exception to the rule.

Last edited by chmaha; 05-05-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:02 PM   #87
bjohn

Quote:
Just because you can use my tools to record, edit and master a symphony orchestra with multiple main pairs, section and spot microphones doesn't mean we should forget about the engineer who likes to keep things simple with a single stereo pair (or single mono channel, for that matter).
Ah, the Todd Garfinkle edition! He has an entire record label (MA Recordings) of beautiful albums recorded with just a stereo pair. Glad to see all the tools work for this too.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:17 PM   #88
bjohn

Hi Beth,

I had previously downloaded your scripts directly from your github before you set up your script package for Reapack. I tried to switch to Reapack and import your repository tonight but ran into a snag right away when I tried to import your index.xml into Reapack. I pasted in the URL in the import window and got this error message:

The received file is invalid: Error=XML_ERROR_PARSING_ATTRIBUTE ErrorID=7 (0x7) Line number =15:XMLElement name=link https://github.com/ElizabethHarmon/R...ster/index.xml

Was this user error or do you need to fix something?

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:51 PM   #89
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
Hi Beth,

I had previously downloaded your scripts directly from your github before you set up your script package for Reapack. I tried to switch to Reapack and import your repository tonight but ran into a snag right away when I tried to import your index.xml into Reapack. I pasted in the URL in the import window and got this error message:

The received file is invalid: Error=XML_ERROR_PARSING_ATTRIBUTE ErrorID=7 (0x7) Line number =15:XMLElement name=link https://github.com/ElizabethHarmon/R...ster/index.xml

Was this user error or do you need to fix something?

Thanks.
User error, I think

Copy this link to import: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/El...ster/index.xml

It's the one from the user guide, first post in the thread and in the video descriptions. I think you were trying to import a github link vs the raw index itself. I've done the same thing myself with another repository

Last edited by chmaha; 05-06-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:57 AM   #90
bjohn

Quote:
User error, I think
Ah, got it, thanks!
Old 05-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #91
bjohn

Sorry to be so dense, but I just spent 45 minutes trying to figure out how to download the updated keymap file and am stymied. I remember being able to download it as a file before and importing it into Reaper using the action list, but when I click on the link in your github all it shows me is the code; I see no way to download a keymap file that I can import into Reaper.

When I click on your "complete key map" link in github it takes me to this page: https://github.com/ElizabethHarmon/R...e.ReaperKeyMap

How do I download the keymap file from there?

I think you'll need to assume that many of your potential users have never used github before and might need a bit more handholding in the manual. ;-)
Old 05-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #92
chmaha

Quote:
Sorry to be so dense, but I just spent 45 minutes trying to figure out how to download the updated keymap file and am stymied. I remember being able to download it as a file before and importing it into Reaper using the action list, but when I click on the link in your github all it shows me is the code; I see no way to download a keymap file that I can import into Reaper.

When I click on your "complete key map" link in github it takes me to this page: https://github.com/ElizabethHarmon/R...e.ReaperKeyMap

How do I download the keymap file from there?

I think you'll need to assume that many of your potential users have never used github before and might need a bit more handholding in the manual. ;-)
Three ways I recommend:

1) Just download the whole zip as follows (easy):

or,

2) press on the "raw" button then copy-paste into a new file:

or, more advanced,

Git clone the repo onto your hard drive:

Last edited by chmaha; 05-06-2022 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #93
bjohn

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #94
chmaha

Quote:
Thanks!
No worries. I've also added a release package so people can download directly here: https://github.com/ElizabethHarmon/R...iting/releases. Click on one of the archives under "assets" (both contain the same files)...

BTW, releases always live on the right side of the Github repository page:

I've also updated the first post with a direct link. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by chmaha; 05-06-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:02 AM   #95
chmaha

For those who like using the classical editing tools keyboard shortcuts but just need a minty green 3-point indicator/toggle to add to the stock toolbar:

You can find it in the updated toolbar_icons.zip file.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #96
bjohn

Quote:
For those who like using the classical editing tools keyboard shortcuts but just need a minty green 3-point indicator/toggle to add to the stock toolbar:
Nice! I felt the toolbar was a little painful on the eyes, this is a good improvement.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #97
chmaha

I've added a minty fade editor toggle indicator too:

I'll re-do the other icons over time...

Also, not sure how it happened but I just had to fix the crossfade editor exit zoom. v2.2 is up...Happy re-syncing!
Old 05-07-2022, 11:52 AM   #98
chmaha

Here's a complete overhaul:

You can download the updated ReaperMenu and "minty" icons files from my repo!

Last edited by chmaha; 05-07-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:49 PM   #99
bjohn

Quote:
Here's a complete overhaul:
Awesome, that looks lovely and something I'd be happy to install!
Old 05-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #100
chmaha

Quote:
Awesome, that looks lovely and something I'd be happy to install!
Great. Don't hesitate to give more feedback about this and anything else.

Last edited by chmaha; 05-07-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:09 PM   #101
bjohn

Given your scripting prowess, there's one feature related to this that would likely be welcome among people using classical workflows: the ability to make spectral edits across multiple tracks instead of having to tediously reapply them manually on each affected track.

This has been a feature request in Reaper for a while but I don't believe it has been implemented and would be especially useful in cases where there's a sound to remove (audience cough, foot-thump, etc.) that can be heard on all tracks. Izotope RX can do this; I haven't checked to see if Acon Acoustica can, but if Reaper could it would make it even more practical.

You'd probably have to go back and fine-tune the edits on individual tracks since the sounds will likely be quieter on some than others and you may end up over-attenuating, but it would definitely save time, especially on projects with larger track counts.

I don't know if it's even feasible in Reaper, but seeing as you like a good challenge...
Old 05-07-2022, 02:11 PM   #102
chmaha

Quote:
Given your scripting prowess, there's one feature related to this that would likely be welcome among people using classical workflows: the ability to make spectral edits across multiple tracks instead of having to tediously reapply them manually on each affected track.
Hmm, this definitely seems like it should be possible! You are right, I love a good challenge

Last edited by chmaha; 05-07-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #103
EpicSounds

Hi. this is interesting stuff.

Has the name been explained?
Old 05-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #104
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Hi. this is interesting stuff.

Has the name been explained?
I'm not following! My name or the name of the tools? I would have enjoyed using the name "Scythe: Classical Editing Tools for REAPER", but, I think the "scythe" part is taken by an unrelated project

Might you be interested in doing a video about the tools?

Last edited by chmaha; 05-07-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #105
chmaha

Now that v6.57 has dropped, if you enjoy working with vertical razor edits of track folders, you can now keep your ripple edit mode set to ripple-per-track and set the following mouse modifier:

Now all your existing edits ahead of the razor edit stay put. Lovely stuff!
Old 05-07-2022, 05:26 PM   #106
Huge

Really beautiful work Beth. I appreciate all the time you took into the tutorials as well. Though I am not editing classical music (my boss won't let me!) I am editing conversational podcasts. On one of your tutorials, you say:

"Notice that when you razor select a folder, the selection extends down to the children too. That' the TJF script in action."

I've been searching how to do this. Can you let me know what settings are changed to accomplish this?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:48 AM   #107
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Really beautiful work Beth. I appreciate all the time you took into the tutorials as well. Though I am not editing classical music (my boss won't let me!) I am editing conversational podcasts. On one of your tutorials, you say:

"Notice that when you razor select a folder, the selection extends down to the children too. That' the TJF script in action."

I've been searching how to do this. Can you let me know what settings are changed to accomplish this?
Thanks! With regards the TJF script, that's no longer required. Check out my razor editing update video. The script to extend the razor selection down to the children is included in my metapackage. It will start automatically when you run the "create source groups" script but if you don't use that or for some reason it isn't working, you can always manually trigger it in the action list:

EDIT: A new video...

Last edited by chmaha; 05-08-2022 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:44 AM   #108
bjohn

I finally got to work on this with some real files this morning, and it's brilliant! I prefer the horizontal workflow so that's what I used.

I did run into a couple of snags and have a few questions:

1. I had recorded my main pair (months ago) as separate wav files. It seems there are several ways to create a stereo track from those (for my top folder); I tried the "free item positioning" method and panning the items, which worked although it was a little laborious. What do you recommend? I recorded these on a field recorder (MixPre 6). I notice all your files (even the spots) seem to be actual stereo wav files rather than mono files...did you render in place?

2. I left a bit of space at the beginning and a bit of space between takes, but the initial "prepare takes for editing" using the T key did not have the expected result. Instead of each take having a different colour, only a couple of items changed colour, one item on one take and another item on another take. Nothing else changed.

3. On my laptop (which is what I'm using to experiment with this; I did save my previous configuration), installing the scripts seems to have disabled my ability to drag the playhead with the trackpad. I don't have a mouse handy to see if that works, but can you think of any reason why trackpad-based dragging no longer works? I can still use trackpad-based dragging in the crossfade editor and other things, but I can't drag the playhead using the trackpad, which obviously isn't very workable.

Other than that, everything seems to be working well and very efficiently!

Last edited by bjohn; 05-08-2022 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:50 AM   #109
chmaha

Quote:
I finally got to work on this with some real files this morning, and it's brilliant! I prefer the horizontal workflow so that's what I used.

I did run into a couple of snags and have a few questions:

1. I had recorded my main pair (months ago) as separate wav files. It seems there are several ways to create a stereo track from those (for my top folder); I tried the "free item positioning" method and panning the items, which worked although it was a little laborious. What do you recommend? I recorded these on a field recorder (MixPre 6). I notice all your files seem to be actual stereo wav files rather than mono files...did you render in place?

2. I left a bit of space at the beginning and a bit of space between takes, but the initial "prepare takes for editing" using the T key did not have the expected result. Instead of each take having a different colour, only a couple of items changed colour, one item on one take and another item on another take. Nothing else changed.

3. On my laptop (which is what I'm using to experiment with this; I did save my previous configuration), installing the scripts seems to have disabled my ability to drag the playhead with the trackpad. I don't have a mouse handy to see if that works, but can you think of any reason why trackpad-based dragging no longer works? I can still use trackpad-based dragging in the crossfade editor and other things, but I can't drag the playhead using the trackpad, which obviously isn't very workable.

Other than that, everything seems to be working well and very efficiently!
Great to hear!

Let me have a go at answering your questions...

1. I generally set up my field recorder for the first two tracks to be an interleaved stereo pair and then the rest are generally mono. This being said, I always run my raw files through SoundDevices WaveAgent (even before I owned one of their devices). It's a great (and free) way to combine or separate files before they enter REAPER (and works via wine too for us Linux users). SoX can also combine mono files etc. It's one of those field recorder --> DAW habits I've gotten into. Your folder doesn't need to be a stereo track, I suppose, but there was another feature request to combine mono files into a stereo (or whatever channel count was required). WaveAgent or SoX is the best plan for now I think...

2. I can't imagine why the T shortcut isn't doing what is expected. I've tested lots of different files including deliberately messing with the starts and ends of the takes so they don't all align. As long as all your microphone channels overlap at at least ONE point in the take, you would be fine:

3. So weird. This is something I'd have to look into. I can't think of any reason why it would be affected! Obviously I've not changed this setting in my guide but have you checked the following:

It's working on my machine albeit with a mouse...

Last edited by chmaha; 05-08-2022 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:52 AM   #110
chmaha

New Video alert:

This video shows off the improved classical toolbar but also helpfully goes through each button showing what it does.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:37 AM   #111
bjohn

Quote:
2. I can't imagine why the T shortcut isn't doing what is expected.
My theory (which I probably won't be able to test today as I'm out of time) is that it's being messed up by the fact that each take in my top folder track has two mono items (one panned hard left, the other panned hard right) instead of a single stereo wav file. Once I have time again I'll test with stereo wav files and see if that fixes it.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:55 AM   #112
chmaha

Quote:
My theory (which I probably won't be able to test today as I'm out of time) is that it's being messed up by the fact that each take in my top folder track has two mono items (one panned hard left, the other panned hard right) instead of a single stereo wav file. Once I have time again I'll test with stereo wav files and see if that fixes it.
No, I don't think that's it. I just exploded a stereo into 2 monos and then imploded onto the folder with free item positioning and they still do what is expected.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:03 AM   #113
bjohn

Quote:
No, I don't think that's it. I just exploded a stereo into 2 monos and then imploded onto the folder with free item positioning and they still do what is expected.
Okay, the other possibility is that I may need to remove some of the older scripts on my machine (the ones I installed before you made your scripts available via ReaPack); maybe there's some conflict going on that's messing things up. The price paid for being an early adopter. :-)
Old 05-08-2022, 06:16 AM   #114
chmaha

Quote:
Okay, the other possibility is that I may need to remove some of the older scripts on my machine (the ones I installed before you made your scripts available via ReaPack); maybe there's some conflict going on that's messing things up. The price paid for being an early adopter. :-)
Perhaps...who knows?

You could always temporarily move your REAPER resource path and let it create another to see if things work after installing my tools on what would essentially be a clean install...
Old 05-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #115
chmaha

New Video:

This is now the up-to-date video for setting up REAPER and my tools.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #116
Huge

Can I reiterate how thankful I am for this work that you have generously made available to us?! I remember seeing the classical editing "software" and was surprised to see that it was a bastardized version of Reaper. Was wondering if he had licensed it or what? Regardless, I am super excited to try all of these features. But...with all of this programming, how do you find time to edit music? :-P
Old 05-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #117
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Can I reiterate how thankful I am for this work that you have generously made available to us?! I remember seeing the classical editing "software" and was surprised to see that it was a bastardized version of Reaper. Was wondering if he had licensed it or what? Regardless, I am super excited to try all of these features. But...with all of this programming, how do you find time to edit music? :-P
Don't get me started on that other software and its creator. There are special words I could use but, instead, let's just focus happy thoughts on this thread

I honestly don't think there are enough hours in the day to do both coding and editing of music! I'm actually trying to make more time for my classical music-making so that will probably take priority in the coming days and weeks.

I now feel that with 15 videos done and dusted I can breathe a little. I have one more video to do in this series ("Folder track as sub-master, gain-staging and mixing") and then it's on to general mastering topics such as DDP, resampling, dither, loudness and other rendering features.

Last edited by chmaha; 05-08-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:52 PM   #118
Huge

I know what you mean. With Reaper, it is so easy to get lost down the rabbit hole of setting it up to do what you want and not actually DOING what you want As a person with no programming skills, I am really thankful for you and so many other like you here in the community. Finally decided to switch over from Nuendo when they released a new version...still with no ripple edit Looking fwd to the last video in the series.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:53 AM   #119
chmaha

v2.3 of the scripts is ready and waiting in ReaPack.

NEW: I suppose a little bit of an oversight but I've now added linking polarity and automation to the "Create Source Groups" script!

Video 16 (Classical Mixing) will be with you later today...
Old 05-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #120
schwa
Administrator

This is an impressive toolset, thank you so much for contributing to the community!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote