Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-12-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Stimulus
Human being with feelings

Default Is There a Logic Channel EQ JS Plug-in?

Hi All!

I'm looking for a JS Plug-In emulation of Logics Channel EQ.

Anyone know if there is one? I have ReEQ which is fantastic but just for a change now and again, the one in Logic would be incredible.

If there isn't one, does anyone know if there's a request section for this? looked but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
Stimulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
DarkStar

What particular features of the Logic EQ are you looking for? There are loads of free EQ plug-ins available.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

It sure does look like it does what ReaEQ does but with pretty colors. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the the JS ReEQ, though I think it’s meant to be more like fabfilter.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
What particular features of the Logic EQ are you looking for? There are loads of free EQ plug-ins available.
I just like the look of the Logic one and like how it operates too.

Yeah ReEQ is very good. Sometimes it would be nice to switch things up though. ;-)
Old 09-20-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
Pink Wool

I seem to have this in my plugins (no, it's not JS):

https://smacklabs.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/hello-world/

But I have really no idea how accurate it is. And it's Windows only...
Pink Wool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #6
citizenkeith

Have you seen this one?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213501
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:35 AM   #7
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
I seem to have this in my plugins (no, it's not JS):

https://smacklabs.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/hello-world/

But I have really no idea how accurate it is. And it's Windows only...
That's not the one lol!
Old 01-16-2021, 04:38 AM   #8
Stimulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Yes I've seen that one. It's amazing and my go to EQ (Pro Q2 / 3 emulation eh) but I really just like the Channel EQ in Logic and it would be nice to just have a choice. Sometimes different plug-ins suit different situations.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
ivansc

smacklab`s one is a pretty credible version of the SSL channel.

I was beta for the original version when it got moved from Duende to full-on VST. Excellent stuff, as is the smacklabs one.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have Logic Pro9 on my mac & havent noticed the EQ as being anything special. What is the attraction, other than the gui?

Last edited by ivansc; 01-18-2021 at 02:22 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:05 PM   #10
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimulus View Post
Yes I've seen that one. It's amazing and my go to EQ (Pro Q2 / 3 emulation eh) but I really just like the Channel EQ in Logic and it would be nice to just have a choice. Sometimes different plug-ins suit different situations.

Granted, I don't use Logic too often, but I'm curious how ReEQ differs from Channel EQ in Logic.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #11
mike92

I'm looking for it too, and to be honest, it is last and crucial point before full transition to Reaper.
So what's special about this one plugin?
Spectrum analyzer - in my opinion is one of the best on the world. I can instant "see" where I have problems on my mix - especialy on kick root notes.
I've tried a lot of spectrum analyzer plugins (paid options too!) and nothing is on same league as Logic's Channel EQ built in one.

Any suggestions of similar looking spectrum?
mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:44 PM   #12
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike92 View Post
I'm looking for it too, and to be honest, it is last and crucial point before full transition to Reaper.
So what's special about this one plugin?
Spectrum analyzer - in my opinion is one of the best on the world. I can instant "see" where I have problems on my mix - especialy on kick root notes.
I've tried a lot of spectrum analyzer plugins (paid options too!) and nothing is on same league as Logic's Channel EQ built in one.
Any chance of a screenshot?
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #13
TheNeth

Seconding the request for screenshot(s).

I've not heard of this EQ and haven't ever used Logic, and have a voiceover-specific student that has mentioned they're using multiple instances of this EQ to tame their room noise ... just trying to get my head around how and why they'd be doing that :P
Old 03-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #14
JonLinnarson

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I can't understand what's wrong with the analyzer in ReEQ? :S It's pretty much identical to the one in Channel EQ (or actually much better!).

If you want the analyzer in ReEQ to look identical to the one in Channel EQ you just have to set it up a bit differently from the default settings:

1. Settings>Spectrum>Full
2. Settings>Display>Line
3. Settings>Tilt>0dB/oct
4. Settings>Display Pre-EQ>On

You can test the different FFT-sizes and see what works best for you.

All-in-all, ReEQ is a much more powerful EQ than Logic Channel EQ with double the amount of bands (16 instead of 8), more filter types, automatic gain compensation, output limiter etc. The only thing ReEQ is lacking is the ability to type in values, but that's not something Justin can add at the moment as it's not possible to do in a JS (with this kind of GUI).

You simply can't get a better Logic Channel EQ JS alternative than ReEQ, at least not without making ReEQ worse.

Last edited by JonLinnarson; 04-04-2022 at 09:30 AM.
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:10 PM   #15
mike92

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLinnarson View Post
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I can't understand what's wrong with the analyzer in ReEQ? :S It's pretty much identical to the one in Channel EQ (or actually much better!).

If you want the analyzer in ReEQ to look identical to the one in Channel EQ you just have to set it up a bit differently from the default settings:

1. Settings>Spectrum>Full
2. Settings>Display>Line
3. Settings>Display Pre-EQ>On

The other settings should be the same as the default (4.5dB/oct tilt, Blackman-Harris window type, 8192 FFT-size).

All-in-all, ReEQ is a much more powerful EQ than Logic Channel EQ with double the amount of bands (16 instead of 8), more filter types, automatic gain compensation, output limiter etc. The only thing ReEQ is lacking is the ability to type in values, but that's not something Justin can add at the moment as it's not possible to do in a JS (with this kind of GUI).

You simply can't get a better Logic Channel EQ JS alternative than ReEQ, at least not without making ReEQ worse.
Thank You very much for your post. Will check it asap!

EDIT: Looks nice. Is possible to change analyzer decay time?

Last edited by mike92; 03-31-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:43 PM   #16
TheNeth

Oooh, thanks for replying just now mike92, I hadn't actually seen JonLinnarson's response that you quoted.

Personally my interest was one of curiosity more than anything, about what Channel EQ was like and if there had been a plugin or emulation of it made available.

Absolutely love ReEQ and am trying to get the instructor I TA for to give it a go and learn how to use it effectively so we can give some thorough recommendations for using it to the students we teach voice acting-oriented introductory engineering to.

The main EQ we use to demonstrate specifics is InfinityEQ, and then I give the students a bit more of a look into how ReaEQ can be used to do many of the same things, but man ReEQ will be a game-changer once I get the instructor on board!
Old 04-01-2022, 04:41 AM   #17
mike92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeth View Post
Oooh, thanks for replying just now mike92, I hadn't actually seen JonLinnarson's response that you quoted.

Personally my interest was one of curiosity more than anything, about what Channel EQ was like and if there had been a plugin or emulation of it made available.

Absolutely love ReEQ and am trying to get the instructor I TA for to give it a go and learn how to use it effectively so we can give some thorough recommendations for using it to the students we teach voice acting-oriented introductory engineering to.

The main EQ we use to demonstrate specifics is InfinityEQ, and then I give the students a bit more of a look into how ReaEQ can be used to do many of the same things, but man ReEQ will be a game-changer once I get the instructor on board!
EQ is EQ as usual. I have many paid plugins, UA and Weiss too because they sound differnet, but what is crucial for me, its good analyzer for simple analyzing purpose. ReEQ has good one, but to be perfect for me I need some more tweaking. What is crucial for me, its specificaly option to setup similiar ceiling and floor with adjustable EQ line. On Logic's EQ you can set this equalizer line where you need simply moving it up and down on the right side of the plugin.

Maybe it's personal, but I really know this settings, and once i look on this spectrum WITH WHITE EQUALIZER LINE EXACTLY ON -30 db (!) I really know where I have too much or too less "informations" (I really see on it distorts too). Option of changing decay time of analyzer wave will be very useful too.

This simple setup is very clear and informational for me.
Attached Images
File Type: png Spectrum analyzer channel eq-min.png (188.9 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by mike92; 04-01-2022 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:27 AM   #18
JonLinnarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike92 View Post
Thank You very much for your post. Will check it asap!

EDIT: Looks nice. Is possible to change analyzer decay time?
No, that's one thing that ReEQ can't do unfortunately.

Btw: I corrected one thing that was wrong in my last comment. The tilt should be set to 0dB/oct for it to be the same as Channel EQ.

Quote:
Maybe it's personal, but I really know this settings, and once i look on this spectrum WITH WHITE EQUALIZER LINE EXACTLY ON -30 db (!) I really know where I have too much or too less "informations" (I really see on it distorts too). Option of changing decay time of analyzer wave will be very useful too.
This is probably a result of Justin taking inspiration from Fabfilter's Pro-Q3. The center line will always be just below -30dB in ReEQ whatever you do, but if you want to use ReEQ in a similar way you use Channel EQ (i.e looking at the center line for balancing your mix) I would recommend to just use the default Tilt setting of 4.5dB/oct because that way you only have to make sure that the whole spectrum looks flat/balanced. You don't have to look at anything else.

The reason that the spectrum in the screenshot you posted looks tilted - so that the lows are above the centre line while the highs are below it - is because that's how we perceive a balanced mix. If you tilt the spectrum analyzer with 4.5dB/oct, the same mix will look flat instead of tilted. That's why the default setting for 99% of all spectrum analyzers is 4.5dB/oct tilt. It's much easier to see if the mix is balanced when the only thing you have to care about is if it looks about flat on the analyzer.
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote