Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

View Poll Results: Do you need Trimmer Like In Vegas?
Yes 1 20.00%
No 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
JeruBerau
Human being with feelings

Default Media Explorer still no progress...

As a newbie with Vegas background who wants to test Reaper, after a lot of research, I am facing a huge problem which really prevents me from moving to Reaper, despite all the harm done to the Vegas software by Magix.
I've searched here on the forums, but unfortunately the latest news I've found was not pleasant, albeit not very fresh.

So,

both Vegas and Reaper allow you to open a file in preview, select a piece and drag it to the timeline.

But only Vegas allows you to do the opposite: open the corresponding piece of the file in the preview waveform window (trimmer), through the right-click menu of the item.

To say that it's useful is to say nothing. I use it always.
And it looks like this problem has been discussed here more than once, but still nothing's improved.

Do you use something instead of this option?
I mean, something that won't force you to change the screen.
==

Generally speaking, the Media Explorer area is somewhat abandoned by the Reaper team. For example, I cannot force the explorer window to be lower when it is in the docker, not half-screen high. At the same time I cannot make the trimmer (waveform window of the preview) higher to be more precise in selecting pieces from there.

Last edited by JeruBerau; 09-08-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: grammar
JeruBerau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:54 AM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeruBerau View Post
A
Generally speaking, the Media Explorer area is somewhat abandoned by the Reaper team.
A general comment, not related to your specific questions: if you check the pre-release forum you'll find that quite a bit of development is being done on the media explorer ...
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
JeruBerau

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
A general comment, not related to your specific questions: if you check the pre-release forum you'll find that quite a bit of development is being done on the media explorer ...
I am not a developer to have an opinion on what is being done. I am a user, so that's what I find still surprisingly missing.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
Coachz

All I need is for media explorer to stop playing if I click the file again. Can a shortcut be assigned to stop play in the media player?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeruBerau View Post
I am not a developer to have an opinion on what is being done. I am a user, so that's what I find still surprisingly missing.
the dev version is the not yet released version of reaper there you will find devs are reworking in Media explorer, maybe download it and try, give your opinions on the latest version that will come to reaper in some version soon. maybe the community and the devs will like your input.
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
JeruBerau

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
the dev version is the not yet released version of reaper there you will find devs are reworking in Media explorer, maybe download it and try, give your opinions on the latest version that will come to reaper in some version soon. maybe the community and the devs will like your input.
Thanxx! I've done some research here on forums and found at least four other references to the same problem, back in 2011 and 2014. So I'm not the first to speak about it here, definitely.

So the subject is not new.

Some are so critical towards "general" comments, but I do not see a reason "not to generalize". Exactly because I am not a dev. I have no idea about what approach will clear up things for them.

So, generally, the preview track in Reaper is still slave to the media explorer solely.
In Vegas it is slave to both media explorer and arrange view.

Hence, particularly, I can pick a file in the explrorer, open it in the preview window, take a piece there and drag into the arrange view, fine.

In Vegas I ALSO can do the opposite: pick an item in the arrange view and, through the right-click menu, send it to the preview track immediately, WITHOUT passing again through the explorer. It is very useful if you need to work fast, and when you need to select a neighbor piece of the same audio file to drag it into the arrange view.

Nothing too general
Old 09-17-2020, 12:17 AM   #7
ivansc

So - have you tried downloading the latest pre-release version and trying the amendments ot the Media Explorer? Your experience with Vegas will provide valuable insights into whether or not the direction the devs are taking is going to be useful or not.

Funnily enough, I seem to remember that Justin Frankel decided to write Reaper after many years experience with Vegas... could be he would appreciate your thoughts on where the latest pre-release versio is going.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
JeruBerau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So - have you tried downloading the latest pre-release version and trying the amendments ot the Media Explorer?
Frankly, no I haven't. Still in search of a page it can be downloaded from...
As far as I guess, the 6.13 version is not pre-release, so where's the pre, I have no idea

As of now, within the released versions, maximum you can do is to use the action "Media Explorer: preview media item source media", but it opens the entire file in the preview track instead of centering on the selection that corresponds to the item,
and even so, it begins playing immediately, which is totally unnecessary. "Play on bar" and unchecked "Auto play" do not prevent this behavior.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
daniellumertz

normally is just dowload the exe or dmg (as you download in the normal version )here
https://www.landoleet.org/

but the latest pré is an pré 6.14 that devs decided to not realese yet the new media explorer and other things.

Here all the latest version
https://www.landoleet.org/old/
Roll down till you find the 613+dev0908 version and download if you want for win 64 32 or mac 32 64 linux etc
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:59 AM   #10
X-Raym

Upcoming improvements of the media explorer in current pre-releases doesn't have the action asked by the OP.

It is indeed something very current in video editing software, like Show video to source monitor in Premiere Pro etc.

Scripting a Show item section in media explorer seems a bit complex,
  • Script can get source path,
  • determine what section is used (unless there is stretch markers, in this case it become too complex)
  • paste the sound folder in media explorer path
  • Selecting the file entry should also be possible
  • but setting the section of sound in the explorer..... I'm really not sure it is possible. I will ask Juliansader REAPER GUi related scripts are made possible thanks to his extension.
I have a script related to source section usage but it is read only.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
JeruBerau

Thank you for the path, @daniellumertz,
Thank you for the tip, @X-Raym,
So I can still take a lazy position and wait until they do something on the Media Explorer's preview track.

=== Maybe it's really that hard, I don't know, I'm not a dev, but here's how it looks in Vegas.
Attached Images
File Type: gif tyty.gif (52.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #12
X-Raym

Quote:
Maybe it's really that hard
It is more about priority for the devs, who have a lots of demands,

and from scripter side, it is more about what functions are available for scripting.

I asked Juliansader, we will see if something is possible from scriptside. https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1336
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote