Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Default Midi inline editor

If the Midi inline editor doesn't need an overhaul then the manual's information about it does. Exactly one time is the word "inline" in the manual, and it's just a mention of it, not followed by any info.

For a lot of folks, the inline editor is the only way any midi editing can be done. But it feels like it's the ignored stepchild. I'm not talking about the power of Reaper's midi editing, it's the other things. If you work on arrangements with just 8 midi instruments and 8 tracks of live instruments and need to work on them as a whole picture, changing a note here and there as it hits you, it's not a mature environment to be in. The losing of v and h note positioning in tracks is a big deal but not the only one. I hate having to export over to other DAWs just to tweak piano parts in an arrangement as it relates to other things happening on other tracks, but I still find I have to.

I think Reaper would benefit from interface improvements to the inline editor, to have someone who does detailed midi editing (not EDM or quantized loop music) give it a critical once over and bring it up to speed.

Are there hidden aspects to the inline editor that I haven't discovered? Or is there better coverage that I've missed?

Last edited by vdubreeze; 04-08-2018 at 04:20 PM.
vdubreeze is offline   Reply With Quote