Old 05-15-2020, 04:01 AM   #1
Jan Flikweert
Human being with feelings

Default crescendo

Hi all,

The crescendo pedal incrementally activates stops as it is pressed forward and removes stops as it is depressed backward. The addition of stops, in order from quietest to loudest, creates the effect of a crescendo.

I have a crescendo pedal on an external device. It sends cc 11 with value between 0 and 127.

In REAPER I have 150 stops, tracks, VSTi instruments.

I can toggle these stops, VSTi instruments by sending CC 7 with value 0 to 127.

How to apply a crescendo pedal to these tracks?

I understand that there is an option learning where you can difnie these espression pedals. But then...

Snapshots?

Kind regards,

Jan Flikweert
Jan Flikweert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
mschnell

I suppose you are talking about a Pipe Organ instrument.

It depends on the plugin how it reacts on any Midi input such as CC7.

In fact IMHO CC7 should be used as a standard volume control, and another pedal (maybe one per manual) should be used as a crescendo pedal sending e.g. CC 11 "Expression". This looks more like "standard" but of course the other way round would work as well.

If you simply need to modify CC11 to be CC7 this can be done e.g. by the ReaPack -> "Midi Convert To CC" plugin (or one of several others availabe via ReaPack).

If you need to have the pluigin directly toggle the stops according to a CC input value such a plugin would need to be created dedicatedly for that purpose.

"Learning" would be need to be done in the Organ plugin itself (which we do not know) .

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
Jan Flikweert

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

It concerns a pipe organ. I use Sforzando. Let us forget the CC7 pedal. That works.
I suppose when i add a cc11 controll in the [controll] section, I see this controller. But how to toggle on/off at a certain value?

The main case is reading an CC11 message. When the value of the CC11 message exceeds a certain value this should toggle the instrument on/off. Toggling on/off is done by sending message CC7 127/0 to the instrument.

An other approach could be the plugin from sforzando. By default I see a CC7 control in the prugin, but no CC11 control. In this sforzando plugin I use .sfz files. There is a possibillaty to add cc11 to the control by sfz. But how to let react the sfz conditionally to the cc11 controller, i mean let the SFZ toggle on/of when the value of that controller passes a certain value?

Kind regards,

Jan Flikweert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I suppose you are talking about a Pipe Organ instrument.

It depends on the plugin how it reacts on any Midi input such as CC7.

In fact IMHO CC7 should be used as a standard volume control, and another pedal (maybe one per manual) should be used as a crescendo pedal sending e.g. CC 11 "Expression". This looks more like "standard" but of course the other way round would work as well.

If you simply need to modify CC11 to be CC7 this can be done e.g. by the ReaPack -> "Midi Convert To CC" plugin (or one of several others availabe via ReaPack).

If you need to have the pluigin directly toggle the stops according to a CC input value such a plugin would need to be created dedicatedly for that purpose.

"Learning" would be need to be done in the Organ plugin itself (which we do not know) .

-Michael
Jan Flikweert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
mschnell

Multiple instances of Midi Convert to CC should be able to accompilsh that, as for each you can define an input range, an output range and an output channel. (input CC = 11, output CC = 7)

Seems rather clumsy but doable. Of course a dedicated JSFX would be much more convenient (and rather easy to do).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote