Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
not-relevant
Human being with feelings

Default Selectively route MIDI notes from one track to multiple separate VSTi?

I have several VST drum instruments that I want to address as a unified electronic kit from a single MIDI track.

For example, I might want C2 to trigger a kick from one VSTi, D2 to trigger a snare on a second VSTi and F#2, G#2 + A#2 to trigger hats on a third VSTi, all in the same MIDI item on the same source track.

Note that some of the VSTi can't be prevented from triggering on all note pitches/numbers received, so I can't just stack them as FX on the same track without some filtering/routing of MIDI note events to the right plug-in.

Is there a straightforward way to set this up in REAPER using out the box tools and settings? I don't particularly want to use any kind of 3rd party MIDI routing tool or plug-in unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks
not-relevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
xpander

About the easiest way I can think of while not using any extra plugins would be following:

Have your MIDI item in one track. Put your VSTis into three separate tracks. Route your MIDI track output into all these separate VSTi tracks. Set a different MIDI input channel for each of these VSTi tracks.

Then open the MIDI item in the MIDI editor. Going by your example, right-click over the C2 key to select all the kick notes. Then right-click over any of the selected notes, go to Note channel and set it to the same channel you set previously for your kick VSTi. Repeat for every note/VSTi channel.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:36 AM   #3
jrk

Is "JS:MIDI Note Filter" stock? If that's OK for you, just route yr midi to separate tracks and use it to restrict that track to just the note (range) you're interested in.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-relevant View Post
I have several VST drum instruments that I want to address as a unified electronic kit from a single MIDI track.

For example, I might want C2 to trigger a kick from one VSTi, D2 to trigger a snare on a second VSTi and F#2, G#2 + A#2 to trigger hats on a third VSTi, all in the same MIDI item on the same source track......
Hi,
My God I have wished for a native solution for this since,like,2009!
The "best" way I've found is a track for every vst, with a note filter as jrk said, triggered by your source track.But I use a free vst that ATM I can't remember name.....I'll post the link. Its the easiest in that it displays a small piano GUI, and use the mouse to easily select your note(notes).

Logics Mapped Instrument would be my #1 feature request of all time!

Good luck!

Guido
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
not-relevant

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like the best solution for me is probably:
- MIDI items on one track
- VSTi on multiple separate tracks, each with an instance of JS: MIDI Note Filter ahead of the drum synth, restricting incoming notes by note number before they reach the synths
- route a copy of the MIDI item track output to each of the VSTi drum synth tracks

I can see that filtering on MIDI channel and manually assigning MIDI channel to notes in the editor might work for some people, but it would be too fiddly for me: I want to be able to drag stuff around in the MIDI editor and experiment.
not-relevant is offline   Reply With Quote