Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
domportera
Human being with feelings

Default OSC CC Pitch Bend

I’m trying to make an application that communicates via OSC to Reaper. Basically, I’m trying to make a pitch bend wheel app where I control midi with my normal controller, but use OSC to control the pitch bend via an Android app. I will share this with you all if I get this working! I'd even port it to iPhone but I won't be able to test it there.

I’ve successfully done OSC control with MIDI note messages, but I’m having trouble trying to control CC. Reaper gets my messages but it doesn't respond to them. I’ve tried every combination of OSC string I could come up with based on the default Reaper OSC format, but I might be missing something or formatting improperly.

Any tips on the proper message I should be sending? Is this at all possible?
domportera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
pljones

Be clear that Pitch Bend and Continuous Controller are two different MIDI messages. (Just like Note On and Continuous Controller are different.)

Default.ReaperOSC contains lines that handle the useful types of MIDI message.

So, for MIDI CC, you should have:
# for CCs, if two, first wildcard is channel (0-15). MIDI CC number is required (as decimal integer only!)
VKB_MIDI_CC i/vkb_midi/@/cc/@ f/vkb_midi/@/cc/@ i/vkb_midi/cc/@ f/vkb_midi/cc/@

That would match either of these for CC1=32 (first explicitly on channel 0):
/vkb_midi/0/cc/1 32
/vkb_midi/cc/1 32

And for Pitch Bend
# pitch can take channel as wildcard, or value only
VKB_MIDI_PITCH i/vkb_midi/@/pitch f/vkb_midi/@/pitch i/vkb_midi/pitch f/vkb_midi/pitch

That would match either of these (first explicitly on channel 0):
/vkb_midi/0/pitch 300
/vkb_midi/pitch 300

I have a horrible feeling that "300" is taken and turned into a two MIDI data byte pair, i.e. the literal "on the wire" value. That makes life annoyingly difficult. Basically, you've a 14 bit value with a range of 0 to 16383, where 0 or 1 is the maximum pitch bend down and 16383 the maximum up, with 8191 or 8192 being "in the middle" (zero bend). Then you have to think "Ah, I'm working from -1200 to +1200, so I divide 16384 by 2400 and multiply by the adjustment I want plus 1200. Simple!"

I'm assuming all the VKB messages map (roughly) to StuffMIDIMessage...

Are these not present / not working? Do you have a track with the MIDI In routed correctly?

Last edited by pljones; 03-26-2020 at 10:46 AM.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
domportera

Yes that was it!! I thought it was CC because I couldn't get the pitch command to work either, good to know now.

My issues were mostly that I was using a / at the end of the address most of the time I was testing, and when I wasn't I assumed it was an 7 bit integer, so i was mapping 0-127 which was basically imperceptible. But now that I have the proper size mapped to my slider it works perfectly!

Thanks so much for your thorough help! It will help me beyond just this problem as well.

I will update this thread when I have a proper build ready for use by others
Old 03-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by domportera View Post
I’m trying to make an application that communicates via OSC to Reaper.
You could use OSIIBot to convert OSC to Midi and LoopMidi to allow fo connecting the Midi device interfaces of Reaper and OSCIIBot.

(I do this to do something like synchronizing an OSC aware Mixer with Reaper.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-26-2020 at 11:09 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
domportera

Default Progress so far

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Here's the android app so far - https://appsenjoy.com/download/b49dc...433392d33.html

Obviously requires both Reaper and your phone to be on the same network.

Github:
https://github.com/domportera/OSC-Mod-Wheels

Super simple app, but it adds lots of value to my midi keyboard
Old 03-26-2020, 10:41 PM   #6
Fergler

Does it present a better latency than using rc.reaper.fm to control an instance or ReaControlMIDI?
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
domportera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Does it present a better latency than using rc.reaper.fm to control an instance or ReaControlMIDI?
Couldn't tell you honestly 🤷 Latency is basically whatever your local network takes for a UDP packet.

The app has been updated to have 6 different controls that can be used simultaneously - Pitch, mod wheel, channel pressure, expression, foot pedal, and volume. Pitch behaves as a wheel that re-centers itself, while the rest is treated like a fader. I'll put out a new build later but I want to address a couple of nitpicky things first.

Last edited by domportera; 03-27-2020 at 09:33 AM.