Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Dork Lard
Human being with feelings

Default What's your most hated personal tendency ?

Like, on Reaper !.. on Reaper. I'm sure you all have fascinating personal problems in life too, but for the time being...

So there's that famous online meme, m'sure you've seen it, that reads "almost done with my mix !" and you see a skeleton with just clothes on laying on its computer desk chair.

Are you the type to rush a mix ? Or like the skeleton meme, to never ever finalize and move on - do you over post process your mix and go too far then just start from scratch again ? Is your problem volume between tracks ? Or just one instrument you can't get (to sound) right like drums, bass, vocals... ?

What's your most hated personal tendency ? - I love reading those.
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Lard View Post
Like, on Reaper !.. on Reaper. I'm sure you all have fascinating personal problems in life too, but for the time being...

So there's that famous online meme, m'sure you've seen it, that reads "almost done with my mix !" and you see a skeleton with just clothes on laying on its computer desk chair.

Are you the type to rush a mix ? Or like the skeleton meme, to never ever finalize and move on - do you over post process your mix and go too far then just start from scratch again ? Is your problem volume between tracks ? Or just one instrument you can't get (to sound) right like drums, bass, vocals... ?

What's your most hated personal tendency ? - I love reading those.
I'm actually really happy with my mixing workflow. I mix with a lot of detail so one song could take me anywhere from five hours to 100 hours. Especially with bad singers that need pitch correction and me playing guitar which needs a lot of phrase correction and note correction. My best attribute with mixing is to then let the song sit for a week or two and not listen to it and then come back to it and listen to it again a few more times and remixe.

Usually too much or not enough Bass or not enough highs generally speaking. Once I've lived with the song for a month or two then the mix is done with very few tweaks. To me the biggest trick is not to just burn yourself out on a Song but mix three or four at a time and be able to go away from them for a few weeks before final mixing. I might repeat this process a couple of times going back away for a couple more weeks but usually after a month or so I pretty much know what I have.

You can hear samples of 10 of my latest mixes here

https://sites.google.com/view/larryf...ess?authuser=0
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #3
zeekat

I have aversion to radical EQing, so when I reference my stuff to many "real" mixes it sounds sort of muddy because of my hesitation to trim excess fat. But on the other hand, not very keen on a scooped rock sound, so I'll probably keep doing that.

I'm more worried about my compositional and performer skills really
Old 03-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I have aversion to radical EQing, so when I reference my stuff to many "real" mixes it sounds sort of muddy because of my hesitation to trim excess fat. But on the other hand, not very keen on a scooped rock sound, so I'll probably keep doing that.

I'm more worried about my compositional and performer skills really
Having some reference tracks that match the genre you are recording is also key. I have reference tracks for every style that I work in whether it be Jazz, reggae, rock and roll Etc. Just find the very best sounding tracks you can and aim for that
Old 03-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
Reason

1. The ability to constantly edit/add/trim VSTi parts means I have multiple songs that are 4+ years old.
2. And have too many parts. I made myself sit down and write a song with drums, bass, pad, lead parts - 4 tracks only (not counting automation).
3. I can't write a short song to save my life. The above mentioned 4 part song clocks in at 4:30 ish and seems, to me, to be just starting to get going.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Having some reference tracks that match the genre you are recording is also key. I have reference tracks for every style that I work in whether it be Jazz, reggae, rock and roll Etc. Just find the very best sounding tracks you can and aim for that
Yeah I usually reference to my favourite track in the world which is a bit mid-heavy. It's just seems a notch atypical for most things in the genre.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
1. The ability to constantly edit/add/trim VSTi parts means I have multiple songs that are 4+ years old.
2. And have too many parts. I made myself sit down and write a song with drums, bass, pad, lead parts - 4 tracks only (not counting automation).
3. I can't write a short song to save my life. The above mentioned 4 part song clocks in at 4:30 ish and seems, to me, to be just starting to get going.
haha, sounds like me. Too prolific for my own good, story of my life... gotta keep things simple, I keep telling myself: S.I.M.P.L.E. I've had to change my song-writing in fact to fit my mixing abilities. Hard when you've got two different key tracks, a synth and then lead vocals at the same time, with the bass and drum tracks in the back as well. EQ'ing needs to be spot on. Ultimately the best mixes are the most simple ones. Every radio ready song out there, you can hear every single instrument perfectly.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
Dork Lard

Quote:
Usually too much or not enough Bass
yyyyep. Hard to get that right. I'll listen to my mixes and feel something's missing, then listen to some studio band out there and it just sounds like it's cut from a different cloth, then I notice it's the bass. Really hard to get the bass frequencies right betw. the drum kicks and the bass guitar, and a nice clean thick bassy motion without it sounding just boomy and obviously too loud.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
foxAsteria

I can extremely rarely manage to be truly "finished" with any of my personal projects.

The worst aspect of that is that when it goes on for a couple decades, it's incredibly overwhelming to even choose which of my thousands of unfinished songs to work on.

So that's why I created the Procrastinators thread...but now I'm even procrastinating catching up on those posts...
Old 03-24-2020, 06:06 PM   #10
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Lard View Post
yyyyep. Hard to get that right. I'll listen to my mixes and feel something's missing, then listen to some studio band out there and it just sounds like it's cut from a different cloth, then I notice it's the bass. Really hard to get the bass frequencies right betw. the drum kicks and the bass guitar, and a nice clean thick bassy motion without it sounding just boomy and obviously too loud.
I swear its hard as hell but with Gullfoss its easy. Blew me away.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 AM   #11
Dork Lard

Quote:
I swear its hard as hell but with Gullfoss its easy. Blew me away.
omg had never heard of this, just YouTubed it. Dear lord. Thank you for this (!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I can extremely rarely manage to be truly "finished" with any of my personal projects.

The worst aspect of that is that when it goes on for a couple decades, it's incredibly overwhelming to even choose which of my thousands of unfinished songs to work on.

So that's why I created the Procrastinators thread...but now I'm even procrastinating catching up on those posts...
haha, procrastinating within procrastination. Wow. It's almost profound.

Yeah like I've been working on 3 electronic rock-ish tracks since January. Just three. And I swore to myself I should create a Distrokid account and upload them by April, like April 1st. They're still there on my computer but honestly though I'm uploading this week.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
Coachz

You might like this gullfoss info.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225649
Old 04-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #13
Dork Lard

Quote: