COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 03-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default VST3 plugins that PLAY but don't RENDER in Wavelab?

I have come across a peculiar situation with my VST3 iPlugs in Wavelab (the "finicky" DAW). Some of my VST3 plugins (not all and I'm trying find out why) do not render the audio processing. They work properly on live playback but it's like they are being bypassed when rendering.

I've asked "PG" at Steinberg about it and he said the plugin is "not streaming the parameters properly" - i.e., it's the plugin's fault.

What does THAT mean? AFAIK, parameters are not "streamed" - only the audio is "streamed". What is he talking about? Where would I look to fix this and why is it only a problem in WAVELAB?

BTW - the VST2 versions of my plugins (the format Steinberg is trying to kill off) work perfectly in Wavelab

Last edited by Nonlinear; 03-15-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Nonlinear

I just received some additional info from PG about this that was news to me:

"WaveLab creates a NEW plugin instance, and copy the settings from the playback plugin to the plugin that will be used to render.
If the settings are not properly copied, plugin will render something different that played back.
IOW, the plugin used for playback, is not the same plugin instance used for rendering."

So what would cause my plugin's parameters not to copy from one instance to another in Wavelab?

Last edited by Nonlinear; 03-17-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Nonlinear

Found the answer to this problem in another post here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=11

For some reason the required code was commented out in iPlugVST3.h

Wavelab requires setState and getState to copy the plugin settings from the active plugin to the rendering plugin copy. Without this Wavelab renders using the plugin's default settings - i.e., it constructs the plugin but doesn't copy the settings.

It was hard to catch this error on some plugins because they APPEARED to be working when in fact they were rendering with their default settings.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 03-18-2020 at 10:58 AM.