Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-30-2020, 02:20 AM   #41
Triode
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
This should be fixed now.
BUT. There is a parse problem, like

so there still can be problems with such names, any pattern/way suggestion for parsing strings like that are very welcome.
I can confirm the marker import looks to be working nicely now with the project I sent.

Track fx and volumes etc seem to be broken though. EDIT: broken on matched tracks
Old 03-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #42
Stroudy

This in some brilliant work MPL!!
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #43
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I can confirm the marker import looks to be working nicely now with the project I sent.

Track fx and volumes etc seem to be broken though. EDIT: broken on matched tracks
Ooops, soory, drunk too much wine when making last updates
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #44
Tone Ranger

Quote:
There is a so much data in a pieces of RPP related to track, so instead of decoding LOT of parameters, items stuff which is also iside track, simpliest way is to translate rough text from one RPP to another (almost) without any decoding process. But in this case you can`t choose what you want to translate. When you check which parameters you want to translate, the script also copy RAW chunk, but it does that for newly created track and THEN use native API ways to translate some parameters carefully.
Thanks MPL!!
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #45
timothys_monster

Hey MPL,

yesterday I used the script for the first time in my workflow and it is really super helpful. Donation sent

So, just to be sure: the only way to select tracks to import them to your project is by choosing "New track at the end of tracklist"?

I am looking for the super straight forward import function in PT by simply clicking the desired track and in the end choosing "import". That way maybe one could even import after the last selected tracks.

Would be amazing to have it a bit less clicky if you know what I mean... unless I don't get it and it has already been implemented.
timothys_monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #46
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
I am looking for the super straight forward import function in PT by simply clicking the desired track and in the end choosing "import". That way maybe one could even import after the last selected tracks.
For 1.11 I added select function for tracklist. You can match selected tracks (if nothing selected, script try to match all tracks) or set new track as a destination (see tracklist menu).
Old 03-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #47
timothys_monster

Quote:
For 1.11 I added select function for tracklist. You can match selected tracks (if nothing selected, script try to match all tracks) or set new track as a destination (see tracklist menu).
Top notch! This is such a game changer for my workflow.

Now, I hate people being like: "please copy the behaviour of another DAW".... But in this case the only thing that stands in the way of this script being lightning fast is: drag select tracks. For now I can select them by clicking one after the other. In PT you can make a selection of various tracks by dragging over the list. Just as you can with REAPER's mute and solo buttons across tracks.

What do you think?
timothys_monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #48
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
drag select tracks
Ah I got it, added for 1.12.
(edit)There can be some GUI issues while selection, for example if you scroll while drag or drag too fast. It is due to ReaScript fixed refresh rate and slightly complex to handle properly so I leave it as is for now.

Last edited by mpl; 03-31-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #49
Triode

Quote:
Ah I got it, added for 1.12.
(edit)There can be some GUI issues while selection, for example if you scroll while drag or drag too fast. It is due to ReaScript fixed refresh rate and slightly complex to handle properly.
You got that one out while I was testing 1.11 !

Dragging from anything other than the first track seems to miss some tracks or stops selecting halfway down.

How about other usual selection methods like shift-select for selecting a range between and command-click for non-contiguous selection and toggling selection?
Plus clicking on a track while others are selected starts a new selection by cancelling others?

EDIT: Also I'd rename the "Trlist control" to "New Tracks"

I like the new place for the Import button

Repeatedly clicking on "Match Selected" does funny things
Old 03-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #50
mpl

Quote:
usual selection methods like shift-select for selecting a range between
Quote:
Repeatedly clicking on "Match Selected" does funny things
Yeah that seems works better. Implemented for 1.13
Match selected - should be fixed (data refresh issue for used tracks), but not sure what you exactly mean about "funny things".
Old 03-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #51
Triode

That's looking good.
By "funny things" I meant that on the second click random matches would occur.
This looks fixed now.

The sends are the main thing missing from PT now.
I had a thought about the strategy for finding which to send to: in the absence of unique track identifier would just the plain actual track names work most of the time? With perhaps an option to suffix the name of any track that has been duplicated after import with the word "new"?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #52
todoublez

Hi mpl, after doing import session data,

all the audio items shown blank with no waveform and no sound,
is it normal ?

I checked the "media" in the session folder, seemed the audio files didn't copy into the target session.

Last edited by todoublez; 04-02-2020 at 09:24 AM.
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #53
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by todoublez View Post
Hi mpl, after doing import session data,
all the audio items shown blank with no waveform and no sound,
is it normal ?
I checked the "media" in the session folder, seemed the audio files didn't copy into the target session.
How the source path look like and what options supposed to be in this case? I think I can try handling copy files/set new source (can be tricky though). Currently items data ported directly with no handling paths, moving source etc.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #54
Tone Ranger

@mpl Thanks for all of your work on this so far! Really impressive. The only thing that's really holding me back from being able to use it in place of SWS Snapshots is sends/routing not importing. I do a LOT of busing when mixing, so being able to import routing (sends/receives as well as master/parent send on or off) is key. Just wanted to reinforce the importance of it that others brought up, fingers crossed there's a way to make it work! :-)

Also, a +1 on the idea that a simple click (maybe RMB) on a track option will set it to import as new track at the end of the session....or at least be able to select several tracks on the left and hold a modifier to set them all to import as new track when you set one of the selected tracks to that option....I hope that makes sense!

Again, thanks for tackling this, @mpl !!
Old 04-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #55
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
being able to import routing (sends/receives as well as master/parent send on or off) is key
master/parent send easy to make
how do you suggest to import sends/receives?
Example, 2 imported tracks has one send. Do I need to match send to some existing send or just add as new track and create send from this track. What if I alreay importing 2 track with send one to another?

Quote:
> option will set it to import as new track at the end of the session

> or at least be able to select several tracks
> set them all to import as new track
In the latest version you can mark track for match or add as new track. Or simply run action (see menu).
Old 04-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #56
todoublez

Quote:
How the source path look like and what options supposed to be in this case? I think I can try handling copy files/set new source (can be tricky though). Currently items data ported directly with no handling paths, moving source etc.
i see, since we can load the session .rpp file before import,
I assumed the script can also get session path and its resources path simultaneously?
cuz all the session folders structure are all the same isn't it ?

on MacOSX if the session path is

MacSSD > Users > mac >Desktop > mix > target session folder > target session .rpp

then the audio source folder's path would be :

MacSSD > Users > mac >Desktop > mix > target session folder > Media
Old 04-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #57
mpl

Not always.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #58
Tone Ranger

Quote:
master/parent send easy to make
how do you suggest to import sends/receives?
Example, 2 imported tracks has one send. Do I need to match send to some existing send or just add as new track and create send from this track. What if I alreay importing 2 track with send one to another?
I can see how it would get messy quick if it had to look for both sends and receives, so I'd think that it should possibly work referencing sends only on the track being imported or matched. It would know to create the send (or match settings) if there was a receive track in the destination project with an exact name match to the receive track in the source project.

For example, if you are importing a track that had a send going to "Plate 1" in the source project, it would look for a track called "Plate 1" in the destination project, or see that a track called "Plate 1" is also being imported into the session using the script, to create the send. If that didn't exist, it wouldn't create the send.

1) When importing new tracks:

- If the track being imported has sends going to a track or tracks that it sees either exist in the destination project already or are also being imported from the source project, it will create sends and match send levels/mutes to those tracks.

- If the track being imported has a send going to a track that doesn't exist either in the destination project already or in the other tracks being imported from the source project, it won't create that send (ignore it).

It would have to find an exact match on the track name to create the send. If there were two tracks in the destination project with the same name (example, 2 tracks called Plate Reverb) maybe a dialog could pop up asking the user to clarify which of the 2 Plate Reverb tracks the send should go to, using a drop down menu to choose the destination track similar to the way the script's main window already works for matching tracks?

2) When matching tracks (not importing new ones):

- If the send already exists from the destination project matched track to the destination project receive track, the script would adjust the send level and mute status of the existing send.

- If the send didn't already exist on the destination project's matched track it would create one and import send level and mute status.

Sorry for that being so wordy, hopefully it makes sense!

Quote:
In the latest version you can mark track for match or add as new track. Or simply run action (see menu).
Oh wow, sorry I missed seeing that in the menu, thank you!!
Old 04-02-2020, 02:30 PM   #59
Triode

Quote:
I can see how it would get messy quick if it had to look for both sends and receives, so I'd think that it should possibly work referencing sends only on the track being imported or matched. It would know to create the send (or match settings) if there was a receive track in the destination project with an exact name match to the receive track in the source project.

For example, if you are importing a track that had a send going to "Plate 1" in the source project, it would look for a track called "Plate 1" in the destination project, or see that a track called "Plate 1" is also being imported into the session using the script, to create the send. If that didn't exist, it wouldn't create the send.
That's well described thanks Tone Ranger, I think I agree with the full description basing sends/receives on track names and with that flow of logic for sending to existing or imported tracks and ignoring otherwise.
Gonna put some more dosh in the hat.
Stay off the wine mpl
Old 04-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #60
mpl

I hardly tried to not break something (again because of bad REAPER design unfortunately), but seems I somehow managed importing sends properly. Hope it works.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #61
pepe44

Thanks, following!
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #62
todoublez

Quote:
Not always.
maybe we can have a option to locate the source file path and copy them into target session's media folder ?
Old 04-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #63
Tone Ranger

Quote:
I hardly tried to not break something (again because of bad REAPER design unfortunately), but seems I somehow managed importing sends properly. Hope it works.
You, sir, are a hero 🔥
Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #64
Tone Ranger

Hello @mpl!!

Just wanted to let you know, I got the following error when trying to import sends:

...portSessionData_functions/mpl_ImportSessionData_data.lua:386: bad argument #1 to 'GetTrackGUID' (MediaTrack expected)

It did switch the master/parent sends, but the sends/receives didn't come in.

I tried both importing the session data to existing tracks in the destination session (which generated the above error), and importing to new tracks (didn't get the error, but sends didn't come in). Interestingly, when importing to new tracks, it brought in audio items when I didn't have it checked, but they were blank with no audio on them. The edits I'd done on the audio in the original session were present on the blank audio items.

Thanks again for trying to make this happen!!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:21 PM   #65
mpl

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know, I got the following error when trying to import sends:

...portSessionData_functions/mpl_ImportSessionData_data.lua:386: bad argument #1 to 'GetTrackGUID' (MediaTrack expected)
Something wrong here, for now just prevented this error.

Quote:
It did switch the master/parent sends, but the sends/receives didn't come in.
It is not a switch for sends. It is as described switch for track master/parent send check. You have to tick needed checks in Track sends import logic section (make sure you run latest version, it is 1.16 at this moment).

Quote:
Interestingly, when importing to new tracks, it brought in audio items when I didn't have it checked, but they were blank with no audio on them. The edits I'd done on the audio in the original session were present on the blank audio items.
Are you sure you didn`t import RAW data? Because if you importing RAW track data, track properties, items, FX chain checks doesn`t matter (again in newest version I made everything hidden if you selected RAW data to import).

Last edited by mpl; 04-03-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:49 AM   #66
Triode

Hi mpl

I think the send import is working with a certain logic

Say I have a return track "Reverb" already in the project and I want to import some drum tracks with their sends to this track. It seems that I need to select the track "Reverb" as a match track. If I do not the sends from the other tracks won't be imported. (I have all the "track receives import logic" options checked for sends)
This means that if I want to import the drum tracks, their fx and their sends to the reverb tracks but I have tweaked the actual reverb in the destination project this will be overwritten. I'd suggest the solution is to remove the necessity to have the return tracks match selected when importing sends to it if the tracks are already present?

A separate bug is in the logic for matching track names (I will send source and destination projects via email).
Firstly if tracks exist that have exactly the same name in both projects these should match.
Secondly I sometimes get slightly random behaviour when trying to match (the glitcy graphics are only licecap being weird don't worry):

Or even when directly picking the track from the list:
Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #67
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Are you sure you didn`t import RAW data? Because if you importing RAW track data, track properties, items, FX chain checks doesn`t matter (again in newest version I made everything hidden if you selected RAW data to import).
@mpl - My other issues are fixed with this new version, sends importing great - full track routing, including sidechains working great. Incredible work, thanks VERY much!!

(Donation sent!)

I seem to have only 2 issues now. First, is that whether or not "Track Items RAW Data" is checked, the script brings in the items. The items are offline however, if I check the item properties it shows the correct file path to the destination session's audio files folder, but when I look in the folder the audio file is not there. So it's not copying the actual audio file over.

The second small issue is that I notice if on a track I have 2 sends going to the same track, the script will copy over only one of the sends. To explain better, I had 2 sends going from the vocal track to the Reverb. One was to send audio to the track to be processed by the reverb, the other was going 'pre fader' to channel 3/4 on the Reverb track to trigger a sidechain on another plugin on that track. But when I imported these tracks to a new session, only one of the 2 sends going to the reverb was brought in.

I may be doing something wrong, but just wanted to check with you on this. Thanks again for all of your hard work, this script is absolutely incredible....I can't believe we have this functionality now!!
Old 04-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #68
mpl

First of all, thanks for donations, guys! Only you make my work possible to do, especially in these not easy days.

Quote:
I seem to have only 2 issues now. First, is that whether or not "Track Items RAW Data" is checked, the script brings in the items. The items are offline however, if I check the item properties it shows the correct file path to the destination session's audio files folder, but when I look in the folder the audio file is not there. So it's not copying the actual audio file over.
I`m searching faster and most clever way to do this for both platforms. For now most safe way (sources not overwritten because of similar names, properly linked etc) to do this is to import other session data, then resave project with used sources by "Save as" and tick "copy all media to project derictory".

Quote:
The second small issue is that I notice if on a track I have 2 sends going to the same track, the script will copy over only one of the sends.
This is by design. I imagine one accidentally click "Import" twice, so single send from track to another will be doubled. This fortunately done by separate condition so for 1.19 I added option in the strategy to enable/disable this.

Quote:
Say I have a return track "Reverb" already in the project and I want to import some drum tracks with their sends to this track. It seems that I need to select the track "Reverb" as a match track. If I do not the sends from the other tracks won't be imported. (I have all the "track receives import logic" options checked for sends)
This have a new option in destination tracklist to ONLY remap sends rather then import/replace parameters AND remap. You can simply disable all track-related checks, but if you import RAW data, then it is problem, so I add sources visual/internal flag for remap routing only without transferring any other data.

Quote:
A separate bug is in the logic for matching track names (I will send source and destination projects via email).
Firstly if tracks exist that have exactly the same name in both projects these should match.
Secondly I sometimes get slightly random behaviour when trying to match (the glitcy graphics are only licecap being weird don't worry)
Matching algorhythm is something I think implemented in a clever way but badly. For now it find firstly exact match, then if not found, matching by most count of matched words source track to the destination track if destination track not already in use.
I can reduce it as an option:
1) up to matching only exact name (ignore upper/lower case) like "Drums" -> "drums"
2) match by first word like "drums bus" -> "drums group"
3) match by first and only word like "drums bus" -> "drums"
4) same option backwards from destination track to the source

Last edited by mpl; 05-06-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:12 AM   #69
Triode

Thanks for the changes mpl.

I'm still getting mis-matches for track names. I'll send you a pair of projects to look at my observations. If you open "destination project 1" and select "source project 1" to be there source. Here's a picture of the tracks that I would expect to match that aren't matching:

For some more tests if you reset and then make it so that just the "Verb" and "Cans" tracks are ready to import as new tracks and turn off "insert/link non-existed sources". (by the way better English would be "non-existing sources")
Like this:

Import those tracks, then what I'd like to be able to achieve is be able to import just the drum track settings without changing the reverb (I may have changed this in a real-life situation). I tried it by doing this but the sends are not imported:

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?
To be clear I'm trying to import all settings to the drum tracks and their sends but not the settings on the returns

Also I tried "only remap sends from this track" but the script crashes with this error: "...mportSessionData_functions/mpl_ImportSessionData_obj.lua:353: bad argument #1 to 'GetTrackName' (MediaTrack expected)"
or if I disable all other options to import such as volume etc and disable also the "track properties" box nothing happens

Last edited by Triode; 04-06-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Triode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #70
mpl

Quote:
Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?
To be clear I'm trying to import all settings to the drum tracks and their sends but not the settings on the returns

Also I tried "only remap sends from this track" but the script crashes with this error: "...mportSessionData_functions/mpl_ImportSessionData_obj.lua:353: bad argument #1 to 'GetTrackName' (MediaTrack expected)"
Ah I get it, you have to select destination send, then check 'Only remap' (it is a check). I fixed that bug and move that check to the end of tracklist in menu. Matching code chunk has lot of disadvantages so I added an option for exact match only by full track name (case sensitive optionally as well, see Menu).
Old 05-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #71
dahya

Hi MPL,

I've just donated as you certainly deserve it for all of your scripts! Anyway...this is the first time I have used your import session data script, and as you can see from the attachment, I don't get any options for the track properties to import, for example volume / pan / phase etc, like other people get in their screenshots on this thread.

Any ideas why? I've already installed the various functions package, and updated to the latest installs for both of these.

Regards, and keep up the good work !

Dahya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPL Import Session Data (2).jpg (32.5 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by dahya; 05-06-2020 at 11:50 AM. Reason: add attachment
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #72
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahya View Post
Any ideas why? I've already installed the various functions package, and updated to the latest installs for both of these.
Thanks for donation.
If you expand script window width, you`ll see top check is a check for raw track data import. I explained that in this post above.

(EDIT) I just edited it so here is updated explanation:
Quote:
There is so much data in pieces of RPP related to the track (items stuff, envelopes etc - everything is inside track chunk), so there are two ways to import it.

1) translate rough text from one RPP to another (almost) without any decoding process. But in this case you can`t choose what you want to translate. It imports anything. And could bring some strange results (especially problems with routing and unique IDs, which I prevented by rough destroing such lines from track chunk while import). Not nice at all. But bring all the existing stuff.

2) When you check which parameters you want to translate, the script:
- insert new temporary track somewhere
- apply raw track chunk from source project to temporary track
- take only parameters or stuff you need using native APIs, no chunking
- remove temporary track.
More smart method. Works way carefully. But doesn`t import all functions, limited to API (I didn`t add support for all btw so ask if something you need still not in list)

Last edited by mpl; 05-06-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #73
dahya

Thanks MPL, I can't believe that it's something so simple as that ! I saw that checkbox, but didn't have a clue what it meant, and it wasn't obvious that there would be these options if you click on it. Plus it looks like it's checked, so thinking that this is the default setting, I didn't touch it.

If you're going to be updating this GUI, you may want to think about maybe having the options showing as default, rather than hiding them, or implementing a different 'widget' to show and hide these options, with maybe a better description than 'track raw data...' ?

Anyway, these are only suggestions, many thanks for your quick response.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #74
tdc

Quote:
Ooops, soory, drunk too much wine when making last updates
:-) love it. Whats the chosen wine in Moscow?

This script is fantastic MPL - thanks very much.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #75
dahya

Hi MPL, so another question / issue:

I imported a track with items on. My cursor pre_import was set to the beginning of the track/project. After import, the items started at bar 13.5 (ie half a bar after bar 13), instead of the original source bar start of bar 9. Why would it import to the middle of a bar, and around 5 bars later than the original source started?

It also seems that some items have been 'stretched' slightly, ie basically longer than the originals (so instead of being 2 bars long, some are now 2.25 bars long) , and so the total time from start to end in the destination items is around 6 seconds longer than the original. Why ?

Some of these items seem to have 'cut' the midi contents/notes at the end of some items, almost as if the contents have been shifted slightly within the item. This made the items unusable as the timing was all off. This may be related to the above (items now 2.25 bars long). Why would this happen?

Thanks again,

Dahya
Old 05-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #76
mpl

Quote:
Hi MPL, so another question / issue:

I imported a track with items on. My cursor pre_import was set to the beginning of the track/project. After import, the items started at bar 13.5 (ie half a bar after bar 13), instead of the original source bar start of bar 9. Why would it import to the middle of a bar, and around 5 bars later than the original source started?

It also seems that some items have been 'stretched' slightly, ie basically longer than the originals (so instead of being 2 bars long, some are now 2.25 bars long) , and so the total time from start to end in the destination items is around 6 seconds longer than the original. Why ?

Some of these items seem to have 'cut' the midi contents/notes at the end of some items, almost as if the contents have been shifted slightly within the item. This made the items unusable as the timing was all off. This may be related to the above (items now 2.25 bars long). Why would this happen?
Importing doesn't reflect to time selection or edit cursor. It just import stuff as is. Really hard to say what happened without a project to test, but I would guess you have:
  • different project offset
  • different default project timebase behaviour for items
  • different tempo and time signature
Like, in your source project items were ok, but their timebase was set to something other than "Beats(position only)". So when the item travel to New project with slower tempo, Reaper stretch them and shift respectively.

Last edited by mpl; 05-06-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:33 AM   #77
dahya

Hi MPL, that is a very good guess, and I think you may be correct, as for the source project I had to change the timebase for a video track (a different one to the one that I was importing) so that I could sync to it.

Also the tempos were different in the source and destination as I was trying to see how it works.

Thanks for your quick response.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:15 AM   #78
dahya

Hi MPL, so another question, with regards tempo, I believe that this script currently doesn't import a tempo, and I can appreciate why, but how about:
  1. Maybe just showing the source project tempo; or
  2. Maybe even showing a list of tempo changes and at which bar? or
  3. Maybe actually having the option of importing the tempo changes (first showing tempo details so you know what you're importing)?

I think it would certainly be helpful if for example you were trying to re-create another project with only using some tracks, although I also appreciate that you could quite easily copy the project and remove any excess tracks etc.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #79
mpl

Quote:
Maybe actually having the option of importing the tempo changes
v1.21: Added check for parsing/import tempo and timesignature envelope.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:04 AM   #80
dahya

Quote:
v1.21: Added check for parsing/import tempo and timesignature envelope.
Wow, that was quick, thanks MPL, I'm very impressed !

So I've tested it on a project which had a couple of tempo markers /settings, and it certainly imports the tempo correctly at the moment, however I noticed that the Regions and Markers don't seem to follow suit, almost as if the last change you made doesn't impact the Regions/Markers, whereas it should (see attached image, where the region should start at bar 9).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Import Session Region Issue.jpg (27.0 KB, 137 views)