Old 03-15-2020, 12:37 AM   #1
pimlu
Human being with feelings

Default Midi messages "dropped" from Oxygen 25

Hello, I am encountering an issue with MIDI that I've determined is not a bug in Reaper. (If I'm supposed to solve non-Reaper issues on my own, let me know...)

Essentially the problem is, when I press a chord on the piano, there's a tiny chance that one of the notes will be missing. When I release the chord, there is a tiny chance that that note will be stuck on and keep playing until I tap it again. In the ReaControlMidi log, the note on/note off events are missing (I play 3 notes, and 2 notes turn on).

I've checked this isn't a bug in a VST or even in Reaper. I installed PianoRollComposer (which is just an application using MIDI besides Reaper that I could use for free) and the same bug happens. This can happen on any key of the keyboard with seemingly equal chance.

I'm using an Oxygen 25. Has anyone seen an issue like this? There's no drivers to install, it's just behaving as a standardized USB MIDI device.
pimlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
Space Raiders

This sounds like it could possibly be a USB issue. In Device Manager (assuming you have Windows), go to the keyboard > right click and go to properties > power management tab . Make sure "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not selected. Also, enure the device is plugged in directly to the computer and not a hub because it may not provide enough power.

I doubt this will fix it but it's worth trying.
Space Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:33 AM   #3
pimlu

Hey, thanks for replying. You're right that it's a Windows/USB issue - I just plugged it into my cheap Mac with GarageBand installed and had no problem playing chords. I would love to just switch to the Mac, but most of the free VSTs I have are Windows-only (and the Mac has a really slow CPU).

I tried going into device manager, but it looks like with Windows 10, my system has "Connected Standby" enabled which hides the power options in device manager. I will keep searching for things to try though.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
pimlu

Solved this, it was indeed a power problem. Although ultimately, I couldn't figure out a way to change the Windows 10 power settings to satisfy the keyboard. For anyone who has the same issue:

Instead, I plugged in a powered USB hub to do it for me, and that worked. No dropped keys anymore. (It's one of those hubs that has an external 5V AC adapter to give more power than the computer itself can provide.)

So with this resolved, I think I'm ready to get Reaper for myself. Thanks for the help, and thanks cockos for making such a great product!
Old 04-24-2020, 04:51 AM   #5
LugNut

Hi,
Way to go pimlu! And welcome.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote